Hi everybody, i'm having some issues with my DAW. I just started using Cubase 4 and it tends to be unstable when i try to use vst's. I've tried everything that I could possibly think of to free up RAM and my processor but it still crashes when I try to use more than one at a time. I decided to re-install Cubase Le 4 bc i used to be able to run 6-7 at a time but I can't get it to work properly either.

The only thing I can think of is to try a new DAW that doesn't use a lot of processor speed. I have a 1.8 ghz processor and 2 gb RAM on windows xp sp3. Any suggestions for a new DAW? I'd appreciate any suggestions that could help fix my problem other than getting a new DAW as well.

Thanks in advance for any help!
You're going to have a hard time with that PC no matter what DAW you use. The more VST plugins you have running, the more resources you have being eaten up.

Honestly, you need an upgrade more than a different DAW
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Sadly, audacity is your best bet.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

I'm running the same software on a Dell quad-core with 4Gb of RAM. No issues here at all - and I frequently run it with other apps running in the background.

Make sure your operating system is up-to-date with the latest service packs and updates. Make sure your drivers are up-to-date. If that doesn't solve it, you might try adding more RAM, if feesible.
Quote by TheBigProjekt
Sadly, audacity is your best bet.

F##k audacity

Quote by lockwolf
You're going to have a hard time with that PC no matter what DAW you use. The more VST plugins you have running, the more resources you have being eaten up.

Honestly, you need an upgrade more than a different DAW

That's the thing. I never had issues before. I've been using cubase le for years now and if i had more than 6-7 vst's going it would crash but it would always work with at least 5 going with no problem.
If it ran fine before and now you're having problems, then I would look at the following:

Defragment hard drive
Do you have A/V software running?
Have you installed anything recently?

I'm sure there's more questions, but this should give you something to start on.
Quote by KG6_Steven
If it ran fine before and now you're having problems, then I would look at the following:

Defragment hard drive
Do you have A/V software running?
Have you installed anything recently?

I'm sure there's more questions, but this should give you something to start on.

i use end it all to end all of my programs before i start recording so no A/V software running. haven't installed anything recently. i tried to defrag and it said that it didn't need it so it didn't do it
Reaper or EnergyXT. EnergyXT runs good on older hardware

http://www.energy-xt.com/
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at May 26, 2010,
When was the last time you reformatted the computer?
Windows PCs start slowing down after a few years which is why I reformat yearly.
I also like the fact that you can swap parts though the years on desktops to keep things running smoothly.
Defrag on computers these days is generally useless. You may have a hard drive starting to fail though and a product called Spinrite ($90) will scan the drives and offline all the bad sectors....although for the same price you could get a 1TB new HDD....lol

Anyways, the issue seems to be just with the new software so here are a few suggestions on what to look into:

Look into Cakewalk Sonar products. I like the layout of the program and can run quite a bit of VSTs at a time without issue. I also like Reaper for a really limited budget but still, it can't compete with the high end sequencers out there IMO.
Last edited by moody07747 at May 27, 2010,
Quote by moody07747
When was the last time you reformatted the computer?
Windows PCs start slowing down after a few years which is why I reformat yearly.
I also like the fact that you can swap parts though the years on desktops to keep things running smoothly.
Defrag on computers these days is generally useless. You may have a hard drive starting to fail though and a product called Spinrite ($90) will scan the drives and offline all the bad sectors....although for the same price you could get a 1TB new HDD....lol

Anyways, the issue seems to be just with the new software so here are a few suggestions on what to look into:

Look into Cakewalk Sonar products. I like the layout of the program and can run quite a bit of VSTs at a time without issue. I also like Reaper for a really limited budget but still, it can't compete with the high end sequencers out there IMO.

I actually just reformatted from vista to xp about a month ago. i've heard a lot about cakewalk and reaper but have no experience with them. a friend of mine told me earlier today that if i could get an external hard drive and install all of my programs onto it that it would help speed up my computer as well. any truth to that? my problem seems to be more of a processor issue than a RAM issue so i wasn't sure if that would help.
Quote by vjferrara
a friend of mine told me earlier today that if i could get an external hard drive and install all of my programs onto it that it would help speed up my computer as well. any truth to that?

No. An external HD connected via a USB will be slower than an internal HD. I have noticed new PCs coming with external SATA ports. These ports would probably give you the same performance.
I have 4 External Firewire drives on my Mac G5 - one is my system clone which I boot to if need be - even FW isn't as fast as SATA - it has to go through the BUS which effectively slows stuff down - I'm sure all external drives wouldn't be as fast as an internal. I have a 1-terrabyte drive (USB 2.0) on my laptop I'm on now and it's nowhere as fast either.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at May 27, 2010,
so i'm pretty much stuck with what i have until i can get a new computer? well that's going to be a while. i'm going to try some other things and try energy xt and cakewalk for the moment and see if that helps at all. thanks for all of the suggestions guys and if you can think of anything else don't be shy! i'm working on a song now and if i find a program that works and doesn't cause me to kill myself over its instability then i dedicate it to all of you... if i do find a solution i should have a rough draft done by next friday bc i'm finishing guitars this week and doing drums on monday. thanks again everyone