Hi everyone, i am confused on this one, have a look:

One the 1st measure as you can see there is a bass D which will last for 3 beats only coz on the 2nd measure there will be a rest for the bass, my problem is, will i mute the string or just let it ring? if i were to mute it, what finger/hand will i use? i dont want to develop bad habits so im making sure i am doing the right thing,
Quote by Ross Alejandro
Hi everyone, i am confused on this one, have a look:

One the 1st measure as you can see there is a bass D which will last for 3 beats only coz on the 2nd measure there will be a rest for the bass, my problem is, will i mute the string or just let it ring? if i were to mute it, what finger/hand will i use? i dont want to develop bad habits so im making sure i am doing the right thing,

mute it with whichever hand or finger feels more comfortable. there are times where particular fingers or hand makes sense but in this sense as long as you mute the note and pluck the next note on the same beat then it is correct.
If you're following the music strictly, then you should probably mute the string. The easiest and most common method to do so is simply to rest your right-hand thumb against the string when the rest comes up.

hope that helps!
thanks fibaz and Deathmotron, now i can go back to my practice, im just trying to minimize my mistakes, really helpful guys, thanks again
Yeah, if there's a rest, mute the string. And I randomly feel like telling you...I like it when guitarists learn to read sheet music. It helps your musicianship soooooooooooooo much it's ridiculous. You can write down a melody ANY musician can read (flute, piano, synth, etc.) instead of tab.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by clayonfire
Yeah, if there's a rest, mute the string. And I randomly feel like telling you...I like it when guitarists learn to read sheet music. It helps your musicianship soooooooooooooo much it's ridiculous. You can write down a melody ANY musician can read (flute, piano, synth, etc.) instead of tab.

thanks for the info man, but i find it sooooo hard to learn to read sheet music, the fact that i am still learning guitar. im applying the same logic my piano teacher used teach me, the guitar is so much more difficult in my opinion hahaha. im just trying and trying to read notes, maybe one day ill find myself comfortable reading notes. thanks man.