Hey folks, i recently purchased the shure sm57 and 58 for my pa. The sm58 sounds awesome, and feels like it can kill a man if dropped of a two story building. However i noticed a big sound difference between the 57 and 58, so much in fact that i thought the sm57 wasnt working. Come to find out, if hold the top of the diaphram of the 57 and speak into my hand, the sound is dramatically enhanced. Is the mic supposed to be like that or should i return it?
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Royale
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
The SM57s and SM58s should sound really similar IIRC. You may be having problems with your 57 so I'd suggest exchanging it for another.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Yea the response sheet shows very similar results and the capsules are the same from the 57 and 58...I would either get another 58 if you plan on using them for vocals but if you need an instrument mic, go with the 57.
The odd part is when i plugged both of them into my pod x3 live. Both produce the same volume, albeit different sound response, but other than that they are the same volume. That being said, do i need to use a mic preamp for a powered mixer?
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
where did you buy it from?

if you bought it from say ebay or craigslist, you might have a fake chinese sm57. Just an idea, not basing this at all off of your post
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
I bought it from music123.com. I read a few blogs and watched some unpacking videos of the shure knockoffs, and im fairly confident that mine is real. The ripoffs dont have serial numbers for the warranty, whereas the ones shipped to me do. Plus i didnt get the funky cream colored box that the ripoffs come in, but who knows, they could've gotten smarter about it.
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
That being said, do i need to use a mic preamp for a powered mixer?

You should just need a preamp on a mic channel...you may want to swap it out for another 57 and see if the new one does the same thing. I have had both of the mics in my studio and they sound very similar.

The powered mixer should already have a trim/gain knob at the top of the channel input controls which is your preamp gain. The powered mixers simply have a power amp to drive speakers...that's the only difference from powered and unpowered analog mixers.
Actually i figured it out, the PAD switch happened to be pressed on the channel i was testing it out on. I feel foolish but oh well, thanks for responding guys
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100