Haven't learned much for scales, the only one i remember well is the minor pentatonic. Just wondering if one scale would be ok for improv solo's. Like an A minor pentatonic, to a D minor (just throwing chords out, sorry).
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
As long as it is in the same key as the song, I'll give you a simple one. For example, say you're playing a simple bluesy chord progression, starting on A, going to D, then to E, and back to A, you can solo in A minor pentatonic scale. Honestly, I don't know that many scales, either, and yet I get away with soloing in minor pentatonic. To me, it's all about whatever sounds good, and if it's simple, yet sounds really good to the ears, then that's all that matters.
Well, maybe not for a song, but even just messing around by myself.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Minor pentatonic is fine for most classic rock style stuff, bluesy rock progressions, that kind of thing. I recommend at the very least learning Aeolian as well, if you already know minor pentatonic then it'll be simple.
Quote by BusterSword
forget about scales...just play some melody that flows with the feeling of the song and with the chords underneath.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5777562536751428345#

but you will most likely end up in a scale whether you are aware of it or not, as most people will gravitate towards the notes that sound less disonant (read: notes within a coresponding scale.)

i agree, follow the chords. but also know that you can't just forget about scales.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Well said. Changing keys and scales in the middle of a solo isn't really necessary. It does sound cooler, but you can make wicked cool licks without changing keys.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Go for it. Pentatonic usually sounds better (to me at least) than all the other scales I use or hear, unless the chord progression and scale interact in a really funky way that I like.

I like the soul-ful kind of triumphant vibe a pentatonic scale can bring. Something I really need to feel in my life, apparently
You could just about get away with is, as long as you can persuade your band/backing tracks to stay in one key.

Overall, it's probably best to learn the common scales (major, minor, pentatonics, blues and anything else that catches your fancy) in all the common keys (you can get away without the Lydian mode in Gsharp unless you're into jazz)
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158
If you look at the solo for Living Loving Maid it is all in one key and one position of the minor pentatonic scale
stop being lazy and learn your theory, it'll massively improve the way you play and improvise.

Don't listen to all these people saying "you don't need theory, man, of course you can improvise knowing only one scale"

And of course you can, but it doesn't mean it'll benefit you in the long run.
Quote by AWACS
Haven't learned much for scales, the only one i remember well is the minor pentatonic. Just wondering if one scale would be ok for improv solo's. Like an A minor pentatonic, to a D minor (just throwing chords out, sorry).

Most solos are in one scale however the scale you use needs to fit with the chords you're playing over - to do that you need to know what key they fit into, that in turn will tell you what scales you can use.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah, just don't shred all over the scale in the first 10 secs, you should be fine =)
keep to the key's pentatnic and for now you should be ok