Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone!!! I'm new here and would like to talk to someone that went through the same band problems. Ok, it started when my good friend Naomi asked me to join her band. (me and Naomi had years of experience with music and instruments) naomi was band leader and first guitarist, I was second guitarist. We both found a great drummer Luke. Found a "experienced" bass player. And a "strong" singer. So me and Nao came up with a song to practice ( which to me was awesome) Everyone was practicing this song, so I thought... When Nao wanted to run through the whole song, we found out our bassist was a fake wanna be. She couldnt play one note right. And she complained about her part being boring and slow. Even though she dont know how to play a simple tab. She confessed that she dont know how to read tabs, didnt know how to tune, didnt know what a riff was. DUMB AS A ROCK!!! Me and Nao kicked her out. Then our singer droped out cuz she later admit she has no talent in singing ( always missed practice too). So then it was just me luke and Nao. Then Nao eventually gave up on her dream to have a successful band... We all parted. Is it really that hard to keep a band together??? I'd like to start one soon but I dont wanna go through that again. Any advice? Please and thank you!
When words fail, MUSIC speaks...
Just go solo, one is rarely happy with bandmates. They either like other music and you do which results in conflicts, they stink at their instruments or they simply dont care as much as you do about music or the band.
bang her
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Yes it is that hard. But if you love music and so do the other people in your band it will (probably :P ) work out
Or you can all get along really well and love the same music. Being in a band can be easy and great fun, it just depends on the people. Choose people who fit musically and personality-wise, and who are competent and dedicated enough, and it's fine. It can be hard to find people, don't give up on it because it went wrong once.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
I've found that it rarely works to have the idea of forming an entire band at once as your mindset. Try to find one musician you really want to work with and make music together, and keep an eye out for other musicians who might have potential as well, but just make music in the meantime.

My point is that many bands don't just form, they're the result of people going round in the business for a long time, meeting a lot of other people in the process. Have a bit of patience
Adj209: if I had a c**k I probably would., but I have a Vajayjay.
Matthia: you're probably right
Salgala: would an all girls band work? Rare and hard to find?
Thanks guys ^_^ great advice.
Quote by salgala2000
Nvm i like this answer better
Oh dear God lol
Quote by Ggss2020

Salgala: would an all girls band work? Rare and hard to find?

Sure, if you like being known as that band that people go to to watch girls with instruments and later fap over the mental image then sure. If you're interested in playing music then gender doesn't matter.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Well that's not a unique experience, and it could have been rectified by finding some actually good players. I have a suspicion that Naomi just recruited people she knew instead of people who could actually play.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by isabiggles
Sure, if you like being known as that band that people go to to watch girls with instruments and later fap over the mental image then sure. If you're interested in playing music then gender doesn't matter.

You mean like the Donnas who were incredibly successful? Or The Runaways? Or Girlschool, who Lemmy has called one of the best bands of all time? What about great pop bands like the Go-Go's and The Bangles? I also don't think L7 and Bikini Kill would take kindly to your saying that the only reason they succeeded was because guys wanted to jerk off to them.
Quote by koslack
You mean like the Donnas who were incredibly successful? Or The Runaways? Or Girlschool, who Lemmy has called one of the best bands of all time? What about great pop bands like the Go-Go's and The Bangles? I also don't think L7 and Bikini Kill would take kindly to your saying that the only reason they succeeded was because guys wanted to jerk off to them.

I don't think it would be worth narrowing your choice in musicians even more by only selecting females. Also at a lower level it will be a lot harder to be taken seriously.
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
Quote by Lugnaz987
I don't think it would be worth narrowing your choice in musicians even more by only selecting females. Also at a lower level it will be a lot harder to be taken seriously.

Well at least 50% of the world's population would support you. That's enough.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Finding bandmates is like finding a girlfriend/boyfriend.... only not just one, but three or four who will all like each other and want to work together. Yeah, it's not easy.

Pick people first who are competent enough to do the job. You don't necessarily need to pick the best players, but if they can't do the job you need them to do, the project is screwed from the get-go.

Next, focus on people who have similar goals and priorities as you.

Then, those who like the same kinds of music. It doesn't all have to be the same, but there needs to be enough overlap that it will be worthwhile.

Finally, go with people that you like. It is important, but you don't have to be best friends. You just need to be able to get along and have a laugh from time to time. It's a working relationship, though.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Finding bandmates is like finding a girlfriend/boyfriend.... only not just one, but three or four who will all like each other and want to work together. Yeah, it's not easy.
So it's like an orgy? I'm liking the sound of this.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Lol oh dear, horny much guys??? I like everyone advice, I'm thinking of finding Nao and work with what we have. (she moved to ohio) :'-( ... If I cant convince her to come back and give this band another shot. Then I'll go solo and find my own people. Bring on the band orgy!!!! 
Quote by koslack

Girlschool? Really?..... they're pretty terrible.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by isabiggles
Girlschool? Really?
Yeah, really.
Like it or not, they have a very strong following, Internationally. And they've been around since the 80s.

