I've recently switched from a Les Paul to an SG, and find my self having problems with the neck heaviness. I find myself have to hold the guitar up in place with the elbow of my strumming arm when I play standing up. also the placement of the top straplock doesn't really help much either

any easy solutions to these problems do I just need to get used to it?(sorry if this is a dumb question)
Last edited by handbanana at May 26, 2010,
Maybe there is a problem with the way it's set up, like the straplocks aren't right or something. My SG Raw Power isn't neck heavy, maybe other SGs are, im not sure.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
the few sgs ive playd do seem to tip over like wont stay put like a lep paul, i think its jus the body style
Most SGs do have very bad 'neck-dive'

It's mostly due to the location if the strap button, and the ratio between the weight of the body and the neck.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I think Epiphones suffer with this more than Gibsons, Older Gibson SG's with 60's style joints on the neck are slightly worse than the newer models with the supporting joint.
You can stop this happening with a leather strap with a rough suede underside that will grip to your shoulder.

Regards
Del
Yeah, as others have said SG's are neck heavy, I think its stated on the SG Wikipedia page too...
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
I have an Epiphone G-400 and it's also neck heavy. It's something you are going to have to get used to.
its somthing your just gonna have to get use to.its probaly the transition from a heavier les paul to a light weight SG.
does it have a 50's neck profile which is thicker and a little heavier or a 60's neck profile which is lighter cause some SG's have been made with a 50's neck profile
i play a SG and mines the perfect balance
I've owned a g400 before and currently own a faded special. The g400 was neck heavy and would always fall down, but the faded special isn't. I found the best way around the diving neck problem was to use a good guitar strap (leather ones worked the best).

Try getting a strap with good friction material so it grips to you instead of sliding downwards, alternatively you could try countering the weight by putting something on one end of the strap like a capo or anything else you have to hand - it may need to be heavier depending on how unbalanced it is.

Hope this has helped!
If you're good with tools maybe you can take out the screw of the top strap pin and put a flat metal bar in with another screw at the top. This raises the actual position of the strap pin, either getting rid of or reducing the general issue.

I used to have a pic of this and it was pretty genius, but unfortunately I lost it.
if I had a g-400 i would probably do this in a second. But I have an Gibson SG Standard, so I don't think i'll be drilling any new holes in it any time soon. Someone I talked to suggested maybe moving the bottom strat lock a little higher on the body instead of the top one.
Quote by handbanana
if I had a g-400 i would probably do this in a second. But I have an Gibson SG Standard, so I don't think i'll be drilling any new holes in it any time soon. Someone I talked to suggested maybe moving the bottom strat lock a little higher on the body instead of the top one.

I wouldn't either especially being a Gibson, just an option though.
it's just how sg's are. That's why I got a doublecut les paul instead of the sg when I needed more access.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer