I have made a thread similar to the likes of this before-- but it died and this is a bit different in terms of specifications; so please bear with me.

Hey UG-- I'm on the search for a versatile shredding guitar that will last me decades and be the guitar that will stand by me and be used the most. I currently have a Stratocaster and a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR. Both are great but I have high doubts either one will be "that" guitar that I will be using and cherising for the rest of my life because I am going to need to use my Hellraiser for drop tuning and my Stratocaster isn't of the best quality-- at all. I play music highly influnced by Paul Gilbert, Michael Romeo and Chris impellitteri. All shredders and have a very strong classical, symphonic feel to them. What I'm looking for in this guitar is looks that suit me, high versitility, great tone and a neck built for shredding.

I am currently looking at:
Paul Gilbert's Signature - PGM300RE
Ibanez S Prestige - S5470F
Ibanez RG Prestige - RG3550MZ
Japan Schecter's - SD-II-24

They all have an H-S-H setup.
They all look clean to me.
However I'm not sure if I should be going with something in that list or something else that could possibly work out better. Obviously if you know those guitars, they all have an H-S-H setup; which is mainly what I'm looking for in my guitar. Second is a thin, fast neck such as the three Ibanez I named above, and finally good looks to my eyes.

So the point of this thread being: if you have any recommendations as to which guitar to pick or if you have any other guitar in mind that could be great for me I'd appreciate some help on that matter. Thank you very much.

Please keep in mind I have short fingers. I can reach from the top of the first fret to halfway into the 5th if I stretch them at full length frop the tip of my middle finger to the bottom of my palm. Yes, genetically very short-- but I can still shred without problem. The thin neck would make it tons easier-- however.

TL;DR Specification-"wants"
-H-S-H Setup
-Thin, Fast neck
-Clean looks (No Flying V Body)
-$1250+ Quality work guitar
-New-- No used
Last edited by pdxhwa at May 26, 2010,

Take it and never think about another guitar. End of
What is this so called..... Signature?
Quote by DeadSoloist

Take it and never think about another guitar. End of

Are they that good? I've toyed with an SV Prestige once for about 3 minutes and they seemed great, but I'd like some more insight as to why you seem to favor it so much.
If you want a fast thin neck, go ahead and forget about Schecter...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
A Jackson Soloist could be just the thing you need. Wait.... It's H-S-S though. Or H-H.
Yeah
Alrite I'll go over everything

Body - Mahogany body with flame top - great sustain, flame top creates the smoothness you get when u play an LP (try the neck pup)
Neck - Mother****wizz***fazz**ribbity***dibb**** 5 piece titanium reinforced neck which is faster than a green potato chip
Knobs - Collet knobs no slipping
Pup Selector - 5 way with this plastic cover thing for support
Hot grinder pups - It is hot, the bridge has a bar magnet nuff said. I said the necks like like an LP and the middle is awesome for the twangy sound you hear in the beginning of smells like teen spirit
Frets - 24 jumbo
Paint - Nice an shiny
Tuners - Great (who cares)
Bridge - ZP3 with zero point, drop tuning is easy as.... umm... cookies?
Nuts(LOL) - Locking nut so you dont get outta tune

OK I am tired typing
I'd also suggest a Jackson Soloist as a possiblity. Other than that, I'd have to also suggest the Ibanez S5470F as it's a great guitar that will adapt to a number of genres quite easily. The neck is thin and fast, it's very well built, it's not too heavy and the trem is fantastic. You can't go wrong really.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
s5470..fantastic guitar..fantastic quality,thinnest neck of all,thinnest body of all and a very good trem..one of the most comfortable guitars that I've ever come across..and looks great too..mahogany feel without the mahogany wieght..And because the trem has ball bearings instead of knife edges,doesn wear out easily(or even never)
Last edited by archenemyfan at May 26, 2010,
Thanks for the input everyone, I'm all open for more input and recommendations-- but it looks like I'll most likely go for the S Prestige.
but the collet knobs,ZPS3 system and titanium reinforcements are marketing tricks though...Ibanez is very cunning..

but No denying that it is the best guitar of the bunch..
Last edited by archenemyfan at May 26, 2010,
yea lol personally I'd go for a lesser known brand, you get more for less...
But if he likes popular brands he can go for it
the S5470, I got one and I'm never looking back :p
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
There are two different version of the Ibanez S5470F.
The "most versatile" as far as pickups goes is the SV5470F. It allows you to split the neck and bridge, and combine them. See the Ibanez site for more on this.

