Is that little beauty a REAL all-tube-amp? i mean,in the description,the main site tell you that the head is loaded with 2 12AX7 tubes...one of them should work as a phase inverter,while the other one is relevant at least for the clean i guess..

So,knowing that all real tube amps have at least 4 preamp tubes,how does da switchblade work with,for the lead channels? fets?diodes?digital?

I'm asking because i'd be very interested in this head,but really can't try ...

Oh and some opinions about the Carvin V3 plz versatility,sound-similar-to-what and so on.
Quote by ZaÐ
So,knowing that all real tube amps have at least 4 preamp tubes,how does da switchblade work with,for the lead channels? fets?diodes?digital?

So my Vox is not an Real tube Amp And AFAIK does the AC30 only have 3 12AX7, so this is not a real tube amp either?

Well, I know someone who had a Switchblade for quite some time, and it sounds pretty good. The FX are nothing compared to a G-Major, but still sound okay. There are a lot of rumors about the Switchblade sounding like ass, but honestly, I can't confirm that. It's either oppinion or the normal OmG an amp with onboardFX bandwaggoning. So, I guess it's about taste.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
I have the switchblade and yes it is all tube. Only the effects are digital, but if you switch them off, you only have a tube sound. When you switch them on, you're in total tonal heaven because the effects just sound fantastic!

I don't know where you got that a "real tube amp" has 4 preamp tubes. That just is rubbish :p.

@Orangewalls: I have played tons of amps, own(ed) quite a few and I can definately say that the switchblade does not sound like crap. It's great.

It's so great that everytime i GAS for a Diezel VH4, i plug in to my switchblade and the GAS is cured. Instantly. I tell you, this amp is amazing. The only part that could be a little better is that on high gain settings (and this thing has tons and tons of gain), you may start to hear a hiss when your not playing. But that's never been a problem for me, and if you're really anal about it, buy a noisegate.
Well about the number of tubes in preamp,it also depends on the channels...but i can make sure you that a tube amp usually needs more than 2 preamp tubes ;P being a all tube amp with 2 12Ax7 sounds more like magic! :'DD anyway thanks for replies,really useful!!!
Quote by skralan

@Orangewalls: I have played tons of amps, own(ed) quite a few and I can definately say that the switchblade does not sound like crap. It's great.

As I said, I never played that amp myself, I only had a buddy who played it in a live setup (for which the switchblade is amazing due the integrated midi). He then uprgraded to an Engl Savage and an G-Major, which in my oppionion sounded better then the Switchblade.
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
I don't know how they get all that gain out of two 12AX7s. I suspect it's got ss gain stages for additional drive built in like H&K's Statesman series of amps, but I'm not sure. It's hard to find any info and H&K sure won't tell you.

Not like it matters as long as it sounds good. It could run with dead raccoons for all I care .

I like the Switchblade's sound. Oddly enough, it seems to be geared towards metal, but I like it's lower gain tones the best. The effects are nice enough as well. Not very flexible, but there's still plenty of uses for them.
Last edited by TheQuailman at May 27, 2010,