Hi guys.

Once again, i am in the market for a new amp. Having upgraded to an ENGL Thunder 50 combo about 6 months ago, i've had my first experiences with tube amps and loved most of the time. However, it's also broken 3 times, none of which were the tubes. Now that it has gone again, and once again nothing to do with how i have been treating it, i'm sick of it and am trying to sort either a refund or a swap for something of equal value with GAK.

As a result, i have around £750 to spend on a new amp. For a start, it will more than likely have to be from GAK, so i'm already limited in my options. It also has to be tube, don't wanna go back to SS again

The music i generally play ranges between hard Rock, thrash metal and metalcore. Bands like Guns N Roses, Alter Bridge, ACDC etc. through Metallica, Maiden, Megadeth, to Trivium, BFMV, Atreyu and A7X. I also play some stuff like BTBAM, and then on the other end of the scale Pink Floyd.

I want an amp that can cover most of those bands quite well. I've had my eye on an Orange Dual Terror w/ 1x12 Orange cab and a Maxon OD9, however i want to make sure i get the best possible amp, hence the thread. I'm not sure how well the DT will cover the sounds i want. I've also looked at the Rocker 30 + Orange 1x12 cab, though i couldn't afford a pedal with that if it was required.

Outside of Orange, i'm not too sure what to look at. I would prefer the versatility of a head + cab, and for now am happy with a good 1x12 cab, which i'll upgrade to a 2x12 when i have the money to spend on a good one. I will go combo if that is the ebst thing for me, but preferably a head and cab.

One of my first ideas was to go to Bugera, with which i could afford an Orange 2x12 cab with, assuming i wouldn't need a pedal for extra gain or anything. However, as much as i hear the problems with reliability are gone, i'm still quite wary of them. Even so, i'm more than happy to consider them.

Possibly of importance is that the two bands i play in, in the hard rock band, the other guitarist has a Peavey Bandit 112, and in my metal band, the other guitarist has a Marshall Kerry King head and an Orange 2x12 cab. So i need to be able to compete with this. I'll be using the amp for bedroom practice, band practice and gigs, but i doubt i'll need more than 30w from the Dual Terror or R30, if i do i can mic it up, however the option to reduce the power to 15/7w would be nice too.

So basically, i'm sold on the idea of a DT w. 1x12 combo (to be upgraded in a few months to a 2x12). I love the portability of the amp, and i hear great things about the tone, and the brief play i had with one sounded amazing, i didn't get a chance to play with it though, hence my not knowing how much gain i can get from it. So if anyone here has a DT or TT, will i be able to play the bands i mentioned at the start, and how does the amp sound for metal?

If the DT isn't suitable, would the R30 be? And if that isn't, where should i look instead (bearing in mind i'm probably limited to GAK, as i mentioned)

Long post, thanks for reading, if indeed you managed to get all the way through, all help appreciated
Quote by osXtiger
I cook children who are born out of wedlock on a spit.

CHICAGO BEARS - LA KINGS - USC - BURNLEY FC

GO KINGS!

‎'Senna não morreu, porque os deuses não morrem'

Bruno Senna
The Laney GH50L might be a good choice or a Bugera 6262
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Nice, i'll check 'em out.

As i said, though, i've slightly fallen in love with the DT, i'm just unsure as to whether it can do what i need, and i seem to have a thing for Orange at the moment, and failing the DT my second choice would be the Rocker 30, but again, not sure it can do what i need...
Quote by osXtiger

GO KINGS!

Bruno Senna
I got a Rocker 30.

Probably the most amazing amp you can get for it's value IMO. It's got great crunch, and a pedal wouldn't be needed, unless you're into deep down heavy grungy metal stuff. And with Gak, you can get them in Any tolex you want.

Join me in White
Quote by Iveness92
I got a Rocker 30.

Probably the most amazing amp you can get for it's value IMO. It's got great crunch, and a pedal wouldn't be needed, unless you're into deep down heavy grungy metal stuff. And with Gak, you can get them in Any tolex you want.

Join me in White

So i could get Trivium, Atreyu, BFMV, Metallica etc. easily enough from it?
Quote by osXtiger

GO KINGS!

Bruno Senna
I played the DT the other day and thought it sounded awful when you cranked it to be honest, sounded alright at lower volumes, but when you turend it up it was just a big loud bassy mess, no matter where you had the tone and gain nobs.

Orange speaker cabinets are very good but very over priced.

The Rocker 30 is supposedly a very good amp, I was going to buy a used one the other day.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Just gonna necro my thread here...

