As the title says pretty much. I've been playing for a little over a year (about 14 months), and I've made very litttle progress. I don't know any full songs, only bits and pieces of several. Recently I haven't been able to learn any thing new either, I've tried, but I can't. I really hate the way playing sounds, and it seems recently I've been getting worse as well. A month or two ago I loved guitar, but now I almost hate it, and I find playing it very depressing.

I want to love playing guitar, but I can't seem to atm. I'm seriously considering giving up right now, if I can't make any progress, before I put any more money into it. Help! Please.
what are you learning? Music should be fun. I started out with metal and such and then got bored because i wasnt having fun with it. I switched to blues funk pop and prog and started loving the instrument all over again. There is so much you can do ith 6 strings if you just express yourself and not whats cool at the moment.
what do you love about the guitar that got you started? practice that.
also work on your tone and smoothness, not what exactly you play. so start with simple stuff. and dont forget to have you own fun with it, dont just play tabs. make up a cool chord progression or something!
This may sound stupid, but quit for awhile. While I've only been playing for 4 months, my dad has played for 20+ years. He's definately not a great guitar player, but he really enjoys it. If it becomes a chore, or "unfun", he'll put it down, sometimes for a year or more. Then he'll get the bug and pick it up again and have a great time playing. I mayself know I'll never make it as a musician ( I'm 43 yo) so I just play to please myself and have FUN.

So, just take a break for awhile. Soon enough i imagine you'll catch the bug and be back at it fresh and new.
Quote by MikeHYA
what are you learning? Music should be fun. I started out with metal and such and then got bored because i wasnt having fun with it. I switched to blues funk pop and prog and started loving the instrument all over again. There is so much you can do ith 6 strings if you just express yourself and not whats cool at the moment.

Metal, hard rock, classic rock, grunge and some classical. I'm tempted to even just put it down for a wee while and maybe take up a wee bit of violin, about 90% of the classical I like is written for violin.

What happens when you try to learn a full song?

I either get bored of the song, can't find whole tabs for it, or the rest I find too difficult, and give up on it after trying to learn the part for a month or two.
1. Find out what you want to play. Most people don't really know when they start out. Experiment with different styles. See what makes you excited to play.

2. Find songs that match your level. Many people pick songs that are too hard when they are starting out and end up getting discouraged.

3. Learn the whole song. Start from the beginning and go straight through to the end. Don't skip around, and don't learn just parts.

4. Work on two songs at a time so if you get frustrated or bored with one you can work on the other.

5. Watch video lessons on youtube, read articles and columns, talk to people in the forums, and learn the basics of theory.

6. Put in the hours. You're only as good as the time you put in (assuming you are putting it towards the right things). If you're only playing one hour a day now try to make it two. That alone should do a lot for your progress.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at May 26, 2010,
Do you or have you taken lessons before? I took lessons for my first two years of playing and I really think they helped me get going. Even though I was young (13-15 years old) and didn't practice my material as much as I should have, it helped to have someone consistently pushing me along. If you aren't able to get lessons, find other musicians to play around with. If you can't find someone to play with, at least get yourself a looper pedals so you can play along with yourself. BTW, this is not an uncommon issue among guitarists and it also happens to players who have been playing for 10 or 20 years so don't feel like you're the only one. Good luck!
You can play simple chords right? How many songs are just made of simple chords? I'm positive you can play those.

Youtube Last Kiss by pearl jam and play along, it's four chords, G, Em, C, D. That's it. And it's a great song.

Black by pearl Jam is just as easy - E to A most of the time. Then there's a D and C at one point. Four chords bro.

The beatles? Tons of easy stuff. Let it be is basically C, G, Am, F. That's it bro. 4 Chords, classic, inspiring, great songs.

If you can't play those yet along with the songs, then practice them.

If you're talking about more advanced stuff, then you have more reason to listen to me, because at least these will fall under "songs you know completely".
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
I've "quit" many times since I started ~13 years ago.. once for about 3 or 4 years. Each time it got to the point where I just didn't care anymore because I wasn't getting any better and every time I tried to play fast or complicated stuff it sounded mediocre at best and absolutely terrible at worst.

