I've decided Im going to go all out and get an high-end guitar. Im stuck between the ESP FT and the Gibson LP Custom. The ESP would be around $1000 cheaper brand new as opposed to a used LP Custom from what i could gather. Also, i was curious if anyone knew how the 2 necks compare? I dont have the biggest hands (medium) and im worried that the LP neck will be too big and i have no clue as to how the ESP neck feels since they dont sell them around here, or anywhere close... I play metal, rock, and a little bit of the blues. I love the way they both look but have no clue as to which one plays better
are you talking about the eclipse CTM ft?

If you ask me,gibsons are overpriced and overated...I'd go with the ESP considering its 1000$ cheaper....And also you plaed the ESP and liked it too huh?so I'd say the ESP is your best choice..

only LP's?
they play pretty differently. the esp in my opinion plays easier, and has larger frets. the neck is perfect in my opinion. i adore gibson necks, especially the thicker ones because my hands are HUGE, but prefer the slightly smaller esp neck. not sure why, but i love it.
Yeah i love the LP single-cut body shape and i was leaning towards the ESP anyways. I could order an ESP FT (yes the CTM) off eBay and still save money even after its imported if i cant find one state side. Anyways thanks for advice guys
Coming from a Les Paul Owner, I go for the LPC. Overall, it feels bigger. Thats one thing i notice now. Les Pauls are big, fat sounding guitars. They make little japanese made countoured 7 pound les paul copys with paper thin necks feel like a toy. THe neck is fat, but belive me, it will grow on you, and you can NOT feel any fret ends, thanks to the binding over the frets. Personally, the higher up you go on a Les Paul, the tricker it is to play ( even though its still easy to play, just not like an ibanez)
Because the way the necks are angled and the bridges are, this guitar isnt designed with shred in mind.
Also, once you get used to the controls youll notice how versitile the LP countrols are, and with tubes, you can roll off enough tone to go from cleans to distortion with the switch. ( Although i use a Satchurator pedal, which is very sensitive to volume pots)
Bottom line, get both. or the Les Paul Custom
Look at the Les Paul Standard as well, tbh I like the feel of the standard better than the custom, and it will be a bit cheaper. Preferably the Standard Traditional Pro or Plus
Id much rather have the LPC over the ESP, its just the thick neck worries me since i have smaller hands. I could still play it just fine but i think ESP neck would be better for me. The Les Paul Standard is great guitar but something about it seems bland to me when comparing it to the ESP or LPC. Ill look into it more and maybe it'll win me over
I like Les Pauld way more than all esp guitars i like the type of quality made in usa the best neck in the world and it has a pretty high re sale value years down the world.
Donnell McKnignt
Quote by lespaulisgod
Id much rather have the LPC over the ESP, its just the thick neck worries me since i have smaller hands. I could still play it just fine but i think ESP neck would be better for me. The Les Paul Standard is great guitar but something about it seems bland to me when comparing it to the ESP or LPC. Ill look into it more and maybe it'll win me over

If the neck worries you, don't let it. I have pretty small hands, and I play a Firebird, which is probably more awkward than the Les Paul lol. On top of that, I ordered a 7, which is extended scale, making it even harder, but still find it quite comfortable. The angle your hand will be at will be a little different than on a thinner neck because your thumb won't reach as far back on the neck, but that's about it (if you're like me at least). The Custom is a really nice guitar, and I have no experience with that ESP, so I have no opinion on it (other than it's ESP, so it's probably good). Shame you can't try the ESP out before hand. If I had to choose, it'd be the Les Paul, simply because you can play and find the perfect one beforehand.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by DonnellMcKnight
I like Les Pauld way more than all esp guitars i like the type of quality made in usa the best neck in the world and it has a pretty high re sale value years down the world.

this is why gibsons are overrated...Made in USA,best quality,best neck in the world...there is no such thing as a best neck in the world or best wood...its all down to preference,and to me gibson necks are the worst because they too thick for my preference..and the esp standards,prestiges and j customs have equal or sometimes even better Quality than gibsons..dont just judge them because they made in japan..
^ VERY true, Don't judge right away because of where it's made. Japanese stuff is better than North American stuff usually, because Japan rules (and I will end this statement now before the otaku in me comes out lol). Where it's made really has no bearing on the quality, it's how it's made. End Rant. As for the comment of Gibson being over-rated, I would only disagree on the basis that they earned their reputation through years of innovation and quality, so they deserve the praise they get. Now some of the newer models don't live up to it, I agree with that, but the brand as a whole is not over-rated, only specific models are, and to the exent it exists in this thread, the Les Paul Custom is not one of them IMO. End Rant 2.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by onemanarmy9
As for the comment of Gibson being over-rated, I would only disagree on the basis that they earned their reputation through years of innovation and quality, so they deserve the praise they get. Now some of the newer models don't live up to it, I agree with that, but the brand as a whole is not over-rated, only specific models are, and to the exent it exists in this thread, the Les Paul Custom is not one of them IMO. End Rant 2.

sorry overrated is the wrong word... at least in this case it is...but there are sometimes when people overly praise them and talk like they are the best guitars in the whole world..dont get me wrong,Gibson makes great guitars and they have been consistent in their QC,but there are sometimes when people consider the gibson a better guitar,because it is gibson....for example when you compare and ibanez prestige to a LP studio or something,there will be many votes for the LP,even though it is a lesser guitar than it's competition...I just dont know to put that in one word... over hyped?
Quote by onemanarmy9
^ VERY true, Don't judge right away because of where it's made. Japanese stuff is better than North American stuff usually, because Japan rules (and I will end this statement now before the otaku in me comes out lol). Where it's made really has no bearing on the quality, it's how it's made. End Rant. As for the comment of Gibson being over-rated, I would only disagree on the basis that they earned their reputation through years of innovation and quality, so they deserve the praise they get. Now some of the newer models don't live up to it, I agree with that, but the brand as a whole is not over-rated, only specific models are, and to the exent it exists in this thread, the Les Paul Custom is not one of them IMO. End Rant 2.

Don't worry I agree with you

For the price of an LPC you can look into the ESP Original series OR ESP Navigator. Instead of the ESP Standard. The Navigator Series is like the "Gibson" of Japan in terms of how overpriced everything is lol. If you think quality is in how much you pay.

Also typically with any general ESP I personally find their Thin U necks to be incredibly nice AND they still feel like you have a neck in your hands versus,say, the Ibanez or Jackson paper thin necks.

Also I've played a Navigator Explorer, and it was really nice. The neck was more comfortable than the Gibson Explorer in my opinion, and it sounded a bit crisper than the Gibson.
If you find a Navigator LP copy there's a high chance that it'll be better than a Gibson, but at that price point it's incredibly subjective.
Ahh ok. Iv played a LPC and found it pretty nice. Ill be sure to check out the Navigator first if i can but ill probably just get the Gibson.
Quote by lespaulisgod
Ahh ok. Iv played a LPC and found it pretty nice. Ill be sure to check out the Navigator first if i can but ill probably just get the Gibson.

If you're anywhere outside of Japan and without good contacts then good luck trying out a Navigator. Unless you know what you want then it's best to play it safe and buy something you've tried out.