Page 1 of 3
Recently I found out that I need to retube my amp
so I thought maybe I should sell it and start saving for my dream amp ?
Is this a good idea, or should I retube my amp and continiue using it ?
My dream amp is ...
Actually I don't know that much about amps and Im looking forward to find some great amps for my taste
The Least I need is a Sh!t load of gain, At least 2 Channels, a Decent reverb, maybe Delay
All I can think of right now is an ENGL Special Edition and I know it has more than everything I need, but I don't know any other great amps so please name some
I know some good amp manufactures like Mesa/Boogie, Peavey, Farmus, Diezel, ... , But I don't know any specific models for my taste
The other problem is that I live in Iran, We have a Marshall reseller here, and I think we may have a Laney reseller too...
Does Lanye have any good models for my taste ?
I've heard that Laney VH100R is good but I don't think it would be as good as ENGL SE right ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think saving a little more and getting an ENGL SE or any other great amps like that from another country whould be better, because it will be my ultimate buy !

So, What do you think ?
Guitar : Cort X-TH ( EMG 81-85 )
Amp : Marshall TSL-602
Effects : Boss MT-2, Boss NS-2
look at the jet city amps there awsome?

and maybe u shud retube ur amp and get a better guitar?
Engl SE or Diezel Herbert. Basically the best two high gainers out there.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Bogner XTC
Fryette Sig:X
Brunetti 059
Soldano SLO100
Elmwood M90
Mesa Mark V
Fortin Meathead
Mako
Baron
Titan Custom 200

These be dreams.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by MatrixClaw

Which is of course objective scientific fact.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by AcousticMirror

Bogner XTC
Fryette Sig:X
Brunetti 059
Soldano SLO100
Elmwood M90
Mesa Mark V
Fortin Meathead
Mako
Baron
Titan Custom 200

These be dreams.

Eh, I would take an SE or Herbert over those any day.

Mako, Baron and Titan are really the only br00talz amps in that list (besides the Meathead... but those are just like... wtf lol), but they're no Herbert

Quote by Kanthras
Which is of course objective scientific fact.

Yup.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at May 27, 2010,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yup.

I don't think you missed it but let me point it out anyway. It was sarcasm. AM illustrates my point quite nicely with that list: it's all subjective.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by MatrixClaw
Eh, I would take an SE or Herbert over those any day.

Mako, Baron and Titan are really the only br00talz amps in that list (besides the Meathead... but those are just like... wtf lol), but they're no Herbert

Yup.

do you still have your ktre?
herbert, engl se, ktre, caa od100se+ party?
The Soldano SLO is a much more awesome amp than any Diezel or ENGL (Titans are pretty awesome too).

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Kanthras
I don't think you missed it but let me point it out anyway. It was sarcasm. AM illustrates my point quite nicely with that list: it's all subjective.

I know it was sarcasm, but until you've played a Diezel Herbert, you wouldn't understand

Quote by AcousticMirror
do you still have your ktre?
herbert, engl se, ktre, caa od100se+ party?

I don't have it anymore, it wasn't mine - sent it to Russia last week

K-Tre was definitely one of my favorite high gainers though, mainly because the clean channel was outstanding on that thing and because it cut like a knife Had a Bogner Uberschall this week. Not so much a fan of it by itself, but boosted, it's a completely different beast

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4018922/Feed%20Me%20Fear_Reamp.mp3

Right side (one that plays first, is unboosted), left is boosted. Levels are messed up cause I just threw it together real quick, but you get the point

I've always heard that the Uberschall's clean channel really isn't a clean channel... but I couldn't for the life of me even get it to distort, more than light blues, with the gain all the way up and the master cranked
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at May 27, 2010,
Quote by MatrixClaw
I know it was sarcasm, but until you've played a Diezel Herbert, you wouldn't understand

I've heard enough recordings to know it's not my kind of amp. Just don't like the voicing.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Revine16
look at the jet city amps there awsome?

and maybe u shud retube ur amp and get a better guitar?

Actually my guitar is pretty awesome !
There are many better guitars for me to buy, but I'm happy with my guitar, I have a VERY low action without any buzz, EMG 81/85 Active Pickups, Neck-thru, Mahogany body, Maple/walnut 5-piece neck, ...
the only problem with my guitar is the shitty floyd rose that I never use, so I prefer to save up for my dream amp instead of buying a new guitar
Another thing to mention is that I'm gonna get my amp from Germany and I believe that prices are so different from U.S, so please keep this in mind
From experience, I can say that a dream amp doesn't always remain your dream amp for that long after you get it. When dream becomes reality, you often dream up something new.
Bogner Uberschall
Diezel VH4
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by Business
From experience, I can say that a dream amp doesn't always remain your dream amp for that long after you get it. When dream becomes reality, you often dream up something new.

+1
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
You might be surprised with the sound of your current amp with a nice retubing. By the time your valves are bad enough to notice that you need new ones you've slowly adjusted to the long decline. Inevitably after a retubing, you think "I don't remember it sounding that good".
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Matrix - I'd take a Blackstar Series One 200 over a Herbert or SE any day.

i tried the series one 100 and didnt like it one bit didnt get a chance to boost it to see if that would make any difference but had nowhere near enough gain for my likings

I'm a big fan of the herberts after seeing a band i supported use them live
some examples of bands you want to play will help us zone in more on your dream amp
Quote by josh_salty
i tried the series one 100 and didnt like it one bit didnt get a chance to boost it to see if that would make any difference but had nowhere near enough gain for my likings

I'm a big fan of the herberts after seeing a band i supported use them live
some examples of bands you want to play will help us zone in more on your dream amp

I said the 200, not the 100 - they aren't the same amp. The 200 has more gain on tap via the two OD channels.
i stand corrected thats abit retarded two amps apparently the same series but completely different channels:P ahhwell best go and try the 200 aswell then!
Quote by josh_salty
i stand corrected thats abit retarded two amps apparently the same series but completely different channels:P ahhwell best go and try the 200 aswell then!