Quote by isabiggles
Sure, if you like being known as that band that people go to to watch girls with instruments and later fap over the mental image then sure.
They aren't that good looking, really. Nothing special. I really doubt there's a lot of fapping over them, happening with their numerous fans.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
It is ridiculous for people to give up so easily when the first attempt at starting a band doesn't work out. It took me about 18 months to finally assemble a functional, committed, talented band and it was all worth it.

Started off as me (guitar) and drummer 1
+ bassist
+ lead guitar
+ singer 1

- singer 1 (terrible and uncommitted, kicked out)
+ singer 2
- drummer 1 (didn't like musical direction, left)
+ drummer 2
- lead guitar (uncommitted and uninterested, left)

Played a few gigs with this setup, then

- singer 2 (broke up with bassist, got awkward, left)
+ singer 3
- singer 3 (didn't have time, left)
+ singer/keyboard 4

Now with me, bassist, drummer 2 and singer 4 we have a great setup, having loads of fun and making good music. I felt like quitting plenty of times but it just takes a lot of persistence. Finding compatible band mates is hard, but never impossible.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Yeah, really.
Like it or not, they have a very strong following, Internationally. And they've been around since the 80s.

They aren't that good looking, really. Nothing special. I really doubt there's a lot of fapping over them, happening with their numerous fans.

They're succesful but hardly for the music. If it weren't for them being an all girl band they'd just be another NWOHM band. Honestly, I saw them back in November with Motorhead, they're pretty terrible.

Two of the girls back in the 80s were nice on the eyes, of course the drummer isn't exactly.. heh.. you know. It's more the fact that they're girls with guitars that make a lot of metalheads flip and go mental. I mean, the singer's leather trousers were pretty tight back in November.

My point is that there is no point in LOOKING to start an all girl band unless you want to have that 'zomg girls with guitars!' thing going for you. I'm against that but there's no good reason for wanting to start an all girl band otherwise.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
.... any more than there's any real point in LOOKING to start an all guy band....

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
.... any more than there's any real point in LOOKING to start an all guy band....

CT

Pretty much yeah... it's just that the majority of musicians tend to be male i've found (particularly in metal).
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
Which was pretty much my point, but I was also pointing out that sometimes, guys form bands and they don't want girls in their band for a variety of reasons. You know, that topic that keeps coming up about every other week?

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Which was pretty much my point, but I was also pointing out that sometimes, guys form bands and they don't want girls in their band for a variety of reasons. You know, that topic that keeps coming up about every other week?

CT

Meh, there's no point in it unless you're looking for a singer.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
Quote by isabiggles
They're succesful but hardly for the music. If it weren't for them being an all girl band they'd just be another NWOHM band.
Oh gee, let's see. All-girl band gets exceptional reception from the public for "no apparent reason" other than the fact that there are no guys in the band. Let's assume your premise is correct, okay?

Quote by isabiggles
My point is that there is no point in LOOKING to start an all girl band unless you want to have that 'zomg girls with guitars!' thing going for you. I'm against that but there's no good reason for wanting to start an all girl band otherwise.
Wrong. Just like all-guy bands, all-girl bands get to bypass all the bullshit that is possible with band members dating each other, then breaking up. This is a very real possibility in mixed bands. It happens often and the personal issues can destroy a band even if the couple stays together, because of jealousy from other members. Unless of course there are any gay members in the band. Then you might have the same problems in an all-guy or all-girl band.

So now let's return to your original premise. All-girl bands get some kind of special notice and undeserved popularity.

How is this detrimental to the band?
It's a plus not a minus, sunshine. If a mixed band of good quality attains average popularity from the public, but a band of that same quality gets more fans, more notice, more popularity, and is perceived as being something special solely due to the fact that they are all-girl, a girl starting a band would have to be brain-dead to not tap into that, if possible.

If members could be found with sufficient talent, and who are capable of working together with personal and musical compatibility, according to your assessment they would get more than they deserve, in their reception by the public. You seem to think this is a bad thing. You couldn't be more wrong.

The added difficulty in finding musicians if you restrict the field to only females is an effort well worth taking. You only have to do this once, during the recruiting of the band members. After that, the dividends keep paying off.

Maybe you're jealous of this due to the fact that you are not female and can't participate in an endeavor like this. Get over it. We're not talking about you. This is TS's band. I say: DO IT, if at all possible.