I need a decision pretty soon, like later today, because i have a guy at GAK waiting to refund it, but we need to send in the order first... I've decided the DT won't really be suitable, and GAK doesn't sell the R30 anymore...

Does anyone have any experience with the Peavey 6505+ 112? With that, it'd free money up for a Maxon OD9, Korg PitchBlack, and a EhX Memory Boy... Not sure how reliable they are though...

Other than that, i'm not too sure what else i can really go for (£750 budget still) combo or head + cab is fine, but i do want portability...

Wouldn't normally necro, but it's easier than making a new thread...
Quote by osXtiger

GO KINGS!

Bruno Senna
Peavey's stuff is generally very reliable. As a VK owner, I can report no problems with mine, which has weathered international shipping trips, several years of gigging and transport on 3rd world country roads.

The 6505+ might not have good enough cleans for you, but they get the job done.

What about a Laney VH100?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Cleans aren't that important really, if they are passable then it's all good. I do still wonder how the DT would be with the Maxon OD9, and whether i could do modern metal with it, but if not, then i guess it's the Peavey...

Edit: Feck it, gotta get this sorted... I mainly use high gain, so the Peavey should be good for me, plus i can get some nice new pedals with the money i save...
Quote by osXtiger

GO KINGS!

Bruno Senna
Last edited by ir0nmaid3nfan at Jul 6, 2010,
Any last thoughts before i get the peavey? Would the Orange DT with a maxon OD9 do modern metal? Only got until 5 to do this really, so a reply within the next half an hour would be nice

Thanks guys :P
Quote by osXtiger

GO KINGS!

Bruno Senna
The DT with a boost probably would do modern metal, I personally don't like the sound of it at all though.

The Peavey is the perfect amp for modern metal, cleans arn't that important to you, and you will also get some cool pedals, sorted.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
for high gain get the peavey

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Sounds good to me

I can almost guarantee that i will end up with an orange head at some point, but i should probably cover my main stuff first i guess, ie modern metal.

Thanks guys Just a pity i can't afford a head/cab for the 6505, but it's all good, combos are more portable anyway i would think

Edit: Maxon OD9 or 808? I was gonna get the OD9, but i've seen a lot of people saying the 808 is better...
Quote by osXtiger

GO KINGS!

Bruno Senna
Last edited by ir0nmaid3nfan at Jul 6, 2010,
you wont need a boost with the 6505 lol

also if you get the combom get the 6505+ as it has better cleans in many peoples opinion.

it is a great amp, though the speaker is something you should consider replacing.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I dunno, i see a lot of people using it, regardless of the fact the Peavey has so much gain as it is.... if i definitely don't need it then i could get another pedal instead... But i dunno, i was under the impression it would be useful...
Quote by osXtiger

GO KINGS!

Bruno Senna
laney mebbe?

gh/vh/tt if any of those are under budget (i haven't tried the gh but have tried the other two, supposedly the gh is pretty similar to the vh but just single-channel).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by SwampAshSpecial

Can't, the money is a refund from GAK, but i can only get it from there, seeing as it was ENGL who were at fault and not GAK i'm lucky to get anything. I've had a few bad ENGL's in a row now, so i'm not going back to them...

I'll be happy with the Peavey i think.
Quote by osXtiger

GO KINGS!

Bruno Senna
Oh for ****s sake, GAK won't have the Peavey in until Octobver 1st, and somehow i think it'll take longer than that...

I have no intention of waiting that long, so i'm starting again.

£770 to spend, preferably a 2x12 cab and a head, but a combo is fine too. For modern metal (Trivium, BFMV, All That Remains, BTBAM, A7X etc.) so high gain stuff, and also some more hard rock kinda stuff (Velvet Revolver, Guns N Roses, that kinda stuff... ) will also be used rarely for Green Day, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater and other random bands.

Suggestions? (again?)

Thanks
Quote by osXtiger

GO KINGS!

Bruno Senna
i'm sticking with my laney tt suggestion.

I haven't tried the new hughes and kettner statesman or bogner alchemist, they might be worth considering too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Anyone know how the Jet City JCA50 head is for high gain stuff?

Edit: If i can't get a refund from GAK and go somewhere else, i guess i could get an Orange 2x12 cab and a bugera head (6262?) and that way i have a head that can play what i need, and a good cab that i won't need to replace for a while...
Quote by osXtiger

GO KINGS!

Bruno Senna
Last edited by ir0nmaid3nfan at Jul 7, 2010,