is there any trick to quickly knowing the chords in a key? i can sort of quickly know the notes in a key, but last night i was practicing and realized that i didnt know what chords were in e minor !! so then i just looked up on the internet what chords were in g major. this frustrated me because i am assuming its pretty dire to know the chords in any key right off the top of your head.

and then is there any way to quickly know the notes in those chords?? i realize that there are patterns in music theory and this is how i remember the notes in a key( the whole BEADGCF deal), is there a way to do it for the notes in a chord, and chords in a key?
for a major scale, the order goes:

maj-m-m-maj-7-m-m7b5.

for minors, start on the 6th degree of that. So if you know the notes you just link them with this
Major keys (harmonizing the major scale) - I ii iii IV V vi viio

Minor (harmonic minor) - i iio III+ iv V VI viio
( melodic minor ) - i ii III+ IV V #vio viio
(melodic descending) i iio III iv v VI bVII
Yeah, as these guys have shown, the only real trick is simply knowing the scale tones.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by griffRG7321
Major keys (harmonizing the major scale) - I ii iii IV V vi viio

Minor (harmonic minor) - i iio III+ iv V VI viio
( melodic minor ) - i ii III+ IV V #vio viio
(melodic descending) i iio III iv v VI bVII

well i probably should have known this stuff, but this clears it up good. i am going to try to just memorize the major tones and relate it to the natural minor scales and work them out that way. i dont know anything about the harmonic, melodic, or melodic descending minor scales though. any tips for those?? i have never dealt with them at all
Quote by fupashredder
well i probably should have known this stuff, but this clears it up good. i am going to try to just memorize the major tones and relate it to the natural minor scales and work them out that way. i dont know anything about the harmonic, melodic, or melodic descending minor scales though. any tips for those?? i have never dealt with them at all

Well harmonic minor is the standard minor scale. the natural minor scale is just the descending melodic minor.

In relation to the major scale:

harmonic minor - 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7
melodic minor(ascending) - 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7
melodic minor (descending) 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Quote by griffRG7321
Well harmonic minor is the standard minor scale. the natural minor scale is just the descending melodic minor.

In relation to the major scale:

harmonic minor - 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7
melodic minor(ascending) - 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7
melodic minor (descending) 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7

that kinda confuses me. i thought that the 'standard' minor scale was referred to as the 'natural' minor scale and was the exact same thing as the aeolian mode

like this: 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7 as you described the 'harmonic' minor scale
Quote by fupashredder
that kinda confuses me. i thought that the 'standard' minor scale was referred to as the 'natural' minor scale and was the exact same thing as the aeolian mode

like this: 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7 as you described the 'harmonic' minor scale

As I understand it, it's called the natural minor because it uses the same notes as the relative major scale. A minor has the same notes as C major. From A if we lower the 3rd, 6th, and 7th degrees we get the same notes as in C major.
But if we only lower the 3rd and 6th it won't match up to any major key signature.
The harmonic minor has a raised seventh degree from the natural minor which adds a much more effective leading tone.

(and the Aeolian mode does indeed use the same notes as the natural minor scale)

Edit: But be sure to realize that modes and scales are very different things. Forgot to put that in the post.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Last edited by FacetOfChaos at May 26, 2010,
Quote by FacetOfChaos
(and the Aeolian mode does indeed use the same notes as the natural minor scale)

yes, but completely different context. for the sake of everyone reading this thread, i'm not going to get into it.

personally, i think it's ridiculous to consider one as the "standard" minor scale. there are only natural, melodic, and harmonic -- there is no "standard minor". but people will still argue that harmonic is the standard, and people will still argue that natural is the standard.

to think of either as the "standard" is limiting.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
yes, but completely different context. for the sake of everyone reading this thread, i'm not going to get into it.

personally, i think it's ridiculous to consider one as the "standard" minor scale. there are only natural, melodic, and harmonic -- there is no "standard minor". but people will still argue that harmonic is the standard, and people will still argue that natural is the standard.

to think of either as the "standard" is limiting.
The way I see it, the natural minor is "natural" because it derives directly from the concept (concept, mind you) of the aeolian mode (the sixth mode of the major scale), and the other two as altered, because they raise the subtonic to a leading tone, strengthening dominant/leading tone resolutions.

I don't really see any as "standard" but I always think of the harmonic and melodic as derivatives of the natural, because of this.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at May 26, 2010,
Quote by food1010
The way I see it, the natural minor is "natural" because it derives directly from the concept (concept, mind you) of the aeolian mode (the sixth mode of the major scale), and the other two as altered, because they raise the subtonic to a leading tone, strengthening dominant/leading tone resolutions.

I don't really see any as "standard" but I always think of the harmonic and melodic as derivatives of the natural, because of this.

that's precisely what i thought, but that debate with griff a few days ago really got me thinking that it's ridiculous to brand any of them as standard.

i support the argument that the harmonic and melodic minor scales were derived from the natural minor, but i see no reason that any of them should be standard.

...i basically agreed with everything you just said, didn't i?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.