So I'm trying to get a good metal tone out of my VK head. What are some good pedals that will give me more gain, and also increase clarity? I've been thinking about getting A MXR 10-band EQ, and A maxon 808 OD. Would this be enough for me to get a good metal tone? And if I get these, will I need a noisegate? Thanks in advance.
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Unless there's a noisegate built into the amp, I'd say that a noisegate is a worthy investment. Boss makes a good one for cheap, I use it. So nice not to hear the squeals and harsh feedback.
Get rid of the VK cab. Get a Mesa or an Avatar instead. The VK cab has horrible speakers stock.

The Maxon is a good choice, especially if you play with scooped mids and need it as a solo boost.

A noise gate isn't entirely necessary. For what you spend on a noise gate, you could get better tubes for the VK.

Instead of the ten band, go for a used rack mount EQ. You can get a 15-band EQ from eBay for less than 50 bucks alot of the time.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The Maxon OD808 and MXR 10-band EQ would be a massive improvement. And yes, I would suggest you get a noisegate, I use the ISP Decimator G-String, and it is excellent. It is slightly more expensive than the Boss, although the ISP doesn't suck your tone at all, unlike the Boss NS-2.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
I'm not sure why people suggest noisegates right off the bat. They aren't always necessary, and should be a last resort for feedback issues. More importantly, TS hasn't complained of feedback issues. If you DO end up needing a noisegate, the ISP decimator is the way to go.

An OD is a great choice for tightening the amp up. Run it at full volume with gain set to zero. Another good option is the Ibanez TS-9, and if your on a budget, a digitech bad monkey.

An EQ pedal will help you refine the tone you have on the valveking. If your having trouble dialing in a good tone, or want to have a footswitchable alternate town, the MXR 6 or 10 band are good options. You can also get rack 15-31 band EQ for pretty cheap, but just remember that more bands isn't always a good thing. I've seen a lot of people try to over EQ without really knowing what their doing, and their tone suffers. I generally use my 10 band to make very minimal changes to what I've already dialed in to the amp. If you have a developed ear, and can use the extra bands, fine. Otherwise, the 6 band is fine.
Quote by denied
I'm not sure why people suggest noisegates right off the bat. They aren't always necessary, and should be a last resort for feedback issues. More importantly, TS hasn't complained of feedback issues. If you DO end up needing a noisegate, the ISP decimator is the way to go.

An OD is a great choice for tightening the amp up. Run it at full volume with gain set to zero. Another good option is the Ibanez TS-9, and if your on a budget, a digitech bad monkey.

An EQ pedal will help you refine the tone you have on the valveking. If your having trouble dialing in a good tone, or want to have a footswitchable alternate town, the MXR 6 or 10 band are good options. You can also get rack 15-31 band EQ for pretty cheap, but just remember that more bands isn't always a good thing. I've seen a lot of people try to over EQ without really knowing what their doing, and their tone suffers. I generally use my 10 band to make very minimal changes to what I've already dialed in to the amp. If you have a developed ear, and can use the extra bands, fine. Otherwise, the 6 band is fine.

In your opinion, what is the best OD pedal for metal? Moneys not really a factor.
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
You know, I've never really needed a boost, I've always tried to get an amp distortion that I'm happy with. The maxon should be fine, I would also look at the Ibanez ts 808

Are you looking for an OD to boost your valveking, or a distort to replace your valveking drive completely?

Edit: I do agree with dylan though, I would upgrade that cab sometime in the future. That alone won't get you the tone your looking for, so fix that first. But swapping out the speakers or entire cab will really help open your amp up.
Last edited by denied at May 26, 2010,
Quote by denied
You know, I've never really needed a boost, I've always tried to get an amp distortion that I'm happy with. The maxon should be fine, I would also look at the Ibanez ts 808

Are you looking for an OD to boost your valveking, or a distort to replace your valveking drive completely?

Edit: I do agree with dylan though, I would upgrade that cab sometime in the future. That alone won't get you the tone your looking for, so fix that first. But swapping out the speakers or entire cab will really help open your amp up.

Well i really just want an OD to give me that extra little punch. I need more chug out of my amp. And I'm looking at buying a 2X12 avatar cab soon.
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Quote by denied
Yeah, check out both versions of the 808 and the TS9 for sure, but also wait on some suggestions from people who do more boositng. Have you posted in the pedalboard thread? Theres some super knowledgeable people in there as well.

Alot of people are telling me to try the bad Monkey. They said it will give me more gain? I may try this out since its only 50 bucks, and then next week, ill buy an avatar cab and rack EQ maybe.
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
For the gain structure of the VK, I'd recommend getting a Wampler Triple Wreck instead. As it is, the VK isn't really great for high gain stuff, boosting it doesn't improve its tonal disposition much.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
For the gain structure of the VK, I'd recommend getting a Wampler Triple Wreck instead. As it is, the VK isn't really great for high gain stuff, boosting it doesn't improve its tonal disposition much.

I actually used one for a while and didn't like it that much. I just used my friends Bad Monkey, and I think it gives a perfect little extra chugg.
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Do you think I should get just the EQ for now and see if that does the trick? Or should I get both an OD, and the EQ?
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Ahh fair enough.

you should just get the OD first, see how that changes your tone, then only get the EQ if you want to tweak certain frequencies. Otherwise, just use the EQ settings on your amp. For all you know that will be more than sufficient.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Ahh fair enough.

you should just get the OD first, see how that changes your tone, then only get the EQ if you want to tweak certain frequencies. Otherwise, just use the EQ settings on your amp. For all you know that will be more than sufficient.

i have a Digitech RP500 right now, and it has a ton of OD pedals built in. Do these sound anything like the real deal, or should I sell the RP and get seeperate pedals?
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Quote by TheFireWithinPA
i have a Digitech RP500 right now, and it has a ton of OD pedals built in. Do these sound anything like the real deal, or should I sell the RP and get seeperate pedals?

I find that multiFX don't seem to have that push... it just sounds processed. Personally I'd just sell the multiFX and buy individual pedals.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Raijouta
Instead of the ten band, go for a used rack mount EQ. You can get a 15-band EQ from eBay for less than 50 bucks alot of the time.

Most people don't even need all of the frequencies of a 10-band, let alone a 15-band.

Quote by Mopy
...although the ISP doesn't suck your tone at all, unlike the Boss NS-2.

Get off the bandwagon already. Although every piece of gear works differently with everyone's rigs, generally its found that the NS-2 is NOT the tone sucking monster that the UG bandwagoners claim it to be.

Quote by ragingkitty

Big +1

The VK is a mid-gain amp that is best suited for rock based music. It has a tendency to be pretty muddy and can lack dynamics and sound a bit lifeless. Adding an EQ definitely improves the tone, though.

To get a VK to sound decent you generally need to add an EQ, swap the speaker(s), and add an OD if you're looking to get a bit more oomph out of it - by the time you buy all of those things you could have just had a better amp right off the bat.
As for OD's, the Bad Monkey is very good for the price. My personal fave though is the Maxon OD808, I'll be buying one ASAP. My friend has one and it turns my 5150 from "brutal" to "OMFG Br00TaL".
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
VK's osund great with a mxr wylde overdrive in front and a mxr 10 band eq in the effects loop
but if you do that you will need a noise gate as the wylde od is very noisy compared to somehting like a ts9
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.