Iv started improvising a lot of solos, just playing around with different scales and what not and i can generally do nice little slow melodic solo's but when it comes to throwing in a fast part i cant make it fit...are there any tips on how to incorporate both into a solo, iv tried usin symmetrical shapes and passing note etc but its gettin a pain in the backside...and does any one have any ideas on how to incorporate a nice little shred part.

i play a lot of metal and my main influences are pantera, black label society and damagplan.

if someone could also suggest a daunting scary sounding scale as well, i like minor scales but i want to go more solemn, more spooky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Fender Greta + 1x12 Homemade cabinet - For sale PM for details.
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013 - Goldtop
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
your problem isn't really about scales its about phrasing. effective solos are tough to do and it's about hitting the perfect note(s) at the right time. it takes time and patience to learn how to make a solo flow. just keep at it and do't try to do to much at once. i've been playig for 30 years and still haven't mastered it so don't feel bad (i have a few songs in my profile is you want to check out my solos)
It's all about phrasing and feel which are both really hard to get good at. I can't recommend an exact way to get better at this but playing with people as much as possible is probably a really good way to go. As far as solemn and spooky scales try melodic minor, and harmonic minor, and maybe work on throwing in chromaticism in a way to get a solemn effect as well.
what are these scales like meloxydian and stuff like that...iv heard and read scaled like that but dont really know hwat they are
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Quote by mikeb2817
what are these scales like meloxydian and stuff like that...iv heard and read scaled like that but dont really know hwat they are

that's mixolydian, anyways get your self a book with all the various scale patterns in them. start with the easy ones like the pentatonic and build from there. don't bite off more than you can chew. if you can't make a decent solo from a pentatonic scale then the more comples ones are just going to casue more confusion.
thanks, iv got a scales book dug it out today...had never really looked at it....go figure its the one thing i need :P
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah