I've just recently become a member of the seven string guild, purchased an LTD SC607B Natural Finish, (will post pics soon as i get my god damn camera back from the shop )

Im loving the sound from this bad boy, currently Im playing through a Line 6 Flextone II 60W Combo, which is pretty nice. But I want to by a new amp (has to be a combo for poratablility), to compliment this particular guitar.
I believe that especially with active PU's you can get very different sounds from different amps ( for example ive heard from a few people , that my sc607b will sound shite through a mesa, but i havent tried it) I also need a new amp, because ive pretty much given the flextone II to my brother and dont want leave him amp-less if i move out. I do like the flextone II, its an amazing amp for the price, so versatile and great sounds too, custom celestion 12" helps!!!! but i still feel its not quite at the all valve level of tone yet.

When I was last buying an amp it came down to the Flextone II and a TSL Marshall all valve combo. I ended up going the Flexitone as i got it for about 150 bucks cheaper and it is very versatile ( i didnt feel the need to go and buy five stomp boxes instantly, like i would with the marshall ). So now im looking for a combo again towards the top of the range, two models im considering are:

The new range of Line 6 spiders that now feature vavles (bogners? i think the vavles are, but could be way off , and i'd be looking at the 2X12" model)
or the Marshall TSL202 combo ( this is an all valve 2 X 12", with three channels ), they're ver similarly priced (around $2000 AUD).
I just cant decide again, the versitility of the line 6 or the unmatchable tone of an all valve marshall. ?

Has anyone out there played an EMG packing axe through one of the new line 6 valve amps??if so do you think inculding valves has helped line 6 to further close the tone gap between all valve and amp modelling solid state technologies???

Is there any other models / makes i should consider?, mesa is outta my price range , and i dont know much about peavey, but they seem to be a regualr choice of metal heads. Any ideas or opinions would be much appreciated!!!! However usefull or un-usefull !
" It's about how it sounds, not how it's played "

F@CK EVERYTHING

Why be sober when you can
Last edited by deftools at May 27, 2010,
So you have around $2000 to play with? If you want versatility, try a Mesa Mark IV. You can get them second hand for $2000, far better deal than $2000 for a new TSL (I've owned both and the Mark IV is infinitely better than the TSL) The Spider Valves are good, but still nowhere near a Mark IMO.
No way! This is the exact 7-string I'll be getting when I can afford it!
Let me know how it plays!

EDIT:

On topic:
My Epi Les Paul's got an EMG in the bridge and I play it through a Fender FM212r and it sounds great.
Mind you, I run it through effects as well. I've never actually ran it through just the amp.
Last edited by Disturbed_EMG at May 27, 2010,
For a 7-string, you are going to want something that has some serious low end. You want that B-string to sound out, right? AU$2,000.00 is about US$1,700.00, so the Marshall is a good choice. The Mesas are too; particularly the MK IV, but I don't know how often they are available in your neck of the woods.

Carvin's V3 is particularly good with 7-strings, as it has been accused of having an "overachieving" bass response. Every one I've ever heard or played sounded fantastic; particularly when loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s. I don't know what it would cost to have Carvin ship one to Australia.

With active pickups, I would stick to an all-valve amplifier.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
5150s and Rectos handle 7 Strings well. As does the Line 6 Vetta.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by FatalGear41
For a 7-string, you are going to want something that has some serious low end. You want that B-string to sound out, right? AU$2,000.00 is about US$1,700.00, so the Marshall is a good choice. The Mesas are too; particularly the MK IV, but I don't know how often they are available in your neck of the woods.

Carvin's V3 is particularly good with 7-strings, as it has been accused of having an "overachieving" bass response. Every one I've ever heard or played sounded fantastic; particularly when loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s. I don't know what it would cost to have Carvin ship one to Australia.

With active pickups, I would stick to an all-valve amplifier.

Thanks FatalGear! i forgot all about Carvin Amps, i had a look and i can get their V3 2 X 12" all vavle 100 watter, with foot pedal and celstion vintage 30s for about $2250 AUD. Only problem is all the distirbuters in australia are at least 1000kms from me, so F@ck knows how im gonna play one and i dont think i would spend over 2000 bucks on gear without trying it first !!!! decisions decisions !!! i played a TSL last night with my LTD for the first time and im starting to feel that marshall are a fair behind mesa and a few of their botique competitors in the balls department.

F@CK EVERYTHING

Quote by littlephil
So you have around $2000 to play with? If you want versatility, try a Mesa Mark IV. You can get them second hand for $2000, far better deal than $2000 for a new TSL (I've owned both and the Mark IV is infinitely better than the TSL) The Spider Valves are good, but still nowhere near a Mark IMO.

Thanks littlephil, so if themark iv was out of the question, would u be leaning towards the TSL or the Spider Valve series??? im curious as you played a TSL, ive played a couple in shops and i never been blown away, by the sound , great tone but i feel that a TSL combo may not be able to produce the balls i require for the music i want to play, they seem to lack a lot of bottom end compared to a TSL 1/2 or full stack.

