a while back, i was jammin out on my Schecter C-1 FR and i smelled what smelled like cigarette smoke and i looked down and smoke was coming from my pick-up cavities. now my bridge pick-up doesnt do anything and my neck pickup plays but is VERY distorted. i opened up the back panel and didnt see anything wrong but i have yet to check the pups. I have no idea what happened and my dumbass parents waited to long to get it fixed and the warranty is expired now and won't take it. i, however am quite handy with a soldering iron so could you tell me what happened and if its something simple that i could fix??
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
I opened this thread hoping that it
would that there would be a story full bs.
i opened it and to my disappointment its
a teenager with problems.
my advice unless you know what your doing down there.
i highly suggest taking it to a guitar tech.
bitch to your parents about how they waited too long
and now its their fault its broken.
Take it to guitar tech and have him look it over and tell you what's wrong with it. If it's something you can fix, fix it yourself. If it's not something you can fix then you're lucky that a guitar tech is standing 5 feet away from you.
where there's smoke, there's fire.

your electronics are probably fried. if you know what you're doing, take it apart, discern which parts are fried and which are not, and replace them as necessary.

oh, yeah. then put it back together.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
you were shredding to fast so your guitar caught on fire!
:P

if you know your electronics, you can check the parts and see whats wrong. if anything is visibly black/burnt/charred, you can start looking to replace those parts.

replace the pickups? that seems like a simple catch all.
Quote by scaronyourface
I opened this thread hoping that it
would that there would be a story full bs.
i opened it and to my disappointment its
a teenager with problems.
my advice unless you know what your doing down there.
i highly suggest taking it to a guitar tech.
bitch to your parents about how they waited too long
and now its their fault its broken.

...there's not a whole lot he could **** up to be honest.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
its sounds as if you fried a pick up or theres a short in the wires to the humbuckers . you should go get it checked out
I would definitely take a good look at your amp. Do not plug any guitars into it, or it is quite probable they will meet the same death.

There is NOTHING inside an electric guitar that could cause a fire, smoke or even a spark (unless you are maybe using active pickups, but I've never heard of them failing so spectacularly).

With regards to fixing your Schecter, I would look inside the electronics cavity and see if anything looks obviously fried. Test it on another amp, one that you really don't care about.

DO NOT USE YOUR VALVEKING (I assume that was the amp you were using) UNTIL HAVING IT LOOKED AT BY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THEIR STUFF!!!

MUSICIANS DIE FROM DANGEROUS GEAR!
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158
Quote by nickbob00
I would definitely take a good look at your amp. Do not plug any guitars into it, or it is quite probable they will meet the same death.

There is NOTHING inside an electric guitar that could cause a fire, smoke or even a spark (unless you are maybe using active pickups, but I've never heard of them failing so spectacularly).

With regards to fixing your Schecter, I would look inside the electronics cavity and see if anything looks obviously fried. Test it on another amp, one that you really don't care about.

DO NOT USE YOUR VALVEKING (I assume that was the amp you were using) UNTIL HAVING IT LOOKED AT BY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THEIR STUFF!!!

MUSICIANS DIE FROM DANGEROUS GEAR!

1. That's actually true, the amperage in an electric guitar is absolutely tiny.

2. DO NOT USE YOUR AMP UNTIL YOU HAVE IT LOOKED AT. THIS GUY IS COMPLETELY RIGHT.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
That guitar I'm pretty sure has actives...

Check out the pickups and battery wiring first... then the amp.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Skynyrd890
That guitar I'm pretty sure has actives...

Check out the pickups and battery wiring first... then the amp.

If it were the C-1 Hellraiser FR, your comment would be correct. However, the C-1 FR I believe has passive Duncans Designed pickups in it.

As for the problem, there are 2 things that would cause this, either REALLY shitty wiring and poor grounding causing a shortcircuit in the pickups themselves (which would require new wiring or if you're really unlucky, new pickups), or a power surge from the amp. Get both looked at to be safe.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by bobthebum16
Idk what the problem would be.......but that would be awesome during a gig!

Frehley did that already
it does have active pups. and my valveking didnt cause it. i was plugged into my shitty old crate amp. and i looked inside and nothing appeared to be fried so maybe the pickups just went to the shitter
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
I'm gonna go out on a limb when I say this...

Have you replaced the battery recently? Maybe its possible that the battery is causing a short in the wiring, which is making the wires really hot, causing the smoke.
This is not good. There is a short circuit somewhere. I suggest that you take it to a guitar tech to get repaired properly.

ron666
Quote by onemanarmy9
If it were the C-1 Hellraiser FR, your comment would be correct. However, the C-1 FR I believe has passive Duncans Designed pickups in it.

As for the problem, there are 2 things that would cause this, either REALLY shitty wiring and poor grounding causing a shortcircuit in the pickups themselves (which would require new wiring or if you're really unlucky, new pickups), or a power surge from the amp. Get both looked at to be safe.

a c-1 fr can have passive duncan designs or active duncan designs
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP