This summer I'm hoping to do my first guitar building project, but I have two options to do. Either:

1. Get the Explorer kit from guitarfetish.com, go crazy. New electronics, etc.

2. Buy a Douglas Halo, sand paint off and refinish, new electronics, etc.

Basically which would be better for a building beginner? I already know how to use power tools and work with wood, as well as wiring.
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
Haa seems like everyones after an explorer (me possibly and jafar already has one) i'd definately go with number one as you don't need to send (its really annoying) and it's much less complicated, it's not hard to do a build it's tedious and a kit is set up to make it as easy as possible.

HELLO!

numero 2 isht bettar

EDIT: lol I'm in your sig ^
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Last edited by gatechballer at May 26, 2010,
Quote by JamesLPs
Haa seems like everyones after an explorer (me possibly and jafar already has one) i'd definately go with number one as you don't need to send (its really annoying) and it's much less complicated, it's not hard to do a build it's tedious and a kit is set up to make it as easy as possible.

Why wouldn't everyone be after an explorer? They're freakin awesome!

And thanks guys, I've done many other wood projects before, but none quite requiring the precision a guitar needs lol. I think the hardest thing I've done was my Metallica clock...
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
I wish I would've taken woodwork or something in school but I only got into guitar making in year 10

And luls I don't see you around much I just remember that one thread you were in gatechballer

HELLO!

Quote by JamesLPs
I wish I would've taken woodwork or something in school but I only got into guitar making in year 10

And luls I don't see you around much I just remember that one thread you were in gatechballer

haha I'm usually part of controversial pit topics, helping people in music theory question, or asking for gear recommendations. But I still do remember that thread
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Ive heard that some kits are awful to put together - holes dont line up, poor quality etc.
And what do you get? An unassembled, unfinished guitar. If you buy the Halo, and then sand it - you get an unassembled, unfinished guitar, but you can play it before hand and find out what is good, what needs replacing etc.

So i'd say number two, unless there is a big price difference.