Hello guys,

I´m going to upgrade my gear, and I´d like to know a few things :P

I'm using a pod 2.0 running it straight into a cheap hifi system, this sounds decent at best. Now..I'll be buying a boss GT-10 in a few weeks and I'll be using it through my headphones and something else.
Now my question regarding that something else: I don't want to run it through my hifi set and I was wondering if it would be possible to run it straight into a set of cabinets instead of an amp (since the multi effect pedal has amp models).
Does anyone have any experience doing this?
How does it effect the sound quality, and what cabinets should I be looking for? (I don't plan on spending more that 200 dollars on cabinets)
Would I still be able to use the effect looper of the gt 10?

Thanks in advance!
Quote by martijndrift
Hello guys,

I´m going to upgrade my gear, and I´d like to know a few things :P

I'm using a pod 2.0 running it straight into a cheap hifi system, this sounds decent at best. Now..I'll be buying a boss GT-10 in a few weeks and I'll be using it through my headphones and something else.
Now my question regarding that something else: I don't want to run it through my hifi set and I was wondering if it would be possible to run it straight into a set of cabinets instead of an amp (since the multi effect pedal has amp models).
Does anyone have any experience doing this?
How does it effect the sound quality, and what cabinets should I be looking for? (I don't plan on spending more that 200 dollars on cabinets)
Would I still be able to use the effect looper of the gt 10?

Thanks in advance!

No you need an amp. I don't mean a guitar amp, I mean an amplifier in general. Speaker cabinets are just speakers, no power. If you run a GT-10 into a speaker cabinet you'll get a line level signal, which is almost negligible, and so it will be whisper quiet at best.

Best and cheapest way to do this is with a bare bones power amp, like a Crate Power Block. Its just a simple SS amplifier that will recreate EXACTLY the sound you put into it, which is perfect for something with amp and cab sim built in.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at May 27, 2010,
NO, you can't do that. The MFX is not an amp.

You need an amp. The MFX has no power amp.
What about studio monitors? Do you have to amp those?
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Ty for the quick replys!
Guess I'll try getting my hands on a Crate Power Block then :P
Quote by teamhex

you need at least some power source to power the speakers. you can't just run a line level signal into some speakers no matter what type of speakers they are - it's such a small signal that just won't push the speakers at all. Although, if the studio monitors are active it could work - because they would have a power amplifier built in to them.

I've seen lots of bands running multi-fx with amp simulation into the PA and it can be quite an effective setup, but it sounds a bit clinical and produced compared to having a proper backline.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
you need at least some power source to power the speakers. you can't just run a line level signal into some speakers no matter what type of speakers they are - it's such a small signal that just won't push the speakers at all. Although, if the studio monitors are active it could work - because they would have a power amplifier built in to them.

I've seen lots of bands running multi-fx with amp simulation into the PA and it can be quite an effective setup, but it sounds a bit clinical and produced compared to having a proper backline.

Yeah I figured maybe studio monitors were a bigger/better version of computer speakers. I was thinking about build a setup like this in my room. Thanks for the info.
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
You can get *Active* Studio Monitors. I have a pair of Samson Resolv 65a active monitors and use them with a multifx.
Quote by teamhex

This was going to be my next question, since it is possible to record with a multi effect pedal straight in to a pc, I´d assume it would be possible to use studio monitors as an output from the pc? Or would you still need a power amp in that case?

ps: crate power blocks aren't available anymore?
are there any other cheap and decent quality options, or should I just buy a small valve amp?
Quote by martijndrift
This was going to be my next question, since it is possible to record with a multi effect pedal straight in to a pc, I´d assume it would be possible to use studio monitors as an output from the pc? Or would you still need a power amp in that case?

are there any other cheap and decent quality options, or should I just buy a small valve amp?

I saw a crate power block on ebay this morning.
I like my 5w Champ 600 and im sure it would work great for what you want.
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Quote by martijndrift

If you're going to use a guitar amp, you better get those with an FX loop so you can bypass the preamp.

Unless of course if you're using something like microcube/cube series, you don't need the FX loop, just go straight into the aux-in/cd-in instead, and you'll be using the power amp there, but your volume must be adjusted from the mfx unit.

With other types of speakers like those for the PC, you might lack proper mids.
Quote by martijndrift

Ya, sorry I didn't mention that. They're pretty common on the used market, and can be found relatively cheap if you look hard enough. For other alternatives I'd look at keyboard amps, which are just SS amps with a flat response. That's the key for what you're trying to do; you want flat EQ response so the character of the sound comes from your amp/cab sim and not the amp.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!