Hey. Long time reader first time poster... Need a bit of help.

Had my electric guitar in storage (downstairs in a hardshell case) for about 5 years and I'm going to start using it again.

Besides the obvious (string change, spring replacement, intonation/truss bar adjustments) what else should I do?

Maybe just buff the body with a polish, tighten tuning heads and clean pickups? Best way to clean the pickups?

Thank you!

Edit: Is it recommended not to remove all the strings at once? I am sure it is because of the tension on the neck, but I want to remove my bridge to clean and also clean/polish my fretboard. Or do you do this removing one string at a time?
Last edited by craigosaurus at May 26, 2010,
you're fine to take all the strings off at once if it's just to clean it

i wouldn't recommend leaving all the strings off for a really long time without loosening the truss rod a bit though

the rest of your clean up plan sounds fine to me. maybe oil the fretboard if its rosewood?
whipe the whole thing down, if rosewood get the appropriate baord conditioner, change strings, leave everything be unless something is needed (ie- action goes bad, then adjust truss). for now i would just assume it is as you left it.

same with the springs. dont just go changing stuff, cause you will never know what is wrong.
Quote by ikey_
whipe the whole thing down, if rosewood get the appropriate baord conditioner, change strings, leave everything be unless something is needed (ie- action goes bad, then adjust truss). for now i would just assume it is as you left it.

same with the springs. dont just go changing stuff, cause you will never know what is wrong.

Well the thing needed a setup and spring replacement before I stopped using it. It's probably 15 years old and I don't think it's ever had a setup so it's long overdue. Thanks guys I will have fun with this!