The channel labeled "Overdrive" with the voicings "Crunch" and "Super Crunch" on the 100 is labeled as the "Crunch" channel on the 200. The 200 has two more OD channels (4 channels all together, whereas the 100 only has 2 channels) that have more gain on tap.
You could do a lot worse than the Hiwatt HG50SER combo (or head and Maxwatt 4x12 cab). Serious gain (that's why they call it the HiGain) and the sort of build quality that usually costs quite a bit more dosh.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

did you say you were in germany ts?
bmw. i mean diezel. seems like a no brainer if you are german native.
you have to like Diezel voicing, their rather unique souding, personally I don't like them. I'd take a Road King over a VH4 or Herbert anyday.

^^isnt Engl german too?
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Quote by teamhex
Im sure some would think its over-rated, but my dream amp is a Twin Reverb Re-issue.

how about a real one

that would be more of a dream amp, or maybe a clone

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_60a.htm#6A80

but the reissues are just not worth the money
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at May 27, 2010,
I've heard good and bad about ENGL amps. Some people think they're fantastic all-around, while others can only find one sound they really like. Unfortunately, I hear a lot about them being one-trick ponies for "kill"mode. This is fine and all if you have the money to buy several amps, but I'd buy something with more options. I personally prefer Mesa/Boogie to any company out there and though I admit my bias towards them, I have never heard a negative word regarding their tone from anyone ever... Check out the Mark Series and/or Rectifiers for high gain amps as well as other versatile sounds.

Just my two bits.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Quote by Philosophient
Recently I found out that I need to retube my amp
so I thought maybe I should sell it and start saving for my dream amp ?
Is this a good idea, or should I retube my amp and continiue using it ?
My dream amp is ...
Actually I don't know that much about amps and Im looking forward to find some great amps for my taste
The Least I need is a Sh!t load of gain, At least 2 Channels, a Decent reverb, maybe Delay
All I can think of right now is an ENGL Special Edition and I know it has more than everything I need, but I don't know any other great amps so please name some
I know some good amp manufactures like Mesa/Boogie, Peavey, Farmus, Diezel, ... , But I don't know any specific models for my taste
The other problem is that I live in Iran, We have a Marshall reseller here, and I think we may have a Laney reseller too...
Does Lanye have any good models for my taste ?
I've heard that Laney VH100R is good but I don't think it would be as good as ENGL SE right ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think saving a little more and getting an ENGL SE or any other great amps like that from another country whould be better, because it will be my ultimate buy !

So, What do you think ?

I think you should look at Diamond amplifiers. The Nitrox has an unholy amount of gain and the Spec Ops has that and more. They ain't cheap, but considering the amplifiers you've mentioned, they're in your ballpark.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by fbeckinsale
you have to like Diezel voicing, their rather unique souding, personally I don't like them. I'd take a Road King over a VH4 or Herbert anyday.

^^isnt Engl german too?

Yeah, I've tried a few Diezels, & I think they're a bit sterile sounding, although they sound better than many other amps IMO (sorry Matrix ). I bought a used SLO100 because it just sounds totally "alive" at virtually any settings, & if you need more gain than it has, God help you, you're going to Mud City ! I don't know if I'd prefer a Road King over a Herbert, though, even though the Road King is a nice amp & has a more live feel to it. Diezels get such a wide range of smooth tones, but not MY tones

Getting MY dream amp would unfortunately involve either my breaking into Eddie Van Halen's house to get his old precious baby #1 100W plexi , or similar procedure to get S.I.R. #39 from Studio Instrument Rentals in LA (Slash's Appetite amp).
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by AcousticMirror
the slo is definitely a dream amp...but I only want the crunch channel.

DOOD. That's like saying you want a Lamborghini so you can drive it in first gear only
The crunch channel IS pretty cool, but I use other amps for crunch tones. The SLO only comes out for pseudo-br00talz
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
Yeah, I've tried a few Diezels, & I think they're a bit sterile sounding, although they sound better than many other amps IMO (sorry Matrix ).

Really? I would definitely describe the VH4 as just that, but everytime I've played a Herbert it's very organic sounding.

Either way, they're not for everyone. But for a tight, modern metal sound, they're hard to beat if money if no object
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by AcousticMirror
the slo is definitely a dream amp...but I only want the crunch channel.

they have a soldano for that, as you most likely know already.

no one plays meowcore anymore, it kinda died out like shoegaze

but i did rock a music man hd212-150 with a sansamp gt-2 back in the day. it was metal. no BS.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by riffhog
DOOD. That's like saying you want a Lamborghini so you can drive it in first gear only
The crunch channel IS pretty cool, but I use other amps for crunch tones. The SLO only comes out for pseudo-br00talz

whoops sorry I meant I only want the high gain channel. The clean channel and the crunch channel leaves much to be desired. Like a different clean channel for instance. But ya there is an amp for that...but owning an avenger isn't nearly as cool as owning the SOLDANO SLO100 AWESOmEEDITION!
: (
What the hell are you talking aboot? The SLO has awesome crunch/mid-gain and the cleans are pretty good too, they're not very typical, but they sound very good nonetheless.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Page 1 of 3