They cost the same at most stores, typically in the $1400 - $1600 class in the USA.

I played both, and bought the SV5470F. It is killer on shredding, but very, very good on straight, clean blues. The best part, for me, is I give up nothing for clean stuff, classic rock, whatever. Now if my tired old eyes and fingers can just learn to play like Randy or Joe....
Quote by dkcol
There are two different version of the Ibanez S5470F.
The "most versatile" as far as pickups goes is the SV5470F. It allows you to split the neck and bridge, and combine them. See the Ibanez site for more on this.

all H-S-H ibanez prestiges have this feature....
Quote by DeadSoloist
yea lol personally I'd go for a lesser known brand, you get more for less...
But if he likes popular brands he can go for it

What would you reccommend?
Quote by pdxhwa
What would you reccommend?

I know you didnt ask this question from me,but I recommend carvin...Your own custom made USA guitar for 1000$..can you believe it?great quality guitars....
Quote by archenemyfan
I know you didnt ask this question from me,but I recommend carvin...Your own custom made USA guitar for 1000$..can you believe it?great quality guitars....

I didn't ****ing ask you.

Haha, just kidding-- thanks for the input; I'm browsing their site as we speak. They seem like a great brand. How long have they been around and how experienced are they at making customs?
Quote by pdxhwa
I didn't ****ing ask you.

Haha, just kidding-- thanks for the input; I'm browsing their site as we speak. They seem like a great brand. How long have they been around and how experienced are they at making customs?

well TBH I've never owned a carvin,but have played some and they were great quality guitars,I really liked them and for that price they are unbeatable......but About the history and everything You should ask a carvin expert..

heres a little factory tour and review for you..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN-0Zq42tpU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA6IukKYymE
Quote by archenemyfan
well TBH I've never owned a carvin,but have played some and they were great quality guitars,I really liked them and for that price they are unbeatable......but About the history and everything You should ask a carvin expert..

heres a little factory tour and review for you..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN-0Zq42tpU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA6IukKYymE

I'm leeching off my school's wireless right now so I cannot take a look at them at the moment. Do you think they'll be able to make something more of a neoclassical shredding type of guitar? It seems that they are very proud of their acoustics and classical rock n' roll (assuming of course) from their website and I'm guessing that's because they're proficient in that area. Just curious as to whether you might or might not know if they are just the same with neoclassical/shred guitars, not that I have anything against older rock-- but yeah; I'll be home in an hour or two so I will check it out when I get back. Thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate it.

Any other recommendations? I'm actually considering doing a good bit of research on some custom guitars before I take that S Prestige at the moment.
Quote by Vlasco
Most neoclassical shredders I know use old school guitars.

That's true-- but I dislike older guitars from pure biased taste aside from the Stratocaster and Les Paul. Plus my favorite guitarist uses Ibanez often so I was influenced by that; though I do realize playing the guitar of a good guitarist doesn't make me better.
Last edited by pdxhwa at May 26, 2010,
I edited the post with videos and examples of players that use Carvin for you to look into at home.
Even though you are in USA, it might be worth emailing Tim at tcellisguitars.com as I think his Mantis 2 model would suit with a bit of custom finishing. They start at £750 but you may want a Floyd Rose on it and certainly your choice of pickups. Tim will do that for you, no problem. You'd be looking over £1000 and the carriage would be covered by not paying VAT (17.5%) so it might be just right for you. I can vouch for the quality of his stuff, too.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Vlasco
I edited the post with videos and examples of players that use Carvin for you to look into at home.