Ggss2020, if you don't compromise your standards just because a prospective member is female and set a high enough threshold of talent and compatibility, an all-girl band would be excellent. It will open doors for you that might have otherwise taken a crowbar to pry open.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Well i was wondering if its possible to try and form an all girls heavy metal band. I just figured it'll be less stressful on my marriage with any c**ks around. I know itll be hard cuz I gotta start with myself first and look out for any awesome skilled musician to work with. And if I come across a male musician, my husband and I will try to talk it out ya know?I heard from Nao and she said she has totally givin up on it. Its ok tough cuz Im the one putting this together. So I have a solo gig at a café in Tampa. I hope it goes well, cuz this is my very first gig. Thanks again for your advices everyone ^_^v
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

It's a plus not a minus, sunshine. If a mixed band of good quality attains average popularity from the public, but a band of that same quality gets more fans, more notice, more popularity, and is perceived as being something special solely due to the fact that they are all-girl, a girl starting a band would have to be brain-dead to not tap into that, if possible.

If members could be found with sufficient talent, and who are capable of working together with personal and musical compatibility, according to your assessment they would get more than they deserve, in their reception by the public. You seem to think this is a bad thing. You couldn't be more wrong.

Maybe you're jealous of this due to the fact that you are not female and can't participate in an endeavor like this. Get over it. We're not talking about you. This is TS's band. I say: DO IT, if at all possible.

Actually, if you go back to my first post (I think) I say that by all means go for it if she wants to be in the band that's 'the band with all girls in it'. I think it's a bad thing because 'success' should come from standing out musically and not just from gender.

Also, i'm not jealous and I don't know where you got that from. I just pointed out that joining an all girl band won't make better music, just lots of fanboys at your every command.

Quote by Ggss2020
Well i was wondering if its possible to try and form an all girls heavy metal band.

Pretty much impossible nowadays. I won't stop you trying but starting up a metal band is hard enough as it is without it being all girls. Think of it this way... it's hard to find a capable drummer. It's really hard to find a capable metal drummer. How hard will it be to find a capable female metal drummer? Same applies to most other band mates
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
Last edited by isabiggles at May 31, 2010,
Quote by isabiggles
Actually, if you go back to my first post (I think)

You mean this lovely little gem?
Quote by isabiggles
Sure, if you like being known as that band that people go to to watch girls with instruments and later fap over the mental image then sure.
Thanks for reminding me. It makes me laugh uncontrollably every time I read it.

Quote by isabiggles
I think it's a bad thing because 'success' should come from standing out musically and not just from gender.
You're free to think that, no matter how wrong it is.

Success can come from any legal means possible and practical. Only a fool would ignore any of the tools at their disposal.

Quote by isabiggles
I just pointed out that joining an all girl band won't make better music, just lots of fanboys at your every command.
Gee, let's see. The band won't necessarily be better (or worse), but automatically they would have more fans due to a built-in hook.

You believe this to be a bad thing ... how?

Quote by isabiggles
it's hard to find a capable drummer.
Metal drummers are rather easy to find. Find drum and bugle corp drummers. If any of them also play a kit, they generally have the mechanics down for machinegunning and other precision/speed techniques.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2QixmwAl5Y

Again, the field to choose from will be smaller, if the males are excluded. But it is far from "impossible".

Quote by Ggss2020
Well i was wondering if its possible to try and form an all girls heavy metal band. I just figured it'll be less stressful on my marriage with any c**ks around. I know itll be hard cuz I gotta start with myself first and look out for any awesome skilled musician to work with. And if I come across a male musician, my husband and I will try to talk it out ya know?I heard from Nao and she said she has totally givin up on it. Its ok tough cuz Im the one putting this together. So I have a solo gig at a café in Tampa. I hope it goes well, cuz this is my very first gig. Thanks again for your advices everyone ^_^v
Sure. That makes a lot of sense. Most adult musicians have enough class to not shit where they eat. But not all. An all-girl band would eliminate a lot of the trust issues that can cause marital problems.

It's gonna take longer to put a band together if you are specific about a narrower musical genre and only female musicians. But if you and the other early members in the band are patient and determined, it can happen.

Good luck
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You mean this lovely little gem? Thanks for reminding me. It makes me laugh uncontrollably every time I read it.

You're free to think that, no matter how wrong it is.

Success can come from any legal means possible and practical. Only a fool would ignore any of the tools at their disposal.

Gee, let's see. The band won't necessarily be better (or worse), but automatically they would have more fans due to a built-in hook.

You believe this to be a bad thing ... how?

Metal drummers are rather easy to find. Find drum and bugle corp drummers. If any of them also play a kit, they generally have the mechanics down for machinegunning and other precision/speed techniques.

Again, the field to choose from will be smaller, if the males are excluded. But it is far from "impossible".

