I picked up a guitar about 2 months ago and have been working on learning/switching chords and just fooling around a bit...

I'm noticing that I'm starting to get the chord switches, BUT I'm absolutely terrible with rhythm. For example, a simple D DU U DU strum pattern completely screws me up.

I can do one strum at a time, but if I try to strum several together, I inevitably switch up the sequence and mess it all up...

Can anybody recommend some good training techniques to help with establishing good rhythm? I guess a metronome is my best option, but I haven't had much luck with it thus far. Any help/advice is appreciated.
take the thread to guitar techniques
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
it takes time. when your learning something pratice it very slow with no mistakes over and over then slowly speed up. you just have to wait for it to sink into muscle memory. pratice alternate/economy picking
*reported*
Read first response for reason
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"