Thanks a lot. If I knew you in real life I'd buy you lunch.
A question just popped into my head that made me super-curious. What makes the S Prestige better of a choice than the PGM Signature series? Of course, talking aside from price.
it isnt..I would take a PGM over a S prestige in a heartbeat...(or a Jem)
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 12, 2010,
Quote by pdxhwa
A question just popped into my head that made me super-curious. What makes the S Prestige better of a choice than the PGM Signature series? Of course, talking aside from price.

Nothing and in that respect there is nothing that makes the PGM a better guitar then the S. Of course if you wanted a ZR bridge then go for the S, if you wanted a RG style guitar then get a PGM etc. Horses for courses, different strokes for different folks you get the idea.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Nothing and in that respect there is nothing that makes the PGM a better guitar then the S. Of course if you wanted a ZR bridge then go for the S, if you wanted a RG style guitar then get a PGM etc. Horses for courses, different strokes for different folks you get the idea.

actually there are some things that makes the PGM a little bit better tone wise and from some other aspects too..
Quote by Arterial
Ibanez J Custom

why?and how?
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 12, 2010,
Quote by archenemyfan
actually there are some things that makes the PGM a little bit better tone wise and from some other aspects too..

K go? Honestly it's just preferences once you get to the prestige series you're not comparing a Squier and a Suhr. But please do go ahead.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
K go? Honestly it's just preferences once you get to the prestige series you're not comparing a Squier and a Suhr. But please do go ahead.

alright.

thicker neck joints.they really make a difference to the tone and sustain of the guitar.paul himself explains why he chose thicker neck joints in this video..@1:30

the bridge(or the tremolo)PGM's have the original edge or the Lopro edge which have stood the test of time and still is the favorite of many major ibanez endorsees..I am not telling it is better than the ZR but,many people would agree that it is also a solid trem and one of my favorites

the PUps..the Hot grinder pups in the S5470 are no match for teh stock dimarzios in the PGM

the S5470 *repotedly has a sustain issue because of its middle pup(stronger magnet) and some other aspects

http://forum.ibanez.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=79897
Quote by archenemyfan
alright.

thicker neck joints.they really make a difference to the tone and sustain of the guitar.paul himself explains why he chose thicker neck joints in this video..@1:30

the bridge(or the tremolo)PGM's have the original edge or the Lopro edge which have stood the test of time and still is the favorite of many major ibanez endorsees..I am not telling it is better than the ZR but,many people would agree that it is also a solid trem and one of my favorites

the PUps..the Hot grinder pups in the S5470 are no match for teh stock dimarzios in the PGM

the S5470 *repotedly has a sustain issue because of its middle pup(stronger magnet) and some other aspects

http://forum.ibanez.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=79897

Neck joint that's a fair point however I'm a bit on the fence with that. Sort of like racing drivers and the filter that is installed between their brain and their mouth and what they say to their engineers may not always be what they mean. So who knows could be a placebo then again it could be just black magic.

Bridge well that's just personal preferences

Pickups they're interchangeable so that's a null point

Sustain issues well yeah that could be an issue but like anything on the internet I've read the complete opposite so I guess that's bit of an odd one.

Overall though nothing really to say that the PGM is in anyway a better guitar just a completely different beast.
Just to keep things straight, the S5470F and SV5470F DO NOT have the same flexibility in pickup switching.
archenemyfan, the S5470F does NOT have push/pull pot on its volume control and has quite different sounding pups. As I said, SEE THE IBANEZ SITE for particulars.
I don't know about the newer S's, but my old S-540 Ltd is by far the most comfortable guitar I've ever played & the neck is greased lightning! I'd get a higher end S over anything out there at any price..it's the perfect shred machine

I recently bought a Cort X-6 SA (H-S-H) for under $400 & surprised myself. It's a great guitar with excellent build quality/neck, good hardware (not quite on par with the Japanese Ibanez's, but nearly there) & finish you won't find on any other guitar that costs less than $1500 or so. Plus, at that price you can afford to upgrade it with pups of your choice (which I did...though the stock pups were'nt bad at all tbh...)

I liked it so much that I just ordered one of these as well..should be here in a day or two...it's going to have blackouts....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXEiPA49Wl8

..can't wait!
Last edited by GodOfEmptyness at Jul 29, 2010,