Each time I picked it up again I noticed there was a problem in my old technique. The first time I noticed that I had been trying to elbow pick before, now I only use my wrist. Second time I noticed that I had zero vibrato before, now I unconsciously vibrato every note longer than a few milliseconds. Third time I came back (somewhat recently) I finally admitted to myself I needed to start using my pinky a bit more. Now that I'm more 'experienced' I notice several things about my technique that still need improvement (e.g. bend vibrato, alternate picking, keeping fingers close to the board), which spurs me on to keep practicing.

If you don't want to quit just yet, take a good hard look at your technique and see if there's anything specific that you could improve. Even just one single thing has been enough to keep me going for months in the past.

Quote by robhc
I either get bored of the song, can't find whole tabs for it, or the rest I find too difficult, and give up on it after trying to learn the part for a month or two.

That was one of my biggest issues (in bold). Find simpler songs that are still fun. I used to try to play Steve Vai and Dream Theater stuff, look in my sig to see what I play these days (much easier stuff, which I still don't play 'perfectly'). It's far more satisfying to play an 'easy' song extremely well than it is to play a hard song poorly.
Last edited by van01010100 at May 26, 2010,
DUDE, i was in the same situation, i just didn't have the technique to learn, like i would read a tab and just get confused, then i put it down and after a while i really wanted to play and learn, so i went and got a decent electric guitar and i started taking lessons, and i had my teacher take me from the beginning, i had never learned any theory, so he started me on scales, c scales, pentatonic scales, we did them in different time signatures, and whole notes, half notes, quarter notes, eigth notes, 16ths, and triplets, we did this for a while, i was having a blast playing scales, then we started playing songs, and we chose some stevie ray vaughan, since me and my teacher both like him, and now i'm a novice player and i'm playing stevie ray vaughan, i never thought it was possible, but it's awesome, and i've only been taking lessons for 3 months now....
I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMEONE SHOT ME IN THE HEAD!!!
I know you don't really want to spend money - lessons are a way to help discipline yourself to stick to a practice schedule and actually learn something.

If you're not ready to take lessons, I enjoy the Hal Leonard play along books - blues play along, acoustic anthology, or even more academic books like blues guitar.

Transcribing a song on your own is tedious and time consuming if you haven't been blessed with significant music talent and a great ear.

Also when you approach learning a new song, the song is typically broken down into sections: Verse, Chorus, Bridge, Solo, etc. Break the song your trying to learn into it's different sections and tackle one at a time - get the verse down 100% correctly, then get the chorus, then put the two together and you can play 1/2 the song.

Some contemporary Christian rock is very good and the structure easy to understand/figure out - great place to get through some songs 100%.

Remember - How do you move a mountain? 1 stone at a time. Same with music - becoming a proficient guitar player/musician is the mountain you need to move. Work in small pieces to make progress.

Enjoy!
Last edited by progrmr at May 26, 2010,
I think that there is enough advice on this thread but so far I've realised that this can cheer anyone up

What is this so called..... Signature?
Quote by robhc

It might be that your problem is the way you're learning the song. I used to get bored of songs and move on, the reason was because I was spending too long learning individual riffs. I'd practice my ass off getting the intro riff right and refuse to move on until I got that absolutely perfect, the result was that I lost all motivation to learn the song and a new song would take my fancy.
What I do now is to learn the first riff so I don't have to look at the tab and I can play it at whatever speed (slower), doesn't have to sound great or anything. Once I've done that, I move on to the next riff and do the same thing. Every so often I go back and practice the previous riffs and perfect them at my leisure. This enabled me to learn full songs, so I hope this helps you too!

Also, if your problem is with poor tabs, try learning stuff by ear, you can use the crappy tab as a guideline or just learn something that no-one else has tabbed.