Hah, yeah I do put that rather condescendingly I suppose. I never say that it would be a bad thing for TS to start an all-girl band except in my opiniion. I personally think that a fan base should be established due to musical merits or live performances rather than simply because they're all girls. That's why in my first post I say (in a fairly rude way) that she will get more fans with an all girl band but it won't neccesarily be for the right reasons. That's not too hard to understand. I hope you understand that i'm one of those annoying people who think it's 'all about the music man!'

Thing is, if you have a member who isn't into the music you play then chances are the band will be worse off. Most metalheads choose to play the guitar simply because that's the most appealing (same is true for other genres but not to such an extent). Drummers are pretty hard to find in my experience. There are extremely few female metal drummers out there.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
Quote by isabiggles
That's why in my first post I say (in a fairly rude way) that she will get more fans with an all girl band but it won't neccesarily be for the right reasons.
When it comes to success, there is no such thing as "the wrong reasons". Anything that gets you noticed is fair game. Play good music and keep those fans who noticed you happy. However you dress it up, is entirely your choice.

Quote by isabiggles
I hope you understand that i'm one of those annoying people who think it's 'all about the music man!'
Yeah, it's too bad you weren't around in the early 70s.
You might have been able to help keep this travesty from occurring:

Quote by isabiggles
Thing is, if you have a member who isn't into the music you play then chances are the band will be worse off.
Who does that? Some goofy kid, maybe. But we're talking adults here. TS is a married woman. That means she's an adult, not a child. I'm quite sure she's capable of seeing right through someone who is thinking "Oh, cool. A band. Who cares what kind of music they play, if I'm in a band, that will make me cool, too." It's all part of the audition process. And having the patience and determination to not settle for less than what's needed.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
When it comes to success, there is no such thing as "the wrong reasons". Anything that gets you noticed is fair game. Play good music and keep those fans who noticed you happy. However you dress it up, is entirely your choice.

Yeah, it's too bad you weren't around in the early 70s.
You might have been able to help keep this travesty from occurring:

(Invalid img)

Who does that? Some goofy kid, maybe. But we're talking adults here. TS is a married woman. That means she's an adult, not a child. I'm quite sure she's capable of seeing right through someone who is thinking "Oh, cool. A band. Who cares what kind of music they play, if I'm in a band, that will make me cool, too." It's all part of the audition process. And having the patience and determination to not settle for less than what's needed.

Well that's really your opinion. I like to think otherwise.

Kiss made some good songs man, don't push it

Not sure what you're getting at here.. I was saying that it's better to have band members who are into the same music that they're going to play.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
Pretty much impossible nowadays. I won't stop you trying but starting up a metal band is hard enough as it is without it being all girls. Think of it this way... it's hard to find a capable drummer. It's really hard to find a capable metal drummer. How hard will it be to find a capable female metal drummer? Same applies to most other band mates

True true, well I had my first gig and it was great!!! I guess I could stay solo for a while. You know? And keep up with the musician networking lol.
Well that's really your opinion. I like to think otherwise.

Not sure what you're getting at here.. I was saying that it's better to have band members who are into the same music that they're going to play.

<3 Kiss!!!! lol they are great.
We just made a band with friends, as long as they could kinda play the instrument that was good enough. (other guitarist said it wouldnt work)

Now we are one of the most popular bands in our scene.

so, yeah
Is bad ass one or two words?
Quote by isabiggles
Exactly my point. Did you finally get it?

The makeup and outfits were definitely not "all about the music, man". Just because you have a "gimmick" doesn't mean you can't make great music. Just because people notice you for something other than the music itself, doesn't take anything away from the music you make. They got a shit-ton of fans immediately, just because of the way they looked. According to you, this is success for the "wrong reasons".

Quote by Ggss2020
I had my first gig and it was great!!! I guess I could stay solo for a while. You know? And keep up with the musician networking lol.
Sounds like a good plan. Keep playing and expanding your contacts. Do a few jams here and there with different musicians, just for fun. When you find enough pieces of the puzzle that can fit, then try to get them all together and see if there's potential.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Exactly my point. Did you finally get it?

The makeup and outfits were definitely not "all about the music, man". Just because you have a "gimmick" doesn't mean you can't make great music. Just because people notice you for something other than the music itself, doesn't take anything away from the music you make. They got a shit-ton of fans immediately, just because of the way they looked. According to you, this is success for the "wrong reasons".

Kiss wrote some good music. That's all I care about, it doesn't matter how succesful they are. Gimmicks are ok if they're sufficiently lulzy (see Gwar, Alestorm etc.) but these bands also make some good music too. My point originally is that Girlschool make some pretty damn average trad. metal (and basically everyone i've talked to will agree, there's generally this feeling amonst metal fans that girlschool are crap), yet they're still very succesful. Good for them, I and many others still see them as 'that band with all girls in it'.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
Page 1 of 2