View poll results: Which Amp
Marshall Haze 15
7 32%
Orange Tiny Terror
12 55%
Other(explain)
3 14%
Voters: 22.
So i'm looking at getting a low watt all tube amp.
i've pretty much narrowed it down to the Marshall Haze 15 or an Orange Tiny Terror.

Now i currently play a Marshall amp and love the marshall tone, but i've been told orange amps are great, but i'm not sure if it will fit my style of play or not. but at the same time the orange uses 2 12ax7's and 2 6v6's, whereas as the marshall uses 1 12ax7 and 1 6l6 i believe( i'm not positive on the power tube models but I know the orange uses two and the marshall uses 1 each).

I play mostly punk, metal, rock, grunge, hardcore, emo, etc. But I like a lot of warmth with a decent amount of crunch.

Any preferences towards either amp?

Someone also told me to check out a Blackstar amp.

I'm kind of leaning towards the marshall cause I love the classic marshall tone. Convince why this is or isn't a good decision. BTW I'm most likely buying the amp used, not new.
Last edited by handbanana at May 26, 2010,
tiny terror uses el84s. haze uses 6v6s. bear in mind tube types aren't the only thing affecting tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i wasn't intending they were better for tube types cause they can easily be swapped, i was just mentioning that the orange used 4 tubes instead of 2 and does that make a big difference?
Also i'm considering looking at Peavey Valveking as well, I just need something not too expensive.
They are both pretty nice amps.
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158
so many wrong facts.

6v6s and el84s cannot be swapped.
The tiny terror has a 2 stage gain preamp feeding into 2 el84s.

the haze has 3 12ax7s feeding into 2 6v6s.

The classic marshall tone is the el34 even though it's not really all that matters.
The el84 is closer to the el34 then the 6v6.

15 watts is not low watt. If you want a good crunchy british sounding amp, the orange ad5 will fit that much better.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
you're overthinking what i'm saying, i wasn't saying i can swap different kinds of tubs for anothers, i was saying if I don't like the tube I can swap it for a better brand of tubes.

but I also want something with a bit more gain to it as well as crunshiness
no I'm saying that your first post got the type and tubes wrong for both amps you were talking about. TT has more gain then the haze.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
There seems to have been a renaissance in low-watt tube amps recently, so a list of two possibilities is pretty restricted. You might add Egnater, Blackstar, Jet City. And there's also Fender, Epiphone, and other standards. You might consider starting here and moving on from there. The range of choices is really quite surprising.
^ sweet, nice link!

Quote by handbanana
i wasn't intending they were better for tube types cause they can easily be swapped, i was just mentioning that the orange used 4 tubes instead of 2 and does that make a big difference?

you're gonna have a hard job swapping el84s. as min said, el84s probably sound more british than 6v6s, but 6v6s kinda sound more british than 6L6s, if that makes sense. 6v6s still sound american, but are kinda half a step towards more british.

Depends on the circuit, really. the TT has 2 power tubes, one phase inverter and one preamp tube. the marshall has an extra preamp tube... all things being equal (which they aren't) that'd suggest more preamp gain (which isn't the same thing as being better), though it has a full TMB tonestack so you're probably losing some gain there anyway which has to be made up again...

you'd need to try them really. short answer is that number of tubes doesn't matter, really... if you want brootz you'd want more than one preamp tube, kinda thing, but that's about it. and just because something has a lot of gain stages doesn't mean it's a good amp.

i haven't tried the haze, if AM/min says the TT has more gain, I'll defer to his better knowledge. If you want crunch plus a bit of extra gain, the TT would probably work for that. It has quite a unique tone, though, i wasn't too fussed. It gets very fizzy if you push the preamp gain too much at too low a volume (but still has that kind of dark orange tone).

maybe take a look at the jet city 20 watter too? I haven't tried it, though, but from the clips and what I've heard about them, it'd probably do what you want too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 27, 2010,
i would highly recommend a egnater tweaker or rebel.

i have been sooo impressed with Egnater. check out some videos of it.

i own the renegade head, and have a tweaker on order (whenever it goes off of backorder).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by handbanana
thanks dave, you and mrflibble are my favorite posters on this forum

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by phank
There seems to have been a renaissance in low-watt tube amps recently, so a list of two possibilities is pretty restricted. You might add Egnater, Blackstar, Jet City. And there's also Fender, Epiphone, and other standards. You might consider starting here and moving on from there. The range of choices is really quite surprising.

I just bookmarked that link, I could spend hours clicking in there. I clicked on Metal Guitars and it wasn't what I expected....it was better.

http://www.jedistar.com/metal_guitars.htm
yeah, i bookmarked the link too, it was great.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?