So right now I have a Peavey VK with matching cab. But I CAN'T get a good metal tone out of it. I've tried everything from Tubescreamers, to distortion pedals, it just can't get that hardcore tone. What heads do you reccomend for metal? My price range is around 500 bucks max, are the Line 6 Spider IV 150 heads any good? (yes, I am preparred to get bashed.)
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
The spiders get bashed for very good reason. They sound digital and sterile as hell. If you want to nail that hardcore tone I suggest looking at a used peavey 5150

Also check out the check out the bugera series such as the 6262 which in my experience has much better cleans than the peaveys. You may have to retube it and possibly rebias although it still sounds ****ing brutal nevertheless.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Adam124
The spiders get bashed for very good reason. They sound digital and sterile as hell. If you want to nail that hardcore tone I suggest looking at a used peavey 5150

Also check out the check out the bugera series such as the 6262 which in my experience has much better cleans than the peaveys. You may have to retube it and possibly rebias although it still sounds ****ing brutal nevertheless.

Sweet, thanks, i'll look into those.
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Don't get a Spider, your VK is already better than that.

Have you tried using all sorts of different EQ settings? Turned the amp up loud?
I've heard that the VK cabs are awful, maybe that's the reason you can't get a good metal tone?
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by denied
The VK isn't really a metal amp. You could stick a blackstar dist-x in front of it, which would probably work, but I'd really recommend a better, more metal oriented amp.

Whats your budget like? Are you willing to sell the VK+cab?

Well, right now I have a Ibanez TBX150 head, the Peavey VK, and the cab. I'd be willing to sell all, plus maybe 300 bucks cash. That's how much I have.
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Yea from what ive seen the valve king won't get you there. Cheapest options are probably 5150 as mentioned or a used rectifier. Maybe look at the bugera clones.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by TheFireWithinPA
Well, right now I have a Ibanez TBX150 head, the Peavey VK, and the cab. I'd be willing to sell all, plus maybe 300 bucks cash. That's how much I have.

Hmm. I've never looked into any of that at used priced, but you should be able to get 125-150 for the tone blaster, 3-350 for the valveking, and 150-200 on the cab. I have no idea how accurate these estimate are, I'm judging based on new prices.

By that estimate you could be looking at as much as a buget of 800-1000 which is pretty decent.

I'd look at heads and cabs of the following;

Peavey 5150/6505 (Get the combo unless your willing to get the head bias refixed)
Peavey 5150II/6505+
Peavey Ultra or Ultra Plus
Peavey XXX
Marshall JCM 900
Carvin V3

Probably just combos in your price range:

Marshall Jcm 2000 (probably just combos)
Mesa Single rectifier (Probably a combo here as well)

For cabs, I'd really recommend a 2x12 with your budget. They are also nicely portably, and you can always upgrade later.

If you spent most of your cash on a head, you'll probably want an avatar cab. Otherwise, look into an Earcandy Buzzbomb or Mesa Recto. For speakers, V30s are a good place to start out. I'd also look into their clones by WGS and Emminence. They are cheaper and sound terrific.
Ill be the one here that says dont buy a Bugera. Guys on UG will tell you that the reliability issues have been resolved a friend of mine bought a new Bugera 6262 and within a week the input something burnt out and had to be sent back to Bugera to be fixed. Just heard via Facebook tonight that the amp wont turn on now.

Not to mention all the problems my other friend has had with his Bugera 333xl. Damn good sounding amps but they've lost me on reliability.
-Gear-
Mesa Triple Rectifier---Bogner/Line6 SpiderValve---Orange PPC 4x12

-Pedalboard/Rackmount-
Alesis MidiVerb4--BBE SonicMaximizer 442--Ibanez TS9
Boss DD-3--Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

-Guitars-
Ibanez ART-100
Ibanez S-470
Tubescreamers to distortion pedals is hardly everything.

Have you tried an EQ pedal? Boost the bass, cut the mids slightly and boost treble.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
a MXR 10 band eq saved my valve king's life.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
get a used crate stealth if you can find one. old school metal tone. $300
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness