Hi All,

I've been looking around at 15 Watt tube heads and can safely say I have no idea what to get! Importantly, I'm looking for one that doesn't break the banks and works well with pedals so a good clean channel is a must, especially fuzz. Most of the other threads I've seen on Google look at a Hard Rock or Heavy Rock, but I'm more into Alternative like Muse, Radiohead and Morello so I'm not sure amps suggested there will work as well as I want them to. Here are some heads I'm interested in:

- Blackstar Artisan £700
- Vox Night Train £350
- Blackheart BH15H £250
- Orange Tiny Terror £370 - Not sure how this copes with fuzz pedals ( or pedals full stop)

I use a Pacifica 112 into a Big Muff or a DIY Woolly Mammoth-esque Pedal
All Ideas Welcome, Cheers
Blackstar HT series is amazing, as is the Atrisan. I'm dying for one of these actually. The Vox night train is a pretty damn good amp too. I would probably go for the Blackstar just because to my ears, they sound a little better. They have better cleans, better rock tones, and have more gain on tap. But dont get me wrong, the Vox does have something special about it too.

try all of them out and see what you like
Coughbuymytinyterrorcough

Well, i can say from experience that the tiny terror loves Muff pedals, it does a nice clean but there isn't THAT much headroom, are you looking to gig with it?
Strat

Proco Turbo RAT
Boss RE-20

Fender Blues Junior
night train. played one a few times, it was a dam good amp.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
if you're looking at single channel heads like tiny terrors, also consider the valvepower 18 watter. Things like EVA, martamp/mjw (think he's stopped taking orders though), matamp, cornell etc. would be worth considering too.

I'm not sure a single channel head is what you want for those tones (could be wrong), but it'd be daft not to recommend them in case you end up with a tiny terror lol (not a major fan).

I've only tried the valvepower, but if you ask me, it's superior to the artisan for half the price. It only has one channel, though, if that's important. it doesn't have a ton of headroom (but then not too many 15-20 watters will).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 26, 2010,
Most of the amps he listed are single channel jobs. Also try an egnater tweaker if you can.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
yeah, that's what i meant. if he's going to end up with a single channel amp anyway he might as well end up with a good one
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, that's what i meant. if he's going to end up with a single channel amp anyway he might as well end up with a good one

my thoughts exactly.
yeah, the matamp and the tweaker are what i would look at if is was in the market for a small amp. i own the TT, because when i got it there wasn't a ton of 15 watt amps out, and the TT quite usable but there is better out there now.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
The Fender Super Champ XD clean channel takes pedals very well, and it's got a 15watt 6V6 power amp. It's a cheap amp and has a speaker output so you could use it as a head. It's also very portable if you want to use it without your normal rig. And you can get a wide range of tones without your pedals.
check out Epiphone valve senior, 18 watt with 6v6
Ibanez Iceman MIK 2005
Orange Dual Terror
Vox v110nt cab

DIY BSIAB
Danelectro CC TOD-1

Quote by gregs1020
my thoughts exactly.

based on your clips (i haven't tried it) the tweaker would definitely be worth a look

Quote by i_am_metalhead
How about a Mesa Transatlantic? They are fairly versatile and aren't that expensive.

they are this side of the atlantic (IRONY ALERT)... i think they're like £1000 here.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So, now I'm considering the AC15, JCA20H & Tweaker as well...
But I think I'm gonna rule out the Terror, and might avoid the fender in favour of more Marshall-ish sounds. Power switches would be nice for the gig to bedroom transition. What bugs me most is that I really don't know if it's justifiable to pay so much more for an AC15 or Blackstar, especially when the AC15 is competing with the Night Train.

What do you think?
Quote by Dave_Mc

based on your clips (i haven't tried it) the tweaker would definitely be worth a look

they are this side of the atlantic (IRONY ALERT)... i think they're like £1000 here.

Oh yea, forgot about import taxes and stuff - they're $800 new here.
Given the style of music you are playing and the fact that you are buying an amp for it's preamp tone, I would give serious consideration to buying an amp with an FX loop. That rules out most everthing you've listed except the Tweaker.
also check out the blackstar ht-20. its 20 watts though but has 2 channels.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by Dave_Mc

i have seen the future of 15 watt tube heads, and it is teh tw34ker lol.

dayum about the transatlantic.
The Hayden Mofo 20 watt head has reasonably good reviews i believe, think they are around £400 may be worth a look?
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by gregs1020
i have seen the future of 15 watt tube heads, and it is teh tw34ker lol.

dayum about the transatlantic.

that reminds me, I think engl is releasing a 15 watt head. two channels... in europe it'll probably be cheaper than the egnater tweaker. Prices I saw on thomann and other german stores were around the £400 mark. I think it's made in Germany too.

Might be worth considering (though obviously I haven't tried it).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Not to sure about the Engl, its not even been released yet. Mofo looks okay but I'm not sure it would be worth the money, given the reviews I've seen. Maybe I'm best off looking for a cheap/second hand AC15 or a Tweaker.

I'm especially tempted towards the Vox because Bellamy of Muse and Greenwood of Radiohead use AC30s. So it should get me the right tone