I'm a bassist of 4 years, and a few weeks ago I bought an acoustic guitar so I can have something to play on the go. I learned how to play Nothing Else Matters by Metallica and decided to arrange it so it doesn't have an electric guitar.

The piece has an acoustic guitar, and 2 basses for instruments.

I was wondering if it was ok to have 2 basses in the situation. One bass plays the main distortion parts at a higher octave with a pick, and the other plays the main bass parts and the electric guitar solo.

I think it sounds fine but should I do it differently? Like have another acoustic play what I labeled "Rythm Bass" or is it all based on taist and I should do what I feel sounds better?
Attachments:
Nothing Else Matters arr..gp5
Random off brand P Bass (Fretless)
SR 485 Sound gear 5 string bass
60's Crown violin bass
Rogue RA-100D Acoustic Guitar
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
What is it for?
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
To make a recording
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Well, it's kind of hard to distinguish between the two basses, so I'd change it up.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by hockeyplayer168
Well, it's kind of hard to distinguish between the two basses, so I'd change it up.

Well for most of the song the bass is just suppose to blend in with the guitar except for the solo where it does it's own thing.

And when I record it I'll probably have the treble way up for the higher bass and less treble on the bass bass
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Quote by EBass
Well for most of the song the bass is just suppose to blend in with the guitar except for the solo where it does it's own thing.

And when I record it I'll probably have the treble way up for the higher bass and less treble on the bass bass

Get a guitar player man.
Quote by griffRG7321
Get a guitar player man.

Well if needed I could play the high part on guitar. The whole thing was that I just don't want distortion in it, and I like the natural tone that a bass gives (kinda why I'm a bassist)
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Quote by EBass
Well if needed I could play the high part on guitar. The whole thing was that I just don't want distortion in it, and I like the natural tone that a bass gives (kinda why I'm a bassist)

Overdub the high part on acoustic.

What's the occasion for this recording? For an example or just for fun?
good arrangement technique would dictate that this is a bad way to arrange the song - the melody line would become too muddy. but again, what effect are you looking to develop? are you looking to make it sound darker?

honestly, i'd advise against it, but that doesn't mean that it's not "ok". it's your arrangement, and you can do it however you see fit.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by griffRG7321
Overdub the high part on acoustic.

What's the occasion for this recording? For an example or just for fun?

My friends are making a cd with classical and metalish (stuff that apocalyptica would do) all of us (10 of us) get one track on the cd and were going to do a Hall of the Mountain King cover on our orchestral instruments.
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Quote by AeolianWolf
good arrangement technique would dictate that this is a bad way to arrange the song - the melody line would become too muddy. but again, what effect are you looking to develop? are you looking to make it sound darker?

honestly, i'd advise against it, but that doesn't mean that it's not "ok". it's your arrangement, and you can do it however you see fit.

Well, I'm trying to get it a little darker and deeper, wile also making it sound more natural
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
I don't see how it is so different than the original anyway, besides the solo being played on the bass not too much is different. Perhaps you should find a violinist to play the solo or something.
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Quote by Msword7
I don't see how it is so different than the original anyway, besides the solo being played on the bass not too much is different. Perhaps you should find a violinist to play the solo or something.

It's not suppose to be different (I didn't even touch the acoustic part, I'm just trying to make it sound natural and slightly more classical (with lack of a better description).

The violin thing is a good idea, but I don't know any violinists that would be able to play it nicely.
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Quote by EBass
It's not suppose to be different (I didn't even touch the acoustic part, I'm just trying to make it sound natural and slightly more classical (with lack of a better description).

The violin thing is a good idea, but I don't know any violinists that would be able to play it nicely.

cello. use a cello for the voice you call "rhythm bass", and use an electric bass for the "bass" voice. you can do it the other way around, but it seems that the "rhythm bass" voice is more tenor than bass, so put the cello on it.
Quote by AeolianWolf
cello. use a cello for the voice you call "rhythm bass", and use an electric bass for the "bass" voice. you can do it the other way around, but it seems that the "rhythm bass" voice is more tenor than bass, so put the cello on it.

Alright, that sounds easy enough. One of my friends working on the cd plays cello and I'm sure he would do it.
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
maybe find another higher voiced instrument for the melody line? I think if Bass is doing... bass, and cello is doing a rhythm tenor lead, I would like to hear how maybe a flute would sound over top of that if you cant find violin. itd definitely give it a different, yet probably relaxing feeling
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by Zinnie
maybe find another higher voiced instrument for the melody line? I think if Bass is doing... bass, and cello is doing a rhythm tenor lead, I would like to hear how maybe a flute would sound over top of that if you cant find violin. itd definitely give it a different, yet probably relaxing feeling

i don't know about that. flute would make it sound too light. if you absolutely have to have a woodwind, oboe might be best -- or, if you want a dark sound, use the middle-low register of the clarinet.