[if you like iphone] 16 suicide in a chinese factory in the last 6 months

Page 1 of 2
i hesitate to use the word "sweat shop" since honestly i know nothing about this factory's management.

but here is the story, some months ago, an employee of this factory committed suicide because the factory's management suspected that he had stolen an iphone, and acoording to news report, the management used VERY harsh way to handle the matter before the suicide happaned. the matter caused apple computer's concern, and have pressed the factory to reconsider it's management strategy.

since this incident, 11 more employees ended their lifes. The boss of the factory had to fly all the way from Taiwan to south china to address the issue a copule days ago. The boss appologized for what had happened. So far these 12 deaths are comfirmed and reported.

Yet, since the boss visit and within 24 hours thereafter, sources on the internet alleged that there are 4 more attempted suicides. 1 of them is now confirmed. the rest are still considered to be rumours.
tired of finger speed exercise and turned into slow blues improvisation lately
Who cares as long as I can keep getting my steady supply of sweet, packaged individualism in the form of the latest iGadgets?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by Jazzalenko
His location is Hong Kong, and judging by the brokeness of his english, it's most definately not his first language either.

Yo dawg, she be trollin'
Quote by gallagher2006
Yo dawg, she be trollin'

Thats nothing new.

If he's from Hong Kong, then he did a damn good job at typing that.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by molala2

since this incident, 11 more employees ended their lifes. The boss of the factory had to fly all the way from Taiwan to south china to address the issue a copule days ago. The boss appologized for what had happened. So far these 12 deaths are comfirmed and reported.

All the way? Taiwan is very close to South China.
Weekend Warrior
Yes English is not my first language. I was pretty exicted by the event and i couldnt care much about grammar. It kinda amazes me that ppl's focus is on my lauguage ability but not what i have said. Alright it was me who's been incomprensible.

Btw, you can't go to south china from taiwan on foot.
Quote by molala2
Yes English is not my first language. I was pretty exicted by the event and i couldnt care much about grammar. It kinda amazes me that ppl's focus is on my lauguage ability but not what i have said. Alright it was me who's been incomprensible.

Btw, you can't go to south china from taiwan on foot.

Dude, don't worry about it. Its just Fassa... she's known for being a bitch about random things. You're doing alright, its understandable.

You got a link to an article about what you were talking about?
Quote by Riffofthebeast
hitler could have conquered the entire world if he just sent an assasin to every enemy country and have their leader assasinated
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Punctuation please. I don't speak English as a first language and I can use punctuation better than you.

Please, shut the **** up already.

On topic: What the hell are they doing over there? 16 suicides??? They just need to shut that plant down, but then I have a feeling there would be more suicides as a result of unemployment.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Punctuation please. I don't speak English as a first language and I can use punctuation better than you.

You live in Manchester

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by KTFM
Exactly

Good point actually, my whole family lives round that area. "Y'allright luveh"

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Well so can I. I won't be a douche about it since some people don't get the benefit of learning English let alone grammar.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Here's a good article: http://a11news.com/3193/apple-ipod-factory-suicides/

Foxconn is the Taiwanese company, also known as Honhai, which manufactures Apple’s iPhone and iPod, as well as goods for just about every major technology company, including Sony, Nintendo, HP and so on.

Foxconn has been plagued by a series of suicides at its plants, particularly at the enormous Longhua plant where over 400,000 people work.

Just last Tuesday, a 24-year-old female employee died after jumping from an apartment building near the Longhua plant. She was the eighth suicide leap since the beginning of the year.

For those who believe the spate of suicides is statistically in line, given how many people work at Foxconn, consider this: the company says it has prevented a further 30 people from trying to kill themselves in the past three weeks alone. Clearly, something out of the ordinary is going on.

What is happening in Shenzhen has the hallmarks of a “suicide cluster”, when the notion of suicide spreads rapidly through a group of people, often teenagers or young adults.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht

*reported*

People, try to ignore posts from fassa. Just report them and move on. Maybe one beautiful day she'll get banned.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
People, try to ignore posts from fassa. Just report them and move on. Maybe one beautiful day she'll get banned.

Has she ever been banned?
EDIT: ohmahgod

And this is terrible
Quote by article
Others have said the current generation of migrant workers, who have opted to move from other parts of China to seek their fortunes in the country’s coastal factories, are not as tough as their forbears.

Usually better educated than their parents, they are prone to existential angst when confronted with seven-day weeks and 15-hour days of repetitive manufacturing.

