Ok, so Ive been playing a little more than a year now, I know all the main chords and can play pretty well, I just need some help on where to start for lead stuff.. any suggestions at all?!
Jimi Hendrix- Wind Cries Mary (solo)
Fleetwood Mac- Don't Stop (solo)
The Vapors- Turning Japanese (solo)
Metallica- One (intro solo)
Metallica- Fade to Black (intro solo)
Cream- Sunshine of Your Love (solo)
Dream Theater- Endless sacrifice (intro keyboard solo on guitar)
Nirvana- Smells like Teen spirit (solo)
Last edited by salgala2000 at May 26, 2010,
learn the major scale. the first not on the e string should be your root note. google jam tracks in whatever key your root note is, then just play around and make up licks only hitting notes that are in that scale. try to end phrases on root notes. and add some bends here and there an boom, you can play lead.

the easiest and most (over)used scale is probably the minor pentatonic scale.
its straight salgala... and thanks rickyj where do i go to learn the scales? lol
lol well chordbook.com is a good place to start. look up modes and learn what they are and how they work. its gonna be really confusing at first but give it time.
Quote by rickyj
lol well chordbook.com is a good place to start. look up modes and learn what they are and how they work. its gonna be really confusing at first but give it time.

no, do not look up modes - you're not going to need to go near them for months, if you ever need them at all.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by DrewskyD
Ok, so Ive been playing a little more than a year now, I know all the main chords and can play pretty well, I just need some help on where to start for lead stuff.. any suggestions at all?!

Learn some scales/basic theory, don't touch modes for a little while, they'll only confuse you. Whilst doing this get some backing tracks from the internet and just practice improvising lead parts. Also, learn lead parts from songs that you like, and maybe some you like and are challenging, if you learn lead parts that are simple you'll stay playing simple lead parts, so always try to better yourself. That and take it slowly, chops don't happen overnight, it takes patience.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.