Ok so I'm mapping out my custom guitar, and I need a great bridge pickup. I have hated bridge pickups for as long as I can remember. They are either too shrill, too muddy, or even both in some bad cases. I need a bridge pickup that sounds very punchy (key word PUNCHY) and very full without being muddy. Despite the music being played strictly on the bridge pickups, all kinds of instrumental/prog rock and some metal, I'm actually leaning towards a beefed up tele pickup of some kind, like a Pre B-1. They've always been very powerful sounding, but a little too shrill. I was also looking at an Evo 2, but that sounds way too Steve Vai-ish. So recommend me some punchy pickups, humbucker or single coil!

EDIT: It's going to be a Korina neck-through and a Swamp Ash body
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Last edited by bingeandletgo at May 26, 2010,
If you go to SD's website you can enter all your specs, i.e. style, wood, etc, and they'll give you a list of suggestions.

Definitely check out SD's though
IT'S JEFF

Fender MIM Fat Strat, HSS
Peavey Envoy 110
Quote by psyguitarist
Seymour Duncan Invader, SD Dimebucker.. shall I continue?

Those are the worst SD's you could possibly choose, but +1 to the guy who said bareknuckles. A Holydiver would fit what you want incredibly.

From the Website:
Quote by Bareknuckle
"The Holydiver humbucker uses an Alnico V magnet for defined, powerful attack and classic hot rock tone. Individually scatterwound coils produce a fat midrange capable of grinding overdrive whilst retaining transparent highs and a punchy clean tone, ideal for both technically and tonally demanding players."
-Nigel Tufnel on Joe Satriani-

"I look at it, his fingers move, and i say yeah...yeah; but where are they going?"
Last edited by JohnSpiers71 at May 26, 2010,
Quote by psyguitarist

I heard those were the ones to absolutely avoid...
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by psyguitarist

These are probably two pickups you should actually stay away from
Why avoid those? Has anyone of you actually dropped a pickup in a guitar yourself?
Schecter C-1+
Crestwood Strat Copy (Modded Single Humbucker)
OLP MM2
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ampeg B25B
Ampeg SVT 15e
RCG Doubleneck #1
Quote by psyguitarist
Why avoid those? Has anyone of you actually dropped a pickup in a guitar yourself?
I have. Well, my friends have, which I installed for them and which I've given a fair old road testing. They're both shit, unresponsive, muddy crap. End of.

Anyway. Korina (Limba) neck-through with Swamp Ash wings is an odd mix. Swamp Ash tends to accentuate bass and treble with average mids (no real ''punch'') while Korina (which will dominate the tone since it is neck-through) has good mid presence but soft bass and nearly non-existent treble. Of course it would really help to know what wood the fretboard will be too, what the bridge style is, what the other electronics and hardware will be, etc. But going just off the neck and body woods for now... yeah, that's an odd mix. The mids-heavy Korina is going to dominate, but the Swamp Ash will mute it a little bit and even it out - you're basically going to have a guitar that sounds like Basswood. I would really reconsider those wood choices if I were you.

Anyhoo, for a very ''punchy'' tone with a mostly-balanced-but-slightly-mids-heavy guitar like that, I would go for something Alnico V to VIII based (ceramics won't carry the strong middle frequencies well enough and Alnico IV and lower will sound too soft) with medium-overwound coils. SD Alternative 8, active pickups with Alnico magnets, Hot Rails, etc. Maybe a JB with one 500k pot, one 250k pot and a 0.033uf cap on the tone control. Some form of lightly overwound or stacked P-90 might also do the trick. I would stay away from Fender-style single coil pickups, especially Telecaster pickups, as they tend to be very trebela dn bass-intensive with little mid presence, quite the opposite of 'punchy''.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by psyguitarist

No, you should stop.

With the Ash body a Dimarzio Breed would be a pretty good shout for the bridge.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you want punchy, get yourself a decent compressor instead of looking at pickups.
Quote by MrFlibble
Anyway. Korina (Limba) neck-through with Swamp Ash wings is an odd mix. Swamp Ash tends to accentuate bass and treble with average mids (no real ''punch'') while Korina (which will dominate the tone since it is neck-through) has good mid presence but soft bass and nearly non-existent treble. Of course it would really help to know what wood the fretboard will be too, what the bridge style is, what the other electronics and hardware will be, etc. But going just off the neck and body woods for now... yeah, that's an odd mix. The mids-heavy Korina is going to dominate, but the Swamp Ash will mute it a little bit and even it out - you're basically going to have a guitar that sounds like Basswood. I would really reconsider those wood choices if I were you..

Aw now I'm bummed out. I was hoping to have a Korina-sounding guitar with a little more bite and definition. I guess thats where my logic falls out
Maybe you could recommend some woods for that type of sound?
Quote by blackflag49

Dimarzio D-sonic is unbelievably punchy. Mid-heavy ceramic pickup=lots o' power and punchy. A bit compressed and somewhat boxy though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have a dimebucker in my n.j. assassin it was in there when i bought it...it isnt muddy at all if anything a little too bright. I really dig it on my cleans...i know wierd.
Sounds like the wood you want is just Korina, combined with a pickup that will accent the high end. I think if you get something basic like a PAF and also a good comp pedal you will have all the 'punch' you'll ever need.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Motor City Pickups - Afwayu
Guitarforce - Rebelfire, Black Diamond, Rock Driver
Dimarzio - Breed
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by bingeandletgo
Aw now I'm bummed out. I was hoping to have a Korina-sounding guitar with a little more bite and definition. I guess thats where my logic falls out
Maybe you could recommend some woods for that type of sound?
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Sounds like the wood you want is just Korina, combined with a pickup that will accent the high end.
There's your answer, pretty much. A Korina neck and body will have all the 'punch' you need, at least it will if you get decent quality Korina - lower grade can get a bit muddy, but if it's any kind of custom job you're getting then you should get high-quality wood anyway, no custom builder would use the cheap stuff. Add in a bright pickup with good clarity - something like a SD Jazz model or similar - and you'd be set. That or a thick (i.e. LP/PRS thickness) all-Korina body with a maple/ebony bolt-on neck will also do the trick regardless of pickups.

Quote by oneblackened
Mid-heavy ceramic
Oxymoron.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^not true, actually (at least from my observation). I've noticed that the ceramic pickups I have are much more mid-heavy than the alnico ones I have which sound somewhat scooped.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.