http://www.guitarcenter.com/ART-MXL-MXL-V63M-ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Package-581915-i1445166.gc

Im going to be recording vocals, guitar and possibly other types of instruments.

I was thinking of getting a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter and plugging it in to my laptops mic input.

would this be all i need? and would the quality be better than a cheap usb mic?

all input is GREATLY appreciated.

EDIT: new budget 300$
can you guys recommend packages or items?
Last edited by scaronyourface at May 27, 2010,
sure thats all you need, but itll sound like ass.

i dont see the point of getting something like a tube preamp, and then plugging into your laptop's line input. mic input would be even worse since the preamp should be putting out a line level signal.

get a USB or firewire interface. get one with decent preamps, and you wont need to worry about anything like that art pre. if your budget is strictly $100, then maybe you cant really do any better. bump that up to $150 or (hopefully) $200 and you can get yourself something pretty good.
I own one of the Art Tube Preamps - they sold for $30 on sale awhile back - it adds a little to my chain but IT'S NOT A DEDICATED INTERFACE - I add it to my Interface - the package by M-Audio includes a real Interface and you'll tell a big difference in sound - it actually becomes your external Sound Card. I use a laptop too and believe me YOU NEED AN INTERFACE - the soundchip in laptops are not made for plugging instruments or real Mics into them.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at May 26, 2010,
Okay so i just raised my budget to 300 what can i get?
i need the best possible quality i can get but i need to keep it under 300.

EDIT:
how about one of these?
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-US144-Interface-and-MXL-990991-Microphone-Bundle?sku=241724

or?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/M-Audio-Fast-Track-MKII-Studio-Package?sku=485736
Last edited by scaronyourface at May 27, 2010,
I say the one Lockwolf suggested.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
I say the one Lockwolf suggested.

okay i'll take yours,lockwolf and moody's word for it.
is there anything else that i will need or am i pretty much set to start recording?
With the bundle I suggested, nope. It comes with everything (Mics, Stands, Monitors, Interface, Software).
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
if you are doing vocals, maybe a pop filter. that bundle has all the major stuff to get you started, now its just down to the little add-ons.
Quote by lockwolf
With the bundle I suggested, nope. It comes with everything (Mics, Stands, Monitors, Interface, Software).

Wait this doesn't make sense?
so if i buy the package you recommended.
(the one with the mk audio interface)
im set to start recording?
oh yeah and i have fl studio so im set on that too.

and im also buying a pop filter.
^ yep you're on track...with he Fast Track MKII you have everything you'll need to get started.

he said "nope" to answer your question "is there anything else that i will need or am i pretty much set to start recording?"
Quote by moody07747
^ yep you're on track...with he Fast Track MKII you have everything you'll need to get started.

he said "nope" to answer your question "is there anything else that i will need or am i pretty much set to start recording?"

Thanks a lot moody for clarifying lockwolfs great suggestion.
alright guys i think i know which package i'll be buying
hopefully the quality is better than the god damn rockband mic i've been using for right now.lol
since i'll be screaming in to this thing im pretty sure i should be about a foot or two away right? and add like a high pass filter and some compression?
and how would one go for micing a combo/cab?
Use the MXL V63M a few feet away for screaming so you don't distort at the microphone. Since condenser mics are naturally a little brighter than dynamics, you may want to lower the high end down a little with the EQ adjustments on your software later after recording.

As for micing guitar cabs and such, usually a dynamic mic is used as it can handle the louder signal however if you keep your gain high and volume level lower you should be fine. If you have a tube amp and must crank the amp to get the tone, get yourself a in line pad or a dynamic mic in the future.

Quote by insatanity
Check out the M-audio fast track Pro and Cakewalk UA-4FX.

Although these are great interfaces, he would be spending $200 right from the start and not getting any cables, stands, or even a mic.......quite hard to record with an audio interface alone........
Last edited by moody07747 at May 28, 2010,