On my Strat, using the neck pickup, while tremolo picking the high E and B strings from the 3rd fret - 12th, there is a very noticeable extra sound coming through. Not a bad one though. It's as if I am using a harmonizer, or there is a second guitar playing some interval above me. It only happens on those strings and frets, and only with the neck pickup. Could it be just some natural harmonics showing through along with the purposefully played notes, or is it probably something else? I play only through my amp, a Fender FM65R, so its not because of any pedals or wierd connections. Like I said, I like the sound, but could anyone explain what is the cause of it?
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Sounds like the length of string between your fretting hand and the nut is vibrating whenever you pick the string. Or you are striking extra strings?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Guitars and wood all have resonating qualities. Extremely nice guitar custom shops will actually match woods based upon their musical qualities, including their 'natural note' (for lack of a better term) such as the same note, 3rds or 5ths usually. Every piece of matter actually has a resonance associated with it. I know how weird this sounds, but it's true. I know at church our music stand, when sitting on the stage, makes a whistling noise when I play any high D.

Kinda creepy but awesome at the same time. A really good example of using this for benefit is Slash. He bends those certain frets which frequencies make that extra sound. I can't name the song, but listen for the solos and you will hear it. It one of the popular ones. Probably Sweet Child.

But yeah, long answer. Lol Sorry. Spread the news! It makes you sound smart.
Certain effects on my PodXt amplify that sound and I've always wondered about it myself. I played around with it one time and the intervals were very inconsistent with a lot of bad sounding harmonies.

I'd be interested to hear a scientific explanation.
alright thanks a lot for your theory/explanation. cool ideas
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.