F@CK EVERYTHING

The Peavey 3120 is great for 7 string and down tuned playing IMO.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by deftools
Thanks littlephil, so if themark iv was out of the question, would u be leaning towards the TSL or the Spider Valve series??? im curious as you played a TSL, ive played a couple in shops and i never been blown away, by the sound , great tone but i feel that a TSL combo may not be able to produce the balls i require for the music i want to play, they seem to lack a lot of bottom end compared to a TSL 1/2 or full stack.

Well, with $2000, you could do better than both of the IMO. Where abouts are you?
There's a guy in Sydney selling a Dual Recto (the 2 channel one, which is generally seen as better than the 3 channels) for $2000 or best offer. You could grab that and a decent 2nd hand 2x12 for $2500. They arent as versatile as the Mark IV, but still great for heavy stuff.
EDIT: Just saw you're in Melbourne.
Last edited by littlephil at May 27, 2010,
i would look into one of the 2x12" 1x15" Randall cabs, if you are going for some kind of stack setup. i love my randall 212 115 cab. i use it with either the valveking or RH150G3 in standard tuning and it works great. everyonce in a while i will drop tune, and it works great.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by littlephil
Well, with $2000, you could do better than both of the IMO. Where abouts are you?
There's a guy in Sydney selling a Dual Recto (the 2 channel one, which is generally seen as better than the 3 channels) for $2000 or best offer. You could grab that and a decent 2nd hand 2x12 for $2500. They arent as versatile as the Mark IV, but still great for heavy stuff.
EDIT: Just saw you're in Melbourne.

Thanks dude, will definetly check out the classifieds for any second dual recto's or mark iv's. Will post pics when i finally make a decision

F@CK EVERYTHING

Check Melband. Its only stuff from Melbourne (and occasionally interstate) and there are a lot more people posting there than in the Aussie Classifieds here. Another dude is selling an ENGL Powerball for $2k as well.
Quote by Ignite
wat.

No really, what?

Yer, I know, mesa.... shit ?????
WTf, but like i said that is not my opinnion, ive never played it through a mesa, **** dont think i Ever even played a mesa, full stop! but in a few of the reviews, some people with mesa's weren't a big fan, so i was putting it out there to see if it was the consensus or just a few anomalies... do you / have you owned a sc607b and a mesa??? can u confirm / deny ???? im pretty sure if you plugged a pigs arse into a mesa it would sound good, so i doubt the ltd could sound shite.

F@CK EVERYTHING

Last edited by deftools at May 29, 2010,
Quote by littlephil
Check Melband. Its only stuff from Melbourne (and occasionally interstate) and there are a lot more people posting there than in the Aussie Classifieds here. Another dude is selling an ENGL Powerball for $2k as well.

Thanks Phil!! consider it bookmarked.

F@CK EVERYTHING

Quote by Ignite
wat.

No really, what?

+1, 7 String + Mesa Recto = THE 7 String Sound of the 90s/early 2000s...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by deftools
Yer, I know, mesa.... shit ?????
WTf, but like i said that is not my opinnion, ive never played it through a mesa, **** dont think i Ever even played a mesa, full stop! but in a few of the reviews, some people with mesa's weren't a big fan, so i was putting it out there to see if it was the consensus or just a few anomalies... do you / have you owned a sc607b and a mesa??? can u confirm / deny ???? im pretty sure if you plugged a pigs arse into a mesa it would sound good, so i doubt the ltd could sound shite.

Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Now that i've had some time have a look around, i think its worth me waiting a bit longer and putting away an extra 500 bucks. But im wondering, for that money I can get a top of the line combo or even a half decent stack, so which should I get??? I would love the extra bottom end that a 1/2 stack gives, but are they any good at low volume?? , i.e can i play it when anyone else is home??? Nearly everything i'm seeing is 100w ! ive got a 60w L6 flextone II combo and i dont need it past three when anyone is home. Are there some 60w heads etc out there?

F@CK EVERYTHING

Quote by mmolteratx
The Peavey 3120 is great for 7 string and down tuned playing IMO.

+1

My XXX and Mesa cabinet take my bari, 7- and 8-strings well.
After screwing around for a while I've finally made a purchase. I bought a Bugera 6262 Head and an orange PPC 212 Cab, got them for $2000AUD all up. Just couldnt quite afford a carvin, peavey or 2nd hand mesa, but this thing sounds ****ing amazing through that cab, just gotta wait 3 weeks for my cab to arrive

F@CK EVERYTHING

Last edited by deftools at Jun 3, 2010,
AH! I got my Mark IV for that much! Should have waited man.
There was some amazing deals on Melband this week; an ENGL Powerball for $1600 and a Splawn Quickrod for $1400! I should have shown you them but they probably sold before I could.