P.S. That duck ****ing rocks!
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by robhc
As the title says pretty much. I've been playing for a little over a year (about 14 months), and I've made very litttle progress. I don't know any full songs, only bits and pieces of several. Recently I haven't been able to learn any thing new either, I've tried, but I can't. I really hate the way playing sounds, and it seems recently I've been getting worse as well. A month or two ago I loved guitar, but now I almost hate it, and I find playing it very depressing.

I want to love playing guitar, but I can't seem to atm. I'm seriously considering giving up right now, if I can't make any progress, before I put any more money into it. Help! Please.

I suggest you should pick up only "One Song" and try to learn it , not try actually , Just learn it ..
pick up a song which you like most and imagine yourself playing it..
Push yourself in learning it .
Once you've learnt it it will give you alot energy to continue

In any case if you failed.

Try changing the instrument
Quote by Aleksi
It might be that your problem is the way you're learning the song. I used to get bored of songs and move on, the reason was because I was spending too long learning individual riffs.
I'd practice my ass off getting the intro riff right and refuse to move on until I got that absolutely perfect, the result was that I lost all motivation to learn the song
and a new song would take my fancy.
What I do now is to learn the first riff so I don't have to look at the tab and I can play it at whatever speed (slower), doesn't have to sound great or anything. Once I've done that, I move on to the next riff and do the same thing. Every so often I go back and practice the previous riffs and perfect them at my leisure. This enabled me to learn full songs, so I hope this helps you too!

Also, if your problem is with poor tabs, try learning stuff by ear, you can use the crappy tab as a guideline or just learn something that no-one else has tabbed.

P.S. That duck ****ing rocks!

indent - I disagree
Bold - you should consider it for future
i did have this ideal about 2 yrs ago, and now i'm starting to pick up new songs and also guitar seems more fun to play with friend than alone. seriously if you are thinking of giving up, you can just give the guitar a break and come back to it when you think that you are ready.
Whatever you do don't give up. There are tons of people on this forum that can help you out. If there is anything in particular that you need help with don't be afraid to ask.

Kind Regards,
Jeff
I think all guitar players get into "ruts" at some point. I get into them quite often. When this happens I usually try practicing different things. I try to spend most of my time learning songs that I can use to play in a beer joint band. When I get burnt out on that kind of music I will play something for fun, for example i've been picking at some chet atkins, knowing I will most likely not be able to use it in a paying gig. My best advice would be to play everyday. Develop some kind of routine. You don't have to follow it step by step. Also try learning different styles of music. I really started getting into jazz for this reason. The tubes in my marshall needed replacing and all I had was a Line 6 Spider. I didn't like the metal tone I got out of the spider. I just couldn't stand hearing the sound it made. Even If i just picked a power chord...it didn't sound heavy to me. I found with jazz it was more about the technique (not to say that metal doesn't require good technique). Playing octaves and block chords really started to fill the room so to speak. For me a jazz tone is easier to achieve than a metal tone. Also try playing to backing tracks. There would be parts of songs that I would avoid because they didn't sound professional when played by themselves. When I started practicing those parts to backing tracks it started to "fill the room" and sound a lot better. Best of Luck to you!
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
Quote by robhc
As the title says pretty much. I've been playing for a little over a year (about 14 months), and I've made very litttle progress.

You've only been playing for a year what do you expect? You aren't gonna become a great guitarist overnight. Just practice some more.

I don't know any full songs, only bits and pieces of several. Recently I haven't been able to learn any thing new either, I've tried, but I can't.

Pick some songs that you enjoy, and learn them. It's not that you can't it's just that you're either A) being lazy and not practicing enough, B) you're trying something that is to hard, or C) playing something that doesn't interest you.

I really hate the way playing sounds, and it seems recently I've been getting worse as well. A month or two ago I loved guitar, but now I almost hate it, and I find playing it very depressing.

1st make sure that your guitar is in tune. If it's out of tune by even a little bit you'll sound like shit no matter how good your technique is.
2nd make sure your technique is good. If that's not good you'll play solos wrong, and your chords may not sound right.

You'll have to put some effort into it like I said before. Good luck.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"