Personally, I've grown to hate the bassy sound that my Epiphone Les Paul 100 puts out. I want to try for a cleaner, less crowded tone, without so much bass, still some would be nice though. It came with stock pickups, I am not sure what kind they are, but I think I am going to replace them. But I am not sure if a pickup replacement get rid of the bassy sound? or is it the guitar in general that has so much bass to it?

Thanks
The LP-100 is usually a tad brighter than most Les Pauls because of its bolt-on neck. If you're finding you have more bass than you'd like, I would suggest you look at your amp first. That is where your bass is really defined; pickups interact with treble frequencies more than bass. A pickup change could get you more treble response or more middle and treble response to even out the bass, but the bass would still be loud. If you want less bass, turning down the bass control on your amp is what you need to do.

As far as pickups go, the only way a pickup is really going to effect how strong your bass frequencies come through is if you change to a pickup that is constructed differently from a humbucker, i.e. getting a single coil pickup, most likely a P-90. Changing from one humbucker to another isn't going to effect bass much, if at all; in fact if anything, it will only increase bass response since the stock Epiphone pickups are under-wound Alnico V pickups which are naturally quite bright.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The LP-100 is usually a tad brighter than most Les Pauls because of its bolt-on neck. If you're finding you have more bass than you'd like, I would suggest you look at your amp first. That is where your bass is really defined; pickups interact with treble frequencies more than bass. A pickup change could get you more treble response or more middle and treble response to even out the bass, but the bass would still be loud. If you want less bass, turning down the bass control on your amp is what you need to do.

As far as pickups go, the only way a pickup is really going to effect how strong your bass frequencies come through is if you change to a pickup that is constructed differently from a humbucker, i.e. getting a single coil pickup, most likely a P-90. Changing from one humbucker to another isn't going to effect bass much, if at all; in fact if anything, it will only increase bass response since the stock Epiphone pickups are under-wound Alnico V pickups which are naturally quite bright.

Thank you, I actually did notice a big change from switching amps. A jcm 900 head sounds incredibly better than my mg100 head, which has a bassy sound to it all together, maybe its just the settings, but the mg sounds kind of bassy no matter what.