Ok so I already have a Roland cube 20X amp and I'm thinking of going and getting a Peavey Vypyr 30 this weekend, I just want to know if it will be much of an upgrade or if it's entirely an opinion thing. Not that I'm dissapointed in the Cube but it doesn't have many features now that I've been playing for over a year and want to get into it more and possibly play some gigs and the Cube just wouldn't have the power to do that I think. So question is, should I get the Vypyr or stick with the cube for now?? Thanks in advance.
do you want the effects?

also a vypyr 30 is possibly not even noticeably louder than your cube.
Quote by gregs1020
do you want the effects?

also a vypyr 30 is possibly not even noticeably louder than your cube.

Yeah the effects would be a good addition, I heard it comes with the foot switch to. Really, it wouldn't be much louder? I know it's only 10 watts the difference but I was reading some reviews about the vypyr and they say it goes pretty dame loud, I've had the cube at it's highest volume before and it really isn't that loud to be honest.
Perhaps your idea of pretty damn loud is different to the reviewers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah thats possible, we all have our own opinionsm, I guess I should wait it out and get a 75 watt one or a stack instead.
Quote by Cathbard
Perhaps your idea of pretty damn loud is different to the reviewers.

this

Seriously i don't even listen to people anymore when they say their amp "is really loud". I don't think i've heard an amp described as quiet except referring to low wattage valve amps, but thats just the same deal only the opposite.
IMO, I'd stick with the cube, save up some more money, and make a bigger upgrade in the future. Otherwise you'll just slowly climb up the amp ladder one tiny upgrade at a time. Probably better to make giant leaps than little steps when it comes to spending your dough.

Plus, with a bit more time you'll be a better player, will know more about what you want from an amp, and will know more about how to get what you want.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
Quote by finetune
IMO, I'd stick with the cube, save up some more money, and make a bigger upgrade in the future. Otherwise you'll just slowly climb up the amp ladder one tiny upgrade at a time. Probably better to make giant leaps than little steps when it comes to spending your dough.

Plus, with a bit more time you'll be a better player, will know more about what you want from an amp, and will know more about how to get what you want.
This
Quote by dyl24
Yeah the effects would be a good addition, I heard it comes with the foot switch to. Really, it wouldn't be much louder? I know it's only 10 watts the difference but I was reading some reviews about the vypyr and they say it goes pretty dame loud, I've had the cube at it's highest volume before and it really isn't that loud to be honest.

Watts =/= volume

An amps volume is primarily based on its circuitry. This is why you can have two different amps that are rated the same watts and 99 times out of 100 one of them will be louder than the other.

Watts = power

The higher an amps watts rating, the louder of a signal it can produce before it reaches clipping stages.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Watts =/= volume

An amps volume is primarily based on its circuitry. This is why you can have two different amps that are rated the same watts and 99 times out of 100 one of them will be louder than the other.

Watts = power

The higher an amps watts rating, the louder of a signal it can produce before it reaches clipping stages.

this is trueeee
I personally think you shoul dnot get the vypyr, I never really enjoyed the way all the sounds and effeects sounded. I played the vypyr 120 a lot and was not satisfied. i suggest looking for other amps. just my opinion tho. what are you looking for? and what are you willing to spend. and what do you need exactly
Cheers for all the appropriate answers guys. Appreciate it.
in response to Katsock: I'm just really looking for an amp that has a bit more grunt behind it than the cube, I'm not really looking for anything huge at the moment. I also want to give my cube away to my cousin so we can jam cause his amp he has now is really shocking, it's one of those amps you get from a begginer pack with the guitar and the amp together. I'd probably be willing to spend around $450 or so.
Are you looking for gigging gear or just playing gear? you can get good cabs and heads or combos for that. And dude, shop used. you can find so muc gear in perfect condition thats used, and so cheap. What kind of music do you play? and what kind of geardo you already have, and sorry if im asking you to repeat anything you already sai