Poll: Which kit?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which kit?
Warmoth explorer (and reverse jackson neck) ~£1200
12 57%
GFS kit - (and some electronics upgrades) ~£450
8 38%
Save up and buy a different build/guitar.
1 5%
Voters: 21.
I've gone with warmoth the extra time it will take for me to save up is allowing me to make a full spec.. it's further down on this page. I will copy it over some time.

HELLO!

Last edited by JamesLPs at May 26, 2010,
Warmouth is 3 times pricier than GFS, thus you can buy 3 GFS for each warmouth.
3 guitars > 1 guitar.

Also, im presuming that when you upgrade electronics and stuff they will be a similar quality to warmouth guitar?
In that case, i dont think that better wood is worth that much.

Have you ever played an explorer before? Because i liked the look of a gibson dot, played one and hated it... it just didnt feel right. Would hate to see someone spend over a grand to make a guitar that didnt feel right.

So yeh, go for GFS.
Probably not to the same standard but not too far off I guess, I would most likely buy the kit, make it and finish it and then see if I like it then upgrade if I do so I guess it would be more like £200 and more if I like it you know?

HELLO!

I think it comes down to what will make you happy. If I knew I could have saved up for the warmoth, but I was too impatient, I'd be less happy in the long run. I'd say save up for the warmoth if you can get exactly what you want (which, you can!), otherwise, just get the GFS.
I am seriously pushed towards warmoth on the thought that I must use it more, and that it will be what I really want.. hmm keep the comments coming

HELLO!

Quote by JamesLPs
I am seriously pushed towards warmoth on the thought that I must use it more, and that it will be what I really want.. hmm keep the comments coming

I think you should get the warmoth. Trust me on this one, you never regret not having been able to spend money on something else as you do on cheaping out and losing money anyway because you ended up with something that's crap.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by minnis

3 guitars > 1 guitar.

yeah, but Quality>Quantity
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I think that I will go with warmoth in the circumstances that it fills my requirements for a heavy guitar - (I was looking at a PRS SE torero) but if I can replicate that in explorer form then i'd be willing to pay what is only slightly more..

Do you guys think I could manage that?

HELLO!

Go for the Warmoth parts, if I had the money and experience with building guitars that's what I'd be going for!
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
I guess I'm pretty set on warmoth then I'll use this thread to make a spec

Body
Core wood I'm thinking swamp ash or mahogany?
Top I want flamed or quilt maple, still deciding

Neck
Frets 24
Scale Length 25 1/2"
Neck wood I'm not too sure
How would a bloodwood or purple heart fretboard be?
Neck Shape Wide Thin
Inlays maybe shark fins

Hardware
Bridge Floyd Rose Tremolo
Tuners Grover
Hardware Type Not sure - which colour for natural? gold?
Treble Pickup Bare knuckle miracle man
Middle pickup - fender lace sensor
Bass Pickup ??

1 vol 1 tone and 5 way switch

natural finish...

I'm getting a body blank and getting it cut out and I will probably sand and carve to (what should be) perfection..

HELLO!

Last edited by JamesLPs at May 26, 2010,
Quote by JamesLPs
I'm getting a body blank and getting it cut out and I will probably sand and carve to (what should be) perfection..

Are you any good at woodwork?
EH

Quote by JamesLPs
Hardware Type Not sure - which colour for natural? gold?

if its a dark wood like mahogany, then chrome hardware. As you're thinking of a maple top, then i'd say black, to contrast with the lighter wood.

Good luck with the build
I know a place that can do CNC cuts so no i'm not good at wood work but i've carved and sanded before just need the majority cutting out.

And thanks I'll look through some different hardwares on natural finishes

HELLO!

Warmoth's your better bet, but I've been looking at the GFS Les Paul kits myself. It's the only Les Paul kit I've seen on the internet (excluding Warmoth) that actually uses Mahogany instead of something like Basswood. I was thinking of buying that kit just for the body and neck, and then buying better electronics and hardware somewhere else.
Where do people stand on OFR trems vs Schaller floyd rose trems and Schaller tuners to Grover tuners?

