You can use it two ways. With the drive turned down and the volume turned up you can use it as a signal boost to "overdrive" the amp, making it distort.
Or you can add distortion within the pedal itself by turning up the drive control which is supposed to simulate an overdriven amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

So if I understand well, you bought a pedal even knowing what it does
Quote by Sguit

So if I understand you well, you commented without understanding well.

Just kidding.

TS - What cathbard said. With your amp you'd be more likely to do the first one.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Sguit

you extrapolated that conclusion, way to make assumptions
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
It would get you more br00tlz.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
What Cathbard said. Also, most OD pedals are based on the Ibanez TS808 tubescreamer and share it's tonal properties - which means they cut some bass. Metal players tend to like this because it makes the sound "tighter".
Quote by TheQuailman
What Cathbard said. Also, most OD pedals are based on the Ibanez TS808 tubescreamer and share it's tonal properties - which means they cut some bass. Metal players tend to like this because it makes the sound "tighter".

I doubt most OD pedals are based on the TS808, some of them are.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove

Eh, arguably most are. He's not saying they're all clones, though in the boutique OD department they damn near are. Based on and copy of are two different things.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by FuzzLove

I think you'd be surprised at how many actually are.

Fixing the lack of bass response on a tubescreamer is easy - if that's what you want.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by FuzzLove

Most are... either in terms of tone or circuitry or both. It takes very little change in the circuit to fundamentally change a pedal's tone, so two pedals that don't sound much alike can still have fairly similar blueprints. On the other hand, the 808 sound is pretty iconic, so it's copied often.
Quote by TheQuailman
Most are... either in terms of tone or circuitry or both. It takes very little change in the circuit to fundamentally change a pedal's tone, so two pedals that don't sound much alike can still have fairly similar blueprints. On the other hand, the 808 sound is pretty iconic, so it's copied often.

The list of direct 808 copies is huge. Then add the 808 circuits with added features or slight tweaks, then add the 'inspired by' type of pedals, then finally the 'loosely based on' ones and you've got a huge portion of the market.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I was aware that a lot of OD pedals were, but I didn't realise that the a large majority were, interesting.

So when you hear of people modding their Tubescreamers, is that usually to fix bass response? Or are there many other mods that noticably change the sound? Just wondering why so many people mod them.

I think 'loosely based on' is abit too much, you could say that about anything to do with anything.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.