Hi, my first post here.

Some background: I've been playing for 25 years, started off with a classical guitar by a company that has gone to ground some time ago, then a Strat copy by the same company - a piece of cr*p (I didn't know better at that time - also no Internet for information), sold it, got a Fenix Strat copy (I was amazed to see that it's still selling for more or less what I payed for it 15 years ago http://cgi.ebay.de/90s-FENIX-SUPER-STR-T-made-by-YOUNG-CHANG-/120571050436?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Gitarren&hash=item1c129839c4) for playing in a progressive/southern/hard rock band. After we broke up I doodled around a bit on the electric, but two years ago I heard Tommy Emmanuel, got completely taken in by the possibilities of fingerpicking style and started using the classical again. The guitar I own has seen better days - in one of my experiments with disastrous consequences I put metal strings on a classical guitar and warped it pretty badly, so I had to lower the saddle drastically and drill holes into the body behind the saddle and must now string the guitar through these holes with the help of snipped-of metal rings from a set of metal strings. The frets are worn, there are some indentations from bumps, the varnish has worn off,... a luthier has said it's not worth repairing and I agree.

So now I'm in the process of buying myself a new acoustic-electric classic guitar. I really prefer the sound of nylon, e.g., Chet Atkins' Mr. Bojangles and the stuff by Buster B. Jones and others. I have more or less narrowed the choice down to either Takamine EG128SC and Ibanez AEG10NE. They are both within my budget (if I play much more, I will invest in a better guitar in a few year, but now there are other priorities) and both get great reviews as being excellent value for money. I am leaning more towards the Takamine, as I've gathered that the Ibanez has a shallow body, is relatively quiet acoustically and more or less needs to be plugged into an amp. I anticipate using the pickups more or less for recordings and from what I've read the Takamine acoustic sound is very good and full. I will of course go to a shop and check out both guitars by playing them.

But I'd also like to get a simple low-budget amp, to use both with the electro-acoustic and electric for an occasional Smoke on the Water . After looking through what's on the market, I think that the Roland Micro Cube http://www.roland.com/products/en/Micro-CUBE/ would be perfect - it costs around 100EUR, has simple effects, can run on batteries, holds the tone at lower volumes (where I'll likely be using it) and, as long as you take little care with the connectors, it's quite rugged. I really don't need much more and most of my playing will be for me, at home.

But the question I have is whether this amp is suited to a electro-classical guitar. It does have "acoustic" and "jazz chorus clean" channels, but they still might be too processed. Does anyone have any experience with this? And if not, what amp would you recommend. As stated, the power is not crucial, the small size is and the price should be relatively low, up to 150EUR. I will of course try out the Micro Cube, but if it doesn't work well, I'd like to know my options.

Cheers,
Jan
Last edited by JanKalin at May 26, 2010,
i am not able to hear what "too processed" is, but you must remember yo u are paying for a 100EUR amp.

I have the micro cube with a electric solid body and both those channels sound fine to me.
What I meant was that, according to what I've read, the "acoustic" channel is not actually a clean channel, but is processed to make an electric guitar sound like an acoustic, so I was wondering whether a nylon electro-acoustic might sound "doubly" acoustic . I suppose that the JC clean actually is a clean, i.e., no processing channel.