Thx guys

HELLO!

Id say warmoth

Ya it is a bit more, but in the long run it will be totally worth it. Think of it as buying a Gibson Les Paul vs. a Wal-Mart Les Paul lol

Plus GFS bodies dont match the necks sometimes, so you could warp it and it is more prone in cracking.

I plan on making a Warmoth because i know ill have that guitar forever
Quote by GibsonKid213
Id say warmoth

Ya it is a bit more, but in the long run it will be totally worth it. Think of it as buying a Gibson Les Paul vs. a Wal-Mart Les Paul lol

Surprise! They're the same quality!

</Gibson hater>

I know you've already made your decision and everything, TS, but I'd just like to say that I recently made a warmoth purchase (custom body and neck, built to my exact specs and everything) and can't wait until it gets here. Idk if you've gone through their "online builder" thing before, but you'll find that they have countless options for you to choose from, so you know you're really getting exactly what you want.
Yeah I'm definately going warmoth now I just went through the online options they're great although looking at it I don't know if I've changed my mind about the explorer shape...

And have the forums been updated a bit?

HELLO!

Quote by minnis
Warmouth is 3 times pricier than GFS, thus you can buy 3 GFS for each warmouth.
3 guitars > 1 guitar..

Gotta disagree... One quality guitar > 3 crappy guitars. Trust me, I bought a bunch of midrange stuff and then i finally bought the one guitar i actually wanted and loved it, and don't touch the others anymore.
GFS is not at all total crap(i've used their parts and they're awesome), but i've heard a lot of great stuff about warmoth builds.
Also, aren't the GFS kits made outta dodgy woods? also the hardware is cheap, it's not the same as the GFS stuff.
Blackstar HT 5
George Dennis Spitfire 2x10
LTD GL 200M
Agile Ghost III
Warmoth SSS Tele with Floyd Rose
Ibanez Artcore AM73
I <3 Arcade Fire, Rainbow, Dungen, Muse, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Kate Bush etc.
ROCK OPERA!!
UG Rock Opera tracks
Quote by Seref
Warmoth's your better bet, but I've been looking at the GFS Les Paul kits myself. It's the only Les Paul kit I've seen on the internet (excluding Warmoth) that actually uses Mahogany instead of something like Basswood. I was thinking of buying that kit just for the body and neck, and then buying better electronics and hardware somewhere else.

You didnt look TOO hard then. Guitaraust also has LP kits with a mahogany body and set neck!
Well TS when you did your list of what you want in your explorer then the GFS really isn't an option anyways. As for quality comparison its not much of a choice. The entire kit from GFS is less than just a neck from warmoth. Thats not to say just because something expensive is always better. But you do get what you pay for.

People selling these guitar kits really should think about ditching the garbage hardware and pickups. And put the cash wasted on hardware into the body and neck. 159$ for a decent made neck and body or 50$ worth of hardware you chuck in the trash and a meh made body and neck.

As for who ever said well you can have 3 GFS or 1 warmoth. So 3 crappy guitars or one good one. Hmmm
Quote by Tackleberry
As for who ever said well you can have 3 GFS or 1 warmoth. So 3 crappy guitars or one good one. Hmmm

I said upgrade everything on the GFS!!
Basically, i said to upgrade everything on the GFS so its as good as if not better quality than the pricey one, so the only difference is basically wood. IMO better wood is not worth that much of a difference, as its not the only thing that contributes to the tone. If you consider pickups, amp, effects etc the wood is only a small part of the tone, which is why i said what i did.
I'm definately going warmoth you guys so that's not the question now I guess

but I don't think I like explorer shape enough I might change to soloist...

HELLO!

Just finished a Guitarfetish explorer kit, plays great but the bridge needs to be redrilled as its too far forward to be properly intonated -.-
I don't need a signature to tell you I don't need a signature!