So, today at school I got really ill. I couldn't see anymore and had a massive headache. While I was recovering, everyone tried to help me. It made me think. Is it in our nature to help out others when they are in need, or are people uncaring for others they don't or know or just know a little bit?
Oh, you wouldn't want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise, they wouldn't wanna watch
Well, I've always thought people were relatively uncaring. Unless someone is seriously ill/hurt no-one really cares.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I'm actually very altruistic, so yeah
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
I always feel the need to help people out when they have problems, so I guess that's my nature. However whenever I seem to be in a pickle I feel like noones there to help. When I do receive help however it does make me feel somewhat 'special' that someone went out of their way to help me.

I guess it just depends on peoples morality and personal feelings
It's in our human nature now, with the worlds culture moulded to this 'be nice to others' mentality. You also learn this type of stuff from your parents and religion "love thy neighbour".
Not sayin its bad or anythin btw or I wudnt help you with this question
What is this so called..... Signature?
No, some people are just nicer than others. The world is full of assholes and people who don't care about others.
Quote by xaviergray
Asking the Pit to play this is kinda like asking the guy who makes suggestive gay jokes if he wants to have sex with a man.
Only when we have a vested interest in said person. Such as family, friends etc.

I reckon this was survival instinct.
Family and Friends would have been the groups we lived in, so keeping them healthy was in our best interest for defence, hunting, reproduction etc.
That sucks.........I'm on summer break.

Anyways, it depends on the type of injury/problem. I fit's something they have experienced, then it doesn't need to be as serious for them to help. Or if it's common, like headaches, no one really gives a ****.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
It's in our nature to try and help those who appear to be in need who we are familiar with (aka not strangers) Most of the time though, we are selfish pieces of garbage. How often do you see a homeless man on the street and persons and persons just pass them by, barely looking up from their newspaper or whatever.

Good question though, very good question.
Of course it's in our nature. Any small bit of help can make a difference. It keeps the world going round.
I believe that it is in our nature to help others, but I'm not sure of the motives. Maybe I'm just cynical, but I've always been a bit skeptical of true altruism.

I love helping people. So really, if you enjoy helping others, is it really a selfless act? If people got absolutely no enjoyment, fulfillment, anything, when helping others, nobody would do it. Then there are the people who actually have agendas behind helping others, (ie. helping their boss fix their car in hopes they'll give you a raise). The idea of pure altruism just seems unlikely to me.

That doesn't mean that we are all totally selfish, and only help if we have to, as I do believe that people help each other out of kindness, but kindness isn't the only factor. A lot of it is self-interest in some form or another.
Last edited by GRiMM94 at May 26, 2010,
Quote by ctb
Of course it's in our nature. Any small bit of help can make a difference. It keeps the world going round.

To quote General Melchett from Blackadder IV: "If all else fails, a defiant ignorance to look facts in the face will see us through"
it is human nature to help those we believe will help us back if we are in need. it's a survival thing
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Yes it's in our nature to help others. But only those we know. Keeps the group together. Makes sure that you yourself gets help if you'll ever need.

Goes back to primitive times when people lived in small close-knit communities and depended on each other for survival, I guess.
It's in our nature to help the people closest to us, but not people we don't know. Studies have shown that the human brain only counts the closest 140 or so people as "real people". Outside of that number the brain thinks of them more as characters or objects that do things. You technically can't care about those people (although it is possible to care about principles which may apply to them). This is because the brains of most mammals are set to work in "pack" / "herd" etc... forms. Every type of animal has an optimal group size which works best because the members of the group care about each other. Humans are the only species of mammals that intentionally live in groups larger than their optimal size. The notion that we should care about these other people is part of a social construct, not a natural imperative, to try to make societies larger than they should biologically be, still function.

tldr - It's in our nature to help the people closest to us, but not people we don't know.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by jfreyvogel
Studies have shown that the human brain only counts the closest 140 or so people as "real people". Outside of that number the brain thinks of them more as characters or objects that do things

That is fascinating but I can't believe that completely. Those people who are not within our line of sight at the time and those who we may treasure more than anything (friends, family etc) are still people, it's just we can't see them, so they are of no importance. This is kind of why I find the first person perspective to be so interesting.
Quote by Echohead
That is fascinating but I can't believe that completely. Those people who are not within our line of sight at the time and those who we may treasure more than anything (friends, family etc) are still people, it's just we can't see them, so they are of no importance. This is kind of why I find the first person perspective to be so interesting.

By closest I meant like people in your life (friends, family, etc...), not like distance or line of sight.
So basically most of you people are telling me that all those people like me or need me?
Some of them, yes, but others I didn't even recognize.
Oh, you wouldn't want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise, they wouldn't wanna watch
Quote by jfreyvogel
By closest I meant like people in your life (friends, family, etc...), not like distance or line of sight.

Well a number so specific lead me to believe otherwise. I doubt that many people actually know more than 140 people and would choose them out of choice over say, another 140 people that they just happen to be close friends / relatives with.

What an obscure study

Still, thanks for the information.
Quote by The_Casinator
So basically most of you people are telling me that all those people like me or need me?
Some of them, yes, but others I didn't even recognize.

Maybe it's just there personality to be caring for others

Quote by Echohead
Well a number so specific lead me to believe otherwise. I doubt that many people actually know more than 140 people and would choose them out of choice over say, another 140 people that they just happen to be close friends / relatives with.

Wat
Last edited by darkcheef at May 26, 2010,
I think it's nurture over nature in this instance. I believe how one would respond to your situation would be based on upbringing and conditioning.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by Echohead

Now, perhaps. Because of our huge communities it is difficult to know that many people very well (Not entirely uncommon though, my family alone is about that size). You're forgetting though that the vast majority of our development as a species was in groups approximating that size. So that number of people was everyone there was to know.
Quote by darkcheef
Wat

The point was how can you internally (indeed almost instantaneously) categorize and instinctively opt for a large group of people over another.

Of course people may know more than 140 people. You didn't finish the rest of the post.
If someone is genuinely sick/injured/feeling down and I actually know the person then yes I will help them. But if someone's just being a lazy **** I get pissed off really easily when people keep on asking me to do things for them.
Yeah, those Humans who stuck together and helped each other out where all collectively more likely to pass on their genes, while those who didn't were more likely to die, leading to altruism being passed on. You can see it in many group animals, such as certain monkeys, etc.

EDIT: ^ that's one of the best articles I've ever seen on Cracked btw.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Last edited by Mechanixx at May 26, 2010,