Hey guys. I've been having problems with the pickup on my 2002 Musicman Sterling. It's not sounding like it's supposed to when i flip the 3-way switch. I've played other sterlings and mine just doesn't sound the same.

I don't really know what to do. Should I take it in to be looked at, or should i just get the pickup replaced altogether? If i get it replaced, what should i get?

Thanks
GEAR:
Musicman Sterling
Epiphone Flying V Bass
BC Rich Platinum Warlock Bass
Fender BG-31 MTB Acoustic/Electric Bass
Warwick Blue Cab 60 60W 1x12 Bass Combo Amp
it's very probably a wiring problem.

also, define: not sounding like it's supposed to.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I'm sorry, but i can't really define it clearly. I guess the best way to describe it is that when i flip the 3-way switch, all of the positions sound about the same and with a lot of noise. I wish i could make it clearer. It's just not the same as other sterlings I've played.
GEAR:
Musicman Sterling
Epiphone Flying V Bass
Last edited by L30 at May 26, 2010,
I'd still suggest that it's a wiring/electric problem and not a pickup problem, simply because if the pickup hasn't obviously been damaged, then there's not a lot that could've happened to it.
They're just basically a magnet wrapped in wire.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Also, the Ampeg BA-115 isn't exactly famous for being sensitive those subtle changes in your bass's tone, though I don't know if that would extend to the sterling switches or not.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Also, the Ampeg BA-115 isn't exactly famous for being sensitive those subtle changes in your bass's tone, though I don't know if that would extend to the sterling switches or not.

It doesn't. I've played the bass on several different amps, and I'm sure it has something to do with the pickup/wiring. Thanks anyway.
GEAR:
Musicman Sterling
Epiphone Flying V Bass