Not as tough? "Tough it up, ya sissies," seems a pretty stupid thing to say after so many have committed suicide. Obviously there's a bigger problem than just willpower.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Say hello to that beautiful day.

And bloody hell, suicide clusters are f*cked up.

<3 x ∞

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
15 hour days are just fucked

And this is their solution

Foxconn says it is at its wits end as to how to tackle the problem, and has even drafted in a Buddhist monk to try to purge its factories of evil spirits

Amazing
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
There are allegations over Chinese forum that the factory has been managing their staff in a MILITARY STYLE. I have no evidence to confirm this. Yet here is a video showing how the guards of the factory bullied certain staff. Rumour has it that these security gurads are retired police/army men, and their appointment was done together by the factory and the Chinese government (which was said to be a legal requirement in China).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqe10_ex74c
Quote by stratkat
I hate all apple products, i've never actually tried a mac though, but I hav nothing against macs, just everything that starts with a lower case 'i'

Luck
Our Savior

Quote by burnboy85
where do snails get their shells, anyway?
Quote by crazy8rgood
They make them while they grow. They secrete the substance, I believe.
Quote by Gunpowder
THAT IS SO NEAT

tee hee i changed the shit out of my color scheme
Quote by Synyster915

w/e

My tracfone's 100x cheaper cuz i get double minutes and have 3 years of service,

My tracfone+DS is way funner then that shit, it's got nothing but cheap useless apps:/
also ipods are terrible, voted worst piece of technology of the millonium.

i'm not doing it cuz it's trendy with people my age, i'm saying it cuz it's trendy with kids about half a decade younger then me, and as a whole they're stupid:/
Last edited by stratkat at May 27, 2010,
Quote by stratkat
w/e

My tracfone's 100x cheaper cuz i get double minutes and have 3 years of service,

My tracfone+DS is way funner then that shit, it's got nothing but cheap useless apps:/

i'm not doing it cuz it's trendy with people my age, i'm saying it cuz it's trendy with kids about half a decade younger then me, and as a whole they're stupid:/

I agree with you, Strat.

What I could never understand either was the way Apple seemed to be considered a "plucky underdog" compared to Microsoft.

Anyone seen the news recently? Apple is currently worth more than Microsoft (even though Apple turns a smaller profit).
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by KTFM
You are my new favourite Pit Mod. LOL jks, you were always my favourite Pit Mod.

He's not a Pit mod. Or is he now?
Quote by stratkat
w/e

so youre deliberately not doing something because its trendy? perhaps you need to extract your head from your ass
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Nah, mate. That's messed up, aye? Imagine that aye? Poor buggers. What'd them fellas do to deserve that while we fart arse round here not givin' a damn. Makes ya think, don't it? Pretty lucky bein' an Ocker.
Quote by whalepudding
That is the most Australian post I've ever seen.

Fuckin' oath, fella!!
Quote by 'GoodnightHero'
i absolutely fucking love you.
and it has nothing to do with your lego ACDC fetish.

Strewth, cobber! Good on ya!
Quote by newbie08
Nah, mate. That's messed up, aye? Imagine that aye? Poor buggers. What'd them fellas do to deserve that while we fart arse round here not givin' a damn. Makes ya think, don't it? Pretty lucky bein' an Ocker.

you again

oh my god i love you
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7

Pedals:

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Quote by ihavenoname93
so youre deliberately not doing something because its trendy? perhaps you need to extract your head from your ass

It's not trendy with the people I hang out with, I have 1 friend who has one, and he's a bit of a douche. I think it's a terrible and overrated. I was just saying if I were 15 it'd be trendy, just like the razorv1 was.

My point being I'd hope anyone over 16 would realize it's overrated.
Last edited by stratkat at May 27, 2010,
Quote by stratkat
It's not trendy with the people I hang out with, I have 1 friend who has one, and he's a bit of a douche. I think it's a terrible and overrated. I was just saying if I were 15 it'd be trendy, just like the razorv1 was.

im not advocating following every fad that pops up, but avoiding them because you dont like the people who do just seems a little silly to me.
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7

Pedals:

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Quote by newbie08

I like your posts.

Even if i can't always (or ever) understand them.
Quote by unet

I like your posts.

Even if i can't always (or ever) understand them.

I agree, even if I'm leaning towards 'or ever'

And I used to watch neighbours! What a false representation of Australian life I have been fed

Also this is really sad about the factory. Apple should insist on only taking products made in safe and bearable conditions
This is really terrible Papa Steve needs to clean up his shit.

And OMG. Fassa is banned??? Should we... should we start a celebratory thread?
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Page 1 of 2