http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1269155.stm

Quote by Article
A virus which hijacks part of the human genetic code may have some link to the mental illness schizophrenia.

The retrovirus may have invaded human DNA millions of years ago and been carried down through generations, say scientists.

The experts believe that some activity from the retrovirus may have some unknown effect on the brain, perhaps contributing to a number of cases of schizophrenia.

Okay guys I know this is old, but I thought this would be an interesting read for those of you who haven't seen this before. So any thoughts?
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Your av doesn't match the situation.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
So, they found another cause for it.
But what about the drug and chemical induced schizophrenia? I don't think viruses cause those.
Last edited by DeadlyIllness at May 26, 2010,
Quote by Momentosis
Your av doesn't match the situation.

Sorry what was that? I couldn't hear you over the voices.

Does that match the situation?
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
So, the schizophrenia the virus voicing it's opinion?
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by DeadlyIllness
But what about the drug and chemical induced schizophrenia? I don't think viruses cause those.

You just answered your own question Drug and chemical induced schizophrenia are induced by drugs and chemicals. The difference here is they found a possible cause for schizophrenia. Chemicals don't really give you schizophrenia, it just intensifies the symptoms in those who have it, and have schizophrenia-esque side effects for those who don't. This is assuming we're talking illegal drugs here, though.
Quote by DeadlyIllness

I don't think this relates to the chemical induced schizophrenia. But I think this might have some validity. That could explain why some people get it other than the bullshit excuses they were using in the past.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by DeadlyIllness

They only occur in people who had a schizophrenic tendency before.

Interesting "news" (seriously, it's from 2001, before I even knew what the internet was!), I hope scientists will be able to implement this into better ways of fighting the illness.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Sorry what was that? I couldn't hear you over the voices.

Does that match the situation?

Sounds like this virus might be affecting you.

Better check yourself in.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by VolumeControl
schizophrenia is nothing. it's all in your head.
pa-dum ching
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by jimmyled
They only occur in people who had a schizophrenic tendency before.

This is not quite accurate. Drug - induced psychoses can happen in people with no prior symptoms of any sort, due to organic damage to the brain and/or changes to neurotransmission.

Technically speaking, any time you space out for a long time (while jamming, paying attention to something really hard, focusing on a project, whatever) it can be argued that you are dissociating, which is a characteristic of certain types of schizophrenia. However since it doesn't impede your ability to function in society it's not considered a disorder, just a personality trait or "quirk."