Ok so I have 2 guitars a fender mexican strat and a Dean MLX and im getting the chance to buy a new one in a few months but im having a really hard time deciding which one. My options are Dean from Hell,Gibson Les Paul studio or Gibson SG standard. I love and have played all of them but don't know which one to go with.(By the way i play metal,classic rock,ragge,punk,jazz blues and ragge if that helps)
Donnell McKnignt
Well they're all mahogany for one.

There are many things you must decide on, shape, diversity, colours, and quality.

Shape, that's entirely up to what you find comfortable.

Diversity, by this I mean mainly the TOM Gibson's vs. the Dean and it's Floyd. Not to mention, the Dean has different pickups from the Gibson's, a hot bridge pickup and nice cool neck pickup.

Colours, self explanatory. Up to you.

Quality. The Dean From Hell is Korean, and a lot of Korean guitars are made well. The Gibson's, (assuming you mean Gibson and not Epiphone), are made in the USA, with great quality. However, depending on what exact guitar you get (not model, the actual one you buy), there may be a leap in quality from phenomenal to crap. I've seen it happen. The Epiphone's are made in China, so that's a heavy quality gap already..

If it was up to me, I'd choose a Dean. And I dislike Dean a lot. It's all up to you in the end, I wont be playing whatever you get (thank god :lol.
Gear:

Early 90's B.C. Rich STIII N.J. Series, Red Sparkle
1988 Charvel Model 4, Firecrackle - Retired
2003-04s Ibanez RG1570 Prestige, Gray Nickel
Line 6 Spidervalve HD100 MK1 with Marshall VS412
les paul
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Well i like alot of diffrent styles of music so thats one of the reasons why i like 3 completly diffrent shapes the Gibsons have one of the best necks in the world to me because of the thickness although the deans neck is more slim color i dont really care about and i think with pedals and amp configuartions i can get any sound i want from any pickups the thing about the Les Paul is that it's a studio and for some reason they dont feel like a true Gibson more of a copy with the logo its like the pros and cons list is just 50/50
Donnell McKnignt
You play such a diverse array of music that I think one of the latter Gibsons would be more attuned t your music stylings. The reason... I've never played a Dean that could handle Blues clean and not sound like mud, and that includes a USA Dean from Hell, the model up from what you're looking at. I believe the LP studio has Burstbuckers in them, where the SG Standard has 490 R 498 T pickups. I personally like the SG configuration better (it's what's in my Firebird), but to each their own. Play them all side by side and decide which one suits you best, that's probably the best way to do it.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
What amp do you have?

EDIT: You have an MG10,

Get a new amp before you buy anymore guitars, you will find a bigger improvement in tone with a new amp than you will with a new guitar.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at May 27, 2010,
Quote by Tom 1.0
Get a new amp before you buy anymore guitars, you will find a bigger improvement in tone with a new amp than you will with a new guitar.

This.
-Epiphone G-400
-Ibanez WH10v2
-Vox AC4tv
-Vintage V300
no,

get it before you get a new guitar

you may find if you get a good amp, like a 2nd hand 6505 or other quality amp you may find your current guitars sound awesome and you wont want another...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
^ Listen to him, he speaks the truth. Didn't see the MG 10 amp, should have. Amp makes more of your tone than anything else, so new amp first, new guitar second.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Yea...you need a new amp...enough with the guitars for now.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Considering you already have 2 relatively good guitars you really need to listen to the guys and get an amp. It'll be well worth it, especially if you're just trying to burn money.
can;t believe you're comparing a dean to a les paul studio and sg standard. get one of the gibsons
Okay since just about everyone thinks i should get a new amp what amps do you recamend in the $300-$600 range? If i get a new amp i know i want a tube amp for sure because i cant stand some solid states amps like mine for example.
Donnell McKnignt
Quote by DonnellMcKnight
Okay since just about everyone thinks i should get a new amp what amps do you recamend in the $300-$600 range? If i get a new amp i know i want a tube amp for sure because i cant stand some solid states amps like mine for example.

Peavey ValveKing 112. Good amp, can do a lot of different styles, really great cleans. It can get you metal tones, without the balls to the walls face melting power of the 6505. If you want an even more workable amp than that, check out a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. Obviously, play both of them if you can. One might be better than the other for you, but they're both good.

Forget the guitar for now - in time to come, you will be so glad you got an amp. We know what we're talking about. An amp isn't nearly as exciting as a new guitar, but you'll understand why we suggested to get one after you've gotten it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I say get a Jet City 22w head and cab.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
I heard the Peavey's Vypyrs and Valve King tube amps and they are pretty darn good what do you think of the Bugera V55? or the Marshall MA50C? its a new series of amps from marshall and i heard they sucked.
Donnell McKnignt
Quote by DonnellMcKnight
I heard the Peavey's Vypyrs and Valve King tube amps and they are pretty darn good what do you think of the Bugera V55? or the Marshall MA50C? its a new series of amps from marshall and i heard they sucked.

Bugera's V55 is a hella dope sounding amp. I absolutely loved it when I played it at GC. Not sure what kind of music you play, but I can tell you even with a br00tal Boss pedal this amp won't do metal. If you like AC/DC, this is your amp.

One problem I've heard is that they don't last long though. It's a bit of a gamble.

Marshall MA's are not really much to write home about. Seems to be the trend with Marshalls these days, most <$1500 ones just suck.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
The Bugera tone is a little more on the Rock and Roll side what do you think of a used Marshall DSL 50 or 100watt amp?
Donnell McKnignt
Quote by DonnellMcKnight
The Bugera tone is a little more on the Rock and Roll side what do you think of a used Marshall DSL 50 or 100watt amp?

what genre? bands you like to listen to?
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Quote by handbanana
can;t believe you're comparing a dean to a les paul studio and sg standard. get one of the gibsons

Hooray for fanboys. >_> Either way, like the other guys say, I'd go for a new amp.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I listen to every genre litteraly every genre im into classical,rock,some rap,heavy metal,punk etc. But my favorite guitar tone is Randy Rhoad's tone.
Donnell McKnignt