I remember seeing a thread about the annoyances of working in retail. It seems like every other customer is an asshole to the people working in the store, or the other way round.

When I go to guitar stores, I often feel like I'm a huge annoyance to the staff. I try to be polite, but I can't help but feel that I'm doing something wrong. For example, I once asked to try an amplifier (Bugera combo = huge and heavy) and the man who worked there had to drag it to the sound testing room. I gave him a hand with it, but I felt bad for putting him through all the trouble.

So here's a question to the people who work in retail:
What kind of person makes a good customer? Does it just come down to buying something and not being an asshole? Or do you have certain expectations? Be honest

Just being curious.

Thanks in advance for all the (relevant) replies.
problem is, as soon as you make employees work, you're being a nuisance to them. Nobody feels like working, and asking them for service is keeping them from lounging about and doing nothing and getting paid for it.

Of course you feel bad when asking questions, because any normal employee doesn't really give a shit. He's there because he needs cash, not because he wants to help you.
Of course it's his job, and of course you're not doing anything wrong, but I know how you feel, I worked in retail once and to this day I still feel like a nuisance for asking people for help.
Staff always seem friendly when I ask them for help

Occasionally you'll get some grumpy guy but I don't really feel guilty for making them do the work they're being paid to do.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
A good customer knows what they're looking for, or at least knows what they need so that the employee can tell them what they should be looking at. A good customer is polite, and is receptive to the information that is provided by the employee. A good customer realizes that the employee is only there to help them, he/she did not set the prices, create store policy, etc...

This site is amazing by the way:
http://notalwaysright.com/
Here's some do's and don'ts:

DO always ask to try out instruments. It establishes a hierarchy.
DON'T make like you are Jimi Hendrix or Pete Townsend and smash guitars. It makes a mess.
DO ask questions on specs and price
DON'T Try and talk technical with guitars
I work at Best Buy and I don't usually mind helping customers since it helps the day to go by faster. Then again, I live in Quebec, so I'm mainly dealing with french people...and I suck at french. I can usually tell if I'm going to dislike a customer just by the way they approach me. So if they whistle me over, point at me to come over, or something else rude along those lines, I tend to dislike them. Other then that, I don't really mind serving people, and it seems to be that way for the people I work with too.
I have only seen a really into his job kind of guy who tried to change what I wanted to what he liked... I ended up buying strings I don't like. Other then that the people I talk to are happy to help.
A good customer is one who orders online, and gets the item delivered, so as not to bother the in-store staff.
Quote by Kensai
Staff always seem friendly when I ask them for help

Occasionally you'll get some grumpy guy but I don't really feel guilty for making them do the work they're being paid to do.

Until they go "Hey... Arent you Kensai?" At which time you're gone in a poof of smoke like kaiser soze.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by MightyAl
A good customer is one who orders online, and gets the item delivered, so as not to bother the in-store staff.

and doesn't ask stupid questions like "What size do I wear?"
Quote by jfreyvogel
A good customer knows what they're looking for, or at least knows what they need so that the employee can tell them what they should be looking at. A good customer is polite, and is receptive to the information that is provided by the employee. A good customer realizes that the employee is only there to help them, he/she did not set the prices, create store policy, etc...

This site is amazing by the way:
http://notalwaysright.com/

This site is hilarious

I always try to be nice to employees when I need them to help me with something. If they're bothered, I don't really care.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by sashki
For example, I once asked to try an amplifier (Bugera combo = huge and heavy) and the man who worked there had to drag it to the sound testing room. I gave him a hand with it, but I felt bad for putting him through all the trouble.

His problem, not yours. If he's working there and subsequently getting paid then he should be prepared to do a bit of work, you know? Besides, they don't expect you to buy an amp without taking it for a test drive.
They get paid to help you, you shouldn't feel bad for relying on that.
I also hate it when I have to clean stuff other people screwed up, but it is my job. It's what I get paid for.
Oh, you wouldn't want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise, they wouldn't wanna watch
A good customer waits in line, goes up to the left of the counter and says clearly what soup they want. Upon being served the soup they will pay and leave quickly.