Recently my wah has started making a wierd noise, when I use it. It is fine when it is on and not in use, it only occurs when I rock it. The noise is a sort of crackling type sound. I cannot return it as I bought in America about 2 years ago. The pedal in question is a Dunlop Crybaby Classic. Has anybody heard of this before, and knows how to fix it? Thanks
Gear
Gibson SG Standard with Bare Knuckle Riff Raff and Stormy Monday
Fender Eric Clapton Signature Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fulltone OCD
EHX Holy Grail Nano
BYOC Tone Bender Clone
Korg Pitchblack
Fender Bassman '59 Reissue
Pot oxidation.

Get some contact cleaner with that tiny straw plugged into the spray can, and find that pot connected to the gear, and spray inside.

Rock it a few times then test again.
Cleaning is a stop-gap measure. Replace the pot.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
So where will I find the pot? And will it be hard or expensive to replace?
Gear
Gibson SG Standard with Bare Knuckle Riff Raff and Stormy Monday
Fender Eric Clapton Signature Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fulltone OCD
EHX Holy Grail Nano
BYOC Tone Bender Clone
Korg Pitchblack
Fender Bassman '59 Reissue
Quote by Mikeyw1233
So where will I find the pot? And will it be hard or expensive to replace?

Definitely need soldering skills and knowledge of connection to replace it.

You might need to take it to a tech.

I am puzzled why a 2 year old model is starting to show this crackling sound, unless it's not really 2 years old but you bought it used, and it is much older than that.

Easiest way is just get a contact cleaner (NOT WD40). Those used for cleaning vcr heads should work.

You'll be surprised how long the problem would go away. My cheap strat's crackling tonepot has not had any flare ups since the last time I cleaned it a few years ago.
Quote by forsaknazrael
No chance of getting contact cleaner inside a Dunlop Hot Potz, they're sealed. Needs to be replaced.
You can get one from Dunlop, or even from musiciansfriend.com, I think.

If you're gonna replace it anyway, then it wouldn't harm to try to crack it open to get the contact cleaner there.

If it doesn't work, then you replace the pot.

What have you got to lose?

I've cracked open DPDT switches to repair them and then seal them back myself using plastic steel epoxies.
Quote by Mikeyw1233
Recently my wah has started making a wierd noise, when I use it. It is fine when it is on and not in use, it only occurs when I rock it. The noise is a sort of crackling type sound. I cannot return it as I bought in America about 2 years ago. The pedal in question is a Dunlop Crybaby Classic. Has anybody heard of this before, and knows how to fix it? Thanks

The dunlop build quality isn't great, My original started doing this after 6 months of minimal use, CBF'ed to replace the pot
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by forsaknazrael
Have you ever opened one? I haven't. They look pretty well sealed to me...got one right in front of me right nao. Don't see any way to open it up.

A switch is much easier to open up, I've done that tons of times.

If it's really not possible to open it up, then obviously we should not be replacing it with another sealed dunlop pot.

Maybe should consider other pots that could be opened up for easy repairs next time since this 'sealed' pot is showing problems so early anyway.

Don't wanna pay so much for a pot that don't last when you could save money buying cheaper pots, which may not as well but at least you could open them up for repairs easily.