SO! I got a Fender Stratocaster and i going to switch out the pick guard and place some new pickups. I want to have a humbucker-single coil-humbucker style pickups and i was wondering...

1.) I play a lot of metal/metalcore/trash style of music and i want to know what would be some pickups that would be good for that.

And 2.) Would there be wiring problems if for example i wanted to combine two different brands, like EMG's with Seymour Duncan's. (I don't have a lot of knowledge with with combining passive with active, etc. etc.)

Thanks and much appreciated.
Having active and passive is either impossible or really confusing. I highly doubt its impossible. Nothing google can't answer.

But I love humbuckers that are heavy and loud as crap in the bridge, still strong but clean neck pickups, and a single in the middle that has a ton of single coil twang and bell. Its the only way to cover all the musical bases.

Have you ever thought about splittable pickups? You could have a single coil and humbucker in every humbucker position. Seymour is known for that very well. I highly recommend that as your safe option. And still get the single in the middle so you have both a Strat setup (s-s-s) and a les paul (h-x-h) and all the experimental options inbetween.

Better yet, wire it like the PRS 513, where you can have literally every combo of pickups. It has two switches. Lol Just watch the demo videos. It's seriously unbelievable how a guitar wired like that can do everything. Thats my plan with a les paul body atm.
would a humbucker fit in the neck because most strats are routed for singe coil in the neck

and to combine passive and actives youd might have to do some fancy wiring
Quote by ASJerrell
Having active and passive is either impossible or really confusing. I highly doubt its impossible. Nothing google can't answer.

Actually i thought it would be simple if i combine passive with passive or active with active but yeah haha

Quote by ASJerrell
Have you ever thought about splittable pickups? You could have a single coil and humbucker in every humbucker position. Seymour is known for that very well. I highly recommend that as your safe option. And still get the single in the middle so you have both a Strat setup (s-s-s) and a les paul (h-x-h) and all the experimental options inbetween.

Better yet, wire it like the PRS 513, where you can have literally every combo of pickups. It has two switches. Lol Just watch the demo videos. It's seriously unbelievable how a guitar wired like that can do everything. Thats my plan with a les paul body atm.

Haha i didn't think about that. You got some links to the wiring or pickups themselves?
Quote by supersac
would a humbucker fit in the neck because most strats are routed for singe coil in the neck

and to combine passive and actives youd might have to do some fancy wiring

That's why i'm switching out my pickguard too. I've seen it done so it's not impossible.
Combining active and passive pickups in one guitar isn't impossible, but it's a complete pain in the ass, and not worth the effort.

You need to have two separate, independent circuits to do it, because actives are incompatible with passive parts. As well, you can't mix active and passive (like blending between both) because actives have a different impedance. Therefore, you can't have actives and passive pickups wired to the same output because of impedance issues.

In short, just get either full active or full passive.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Bridge: DiMarzio D Activator
Middle: SDS-1
Neck: Air Zone
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I have always wanted to try those Duncan P-Rails. A P90 and a Rail packaged into and run as one humbucker but also switchable. I am REAL close to buying one for my old Ibanez Blazer which has 2 SC's together at the bridge, a SC middle and humbucker at the neck - and heaps of switches.
Maybe not exactly the sort of thing the TS is looking for but mighty tempting, especially if you want to do lots with one guitar. Anybody tried them?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I have always wanted to try those Duncan P-Rails. A P90 and a Rail packaged into and run as one humbucker but also switchable. I am REAL close to buying one for my old Ibanez Blazer which has 2 SC's together at the bridge, a SC middle and humbucker at the neck - and heaps of switches.
Maybe not exactly the sort of thing the TS is looking for but mighty tempting, especially if you want to do lots with one guitar. Anybody tried them?

Acoustic Mirror has a set in his PRS.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Bridge - Seymour Duncan Full Shred SH-10b 7-String Electric Guitar Bridge Humbucker Pickup
Middle - DiMarzio DP420 Virtual Solo Bridge Hum Cancelling Strat Pickup
Neck - DiMarzio DP227 LiquiFire Neck Humbucker

Yay or Nay?