Hey everyone,

I have been playing guitar for around five years or so and have a technique concern. I am learning some Zeppelin, Clapton, Hendrix, and Floyd at the moment an just do not understand what I am doing wrong. The issue is dealing with string bending that is included in fast licks. Take for example this part in "Comfortably Numb"

--------------------7---------------|------------------------------------|
------------------7---10h7----------|------------------------------------|
--7-7-7~----x-9b----------9-9r-7|--9-7b------------------------------|
---------------------------------9-|------9h7---------------------7-7-7~|
------------------------------------|----------9-7-5-7h5---5~-7--9-------|
------------------------------------|--------------------7---------------|

The part that always messes me up is the bend at the E on the G string and following notes. This happens to me with anything that is played at a relatively moderate/fast speed. I would say the fastest pace I can go successfully is the solo to "Stairway To Heaven." Any tips on building a quicker technique that involves string bending during lead parts? Thanks for the help!
Practice bending in general and practice the piece that conains the specific bends you're struggling with.

Practice, as always, means play is slowly until it's perfect then gradually work on increasing the speed at which you can play it perfectly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yes, the problem is I cannot seem to bend to pitch and back quick enough for the lick. I always use 2-3 fingers. In the case of "Comfortably Numb" I either use middle and ring or index and ring.

To seagull: I will play slow and gradually get faster. Were there any exercises or songs that maybe helped you out? Or should I just play things such as this up to speed?
Last edited by Ampersand87 at May 27, 2010,
I spent ages simply practicing bend....choose a target note, play it, then practice bending up to it, rinse and repeat with various notes and bend distances and speeds. I concentrated mainly on half and full step bends at first because those are arguably the most common ones.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Ampersand87
Yes, the problem is I cannot seem to bend to pitch and back quick enough for the lick. I always use 2-3 fingers. In the case of "Comfortably Numb" I either use middle and ring or index and ring.

On that lick in Comfortably Numb at least you don't need to release the bend as part of the lick, the key is actually muting the string and playing the rest of the lick WHILE you release the now muted bend.

It's definitely something worth practicing, that lick comes up so often it's unreal.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.