This is what I've got, it doesnt have a scratch on it and plays great.

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/1752831075.html

This is what he's got. I just have always wanted a LP so I figured this looked like a pretty good trade.

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/1760583455.html

So my question is what do you think about this trade? Unfair for me or for him? Or is it a fair deal?
Elitists and Hypocrites
Unfair for you, in my opinion. I much prefer Epi Arch's compared to their LP's and whilst their monetary worth may not differ much, I wouldn't go for it.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Unfair for you, in my opinion. I much prefer Epi Arch's compared to their LP's and whilst their monetary worth may not differ much, I wouldn't go for it.

Does the upgraded pickups and switch make a difference tho?
Elitists and Hypocrites
Quote by CSUTremonti777
Does the upgraded pickups and switch make a difference tho?

I dont know anything about epiphones or les pauls or even hollowbodies,but that thing is 14 years old..and from the pics looks like it has a load of scratches..If you really like it at least ask him to upload some better pics,where you can examine it

my advice : dont.
Last edited by archenemyfan at May 26, 2010,
i agree with that other fellow, but again only cause i think that any semi-hollow like that is way sexier then some generic black epi lp. but hey, if youd rather have the lp then why not go for it?
Quote by howamidriving?
i agree with that other fellow, but again only cause i think that any semi-hollow like that is way sexier then some generic black epi lp. but hey, if youd rather have the lp then why not go for it?

It has a flamed maple top...
i would ask if you can try the guitar (good opportunity to look for cracks on the neck near the nut- seems to happen somewhat frequently) so you can see if the damage really hinders the playability

that being said, if the damage doesnt bug you, i'd say go for it. the stock pickups in epiphones are lackluster at best (sorry epi lovers, they really arent that good) and the upgrade to duncans definately improves the guitar immeasurably. throw in the case, and i reckon you have a pretty fair trade on your hands

however: if the damage bugs you, impairs the playability or worries you in the sense that you feel the guitar may not be quite OK (or if it has any cracks on the neck!), pass the trade up. i suspect from the pictures that the guitar is okay (my epi has some similar dings and none have lead to any further issues other than ugliness), but if you arent getting the best vibe from it, pass on the trade
Quote by User_Name336
why the trade? what dont you like about your epi? from past experience, i've found that to be an incredible guitar, especially for the money.

Honestly I dont know. I keep trying to get rid of it and then I play it again and then I decide not to. I just always have wanted a Les Paul and this guitar is my only way of getting one right now. Maybe it would be better to just save up and get a real LP tho.
Elitists and Hypocrites
the epiphone dots certainly are not as amazing as people boast they are, i don't know much about this edition of epiphone les paul, but it has seymour duncans in it, i'd say you really don't have much to lose in this trade. not as bad as these guys are making it seem. just play it first before you buy it.
For some of you here it'll be heresy, but here it is: your guitar is basically what a Les Paul is, only with a slightly bigger body and two f-holes. lol I know I over-simplified it a bit, but that's how things are. Your guitar is in a much better condition to boot. Kind of a no brainer to me... but yeah, the neighbor's grass is always greener.

But if you really want an LP, I suggest you to try and find one in better shape.
I would keep the Dot. Without a doubt.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
in my honest opinion, i would probably just keep the Dot until you can get something higher end. maybe not necessarily a "real" les paul as you put it, but not a mid 90s epiphone. assuming your amp is the one in your sig, you wont hear THAT MUCH of a difference between switching from the dot to the les paul, and if you like the feel and sound of your guitar, as well as every time you tried in the past to get rid of it you couldn't... just seems like you like the guitar more than you're willing to admit.

i'm rambling again, so i'll stop talking.
look for a newer(like 05 or later) epiphone les paul standard, really not bad guitars at all
Last edited by handbanana at May 26, 2010,
Keep your dot,

that LP looks rather battered and iirc the top is going to be a veneer anyway.

your dot is the nicer guitar of these too IMO

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb