Yeah, didnt really know where to post this, so ill ask here. Ive recently been playing a lot of parkway drive and august burns red songs, after playing for about 10 minutes the muscle right under my clavicle starts to hurt ( especially during breakdowns)
Im a holding the guitar wrong or something?
That's the lactic acid building up and making your wrist uncomfortable.

Push your tempos and increase your stamina.
You may have AIDS.
Saw it off, and apply herbs and leeches.
Quote by Echohead

In most people, the clavicle is a little over an arm's length from the wrist. Which is a joint, and not a muscle, and therefore not somewhere lactic acid would be generated in quantity.
Last edited by MightyAl at May 26, 2010,
Quote by Echohead

The clavicle is the collarbone
its the muscle around the tendon in the armpit that hurts
Maybe the strap is causing problems?

Lighter guitar?

Work out?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
you're probably just way too tense. loosen up.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by MightyAl
You may have AIDS.

In most people, the clavicle is a little over an arm's length from the wrist. Which is a joint, and not a muscle, and therefore not somewhere lactic acid would be generated in quantity.

The wrist plays an integrate part in playing the guitar. Seeing as the vast majority of technique indeed comes from the wrist (especially in metal music) pulling focus away from the wrist isn't going to help the guy out at all.

The point being: Whatever the problem is the more you practice and push your limits the more you'll find your muscles adjust to that particular speed or tempo.

It sounds like this comes down to poor technique, if anything.
Its just gas! Just stay hydrated and don't listen to those nimrods who said clavicle= somewhere near your wrist...anyways its just lactic acid or as I said, gas.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by AeolianWolf
you're probably just way too tense. loosen up.

That's not metal!

If it keeps happening, cut it off and cook it
Quote by BrokenDstring
Its just gas! Just stay hydrated and don't listen to those nimrods who said clavicle= somewhere near your wrist...anyways its just lactic acid or as I said, gas.

It's like when you first start playing the guitar and you find after a couple of months that you develop hardened skin on the tips of your fingers. This is exactly the same thing, except poor technique can potentially contribute to additional pain.
Quote by Echohead
The wrist plays an integrate part in playing the guitar. Seeing as the vast majority of technique indeed comes from the wrist (especially in metal music) pulling focus away from the wrist isn't going to help the guy out at all.

The point being: Whatever the problem is the more you practice and push your limits the more you'll find your muscles adjust to that particular speed or tempo.

It sounds like this comes down to poor technique, if anything.

The wrist wasn't mentioned in the OP; so why in your first post you started banging on about lactic acid in his wrist is rather confusing me. Did you even read it?
Quote by MightyAl
The wrist wasn't mentioned in the OP; so why in your first post you started banging on about lactic acid in his wrist is rather confusing me. Did you even read it?

Well yeah I just thought that I'd read the post and then give my analysis.
Quote by Echohead
Well yeah I just thought that I'd read the post and then give my analysis.

Your analysis could use moar basic physiology.
Quote by MightyAl

Alright fine, I'll get my medical dictionary!

The point is that the guy isn't obviously accustomed to playing with this sort of "intensity", if you will. Therefore, the more the does it, the more his muscles will adapt. As a guitarist I can only advise the guy to keep pushing his rhythms to the limit.

Also TS, you'll find that the more you jam along with these styles of songs they more your brain will adapt to their usage of melody and the way the implement rhythm, which I feel is what you're actually interested in.
I used to get that too, its just muscle strain like when you first started playing bar chords.
Working out also helps with that.
it depends on what the pain is like. If it feels like the muscle is 'tired' and the feeling stays for a while whenever you use the muscle, it's most likely due to Lactic acid. If it feels as if the pain is caused by the repetitive momevent you make, it's a case of RSI.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by MightyAl
You may have AIDS.

1. In most people, the clavicle is a little over an arm's length from the wrist. 2. Which is a joint, and not a muscle, and therefore not somewhere lactic acid would be generated in quantity.

1. no. it is your collarbone, it is attached to the sternum, secondly, it is less than an arms length from the wrist. it is exactly 1 hand length less than an arms length away from your wrist, since the rotator cuff of the soldier is level with the clavicle.

2. no. it is a bone, the joint connecting it to the sternum is the sternoclavicular joint. ffs people, kinesiology ftw.

EDIT: Woops, just noticed that you were talking about the wrist, not the clavicle in 2.

Quote by MightyAl

the irony.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at May 26, 2010,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
no. it is your collarbone, it is attached to the sternum, secondly, it is less than an arms length from the wrist. it is exactly 1 hand length less than an arms length away from your wrist, since the rotator cuff of the soldier is level with the clavicle.
The end of the clavicle attached to the sternum is more than an arms length from the wrist, unless you have girly shoulders. All depends where you're measuring from.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

no. it is a bone, the joint connecting it to the sternum is the sternoclavicular joint. ffs people, kinesiology ftw.
The WRIST is a joint, which is what I was referring to. You might have noticed that from the fact that I referred to the wrist at the end of the sentence.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

the irony.

Physiology =/= anatomy
I feel like such a fool. Here's me wanting to help the guy with guitar; didn't realise this was going to turn into a fucking biology class.
Quote by Echohead
I feel like such a fool. Here's me wanting to help the guy with guitar; didn't realise this was going to turn into a fucking biology class.

It's not a biology class, it's poo-flinging.
Quote by MightyAl
It's not a biology class, it's poo-flinging.

Right, you know, I agree with you, I do, but. But what help have you given exactly to our friend in need thus far? Hmm? I mean, how do we move on from here?
Quote by Echohead
Right, you know, I agree with you, I do, but. But what help have you given exactly to our friend in need thus far? Hmm? I mean, how do we move on from here?

Probably refer him to the techniques subforum or something?
Indeed. But the point is he already posted, and you shunned him.
Quote by Echohead
Indeed. But the point is he already posted, and you shunned him.

Yea, well.
That's all in the past.
Quote by Echohead

everything is biology class. everything ever.

EDIT: also TS, I think I know what you're describing. Does it feel like a dull ache just under your collarbone on the side closer to the shoulder? I get this on my right side sometimes when I run very long distances. As far as I know, it is just a mild cramp. Just loosen up a bit before playing, and it should stop it.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at May 26, 2010,