Hello All UG,

I have had a burning desire to learn guitar for probably the last 3-4 years of my life, and never really took the initiative to learn. Now that I have finished my degree and have a steady life going, I feel it's time to pick up on this thing.

My Problem? I have NO idea where to start. I have a wal-mart special 'First-Act' guitar with an amp that came with it. No pedals or anything, but I figured it's best to start out with something like this before I go dump a grand into a decent fender.

Now, I have many styles of guitar that I enjoy. Blues, Grunge (Kurt Cobain-ish), Rock, and some Metal but I am willing to start anywhere as long as it gets me on the right path to learning this art.

Does anyone know of a decent online site that does tutorials or has a series? I've seen ads but I'd hate to go with a site that is going to get me into a habit of bad techniques or something.

Thanks soo much!
When I first started playing Guitar, I took guitar lessons, which is very good.
basicly, take a lessons once a week, he'll guide you what to do, and then just practice it a lot.
but if you're not willing to take a teacher, get a vibration tuner to make sure the notes' sound is right so your musical hearing wont be all wrong, and build yourself a practice routine.
There are lots of place online that can show you how to play. Check out my blog, the link is below, and go to the guitar lessons tab. Maybe that will help you out a little bit.

Guitar is what I love to do and I want to teach as many people as I can how to play. So it's all free.

Hope that helps,
Jeff
i think if you are really serious about playing the guitar, one of the most important is to read music, because it will open you to alot of things, also i find this book really effective. its called The Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar, you can but it here on net.
Learn the notes of the open strings so you know what lessons are referring to
Learn to tune the guitar.
Start with open chords, E is as good a place to start as any. It's going to take the best part of a week to simply get the hang of fretting and playing that one chord cleanly.

Once you're getting somewhere with the E chord try A and D and again focus on nothing other than fretting and playing them cleanly.

When you've got the hang of all three chords and can play then cleanly then work on changing between them, again this is going to be tortuous for a week or two but it'll gradually get easier.

One thing that's important to understand is that things take as long as they take on the guitar, you can't rush - if you're technical skills mean you aren't ready for something then you aren't ready.
It probably takes around 6 months to become fully comfortable with the guitar in your hands, until that point it just feels like a big, stupid, awkward plank of wood in your hands. Until you get to that point just work on chords, learn some simple, chordy songs and learn new chords as and when the songs need them.

At some point you'll encounter barre chords, they can be a bit tricky to get to grips with so before jumping straight in simply practice barring all six strings with your index finger, once you've got the hang of that you can try dropping in the other fingers to form the chord shapes. Also never start with barre chords at the 1st fret, it's a lot harder to press the strings down there. When you get to then pracice around the 5th or 7th fret, it's a lot easier going.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com