So...I was wondering.
Does the tempo have to be constant in a song?
For example, my bandmates were bugging me when I wrote a ska-punk song and the chorus had a little bit faster tempo..like 20bmp. They told me it's only possible to do it like twice as fast or twice as slow. But now I went to listen to ''Prayer of Refugee'' by Rise Against and it has a lil bit faster tempo in the chorus. (Not sure...I'm sleepy like hell...but pretty sure). So I'm asking you my dear UGers....does the tempo have to be constant in a song? (Think punk rock, ska-punk...). And maybe if you're nice enough...could you check on me bout the ''Prayer of the Refugee song''?

Tl;dr: Can tempo of a song change during the song? (think verse-chorus). If yes, how can it change?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
There are no rules when it comes to song writing. Listen to a band like Dream Theater, their time signatures change all the time mid song.
Sure time changes can occur during songs, as Rajah said, there's no rules involved. The only problem that can arise is when you want to return to the original time - your band has to be good to pull it off smoothly and correctly.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Listen to The Decline by NOFX. This will answer all your punk questions, in under 20 minutes!
No, tempo doesn't have to be constant.

Tempo changes often occur as a gradual slowing down (called ritardando), especially at the end of a song, or a gradual speeding up (called accelerado). These make tempo changes more flowing instead of being a sudden change which is why they're used a lot.

Having said that, you can also do sudden changes in tempo. I saw band play Living La Vida Loca. For the first half they played the song normally then half way through they suddenly went into a much slower reggae breakdown and it sounded awesome (and it was hilarious).

So yeah, you can change the tempo however much you want. An example that springs to mind is Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand. Right after he says "I won't be leaving here...with you" they slow down pretty clearly. They use this technique of the reasonably quick ritardando a lot and to good effect.
thank you guys for your awesome answers! Gotta love UG
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Changing tempo is awesome.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.