Page 1 of 2
Hey guys!

So, last night I went to see John Mayer, at Wembley, it was absolutely outstanding; definitely one of the best live shows I've ever seen.

Anyway, on topic, I was completely blown away by his tone, it was sensational. His warm, luscious clean tone, and his soaring overdriven leads, his long, sweet sustain, his mellow, yet exciting clean solos...It left me speechless.

So, I know he uses Dumble amps, or at least a Dumble clone, and they are quite obviously out of my budget. His strat pickups apparently have a very low output.

Basically, I'm wondering what pickups I should get to replace the ones in my newly refinished Squier. (I'll get a link to it if anyone's interested.) Some might think I'd be better off buying a new guitar, but, I honestly believe my Squier is the best guitar I've ever played. I got seriously lucky. (I've played Fenders, Gibsons, etc. but I've always preferred my Squier.)

Budget for the pickups isn't huge, maybe about £100 for the coils (2), and around £50-60, for the humbucker. (It's HSS.)

In the long run, I'll want to upgrade my amp, but, I think for the time being my Blackheart is fine, it's a lovely, budget tube amp, and it isn't far off from Mayer tone, I just need something extra. But, if you want, recommend me some amps that could get me a decent Mayer tone. Not over £600 for a head, but I might go used.

Thank you very much.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
in terms of single coils, he has these signature mid-scooping "big dipper" pickups in his strats....i wouldn't worry about getting a humbucker...i believe he only uses one during "Assassin".
i find that the pickups in my american strat are very very similar if you drop the mids on the amp a little lit
also, he uses a bunch of pedals for his tone: keeley ts-808, keeley bd-2, etc...i know there's a website somewhere with all his equipment info
Try amp settings
Bass, 8
Middle, 3 or 4
Treble 6.5

this will get you pretty close to his clean tone.. judging from the fact that you have a tube amp. For his overdriven tone.. I get pretty darn close. I use a doodad guitars check-a-board overdrive and a tubescreamer combined to nail it. Though a tubescreamer and mudhoney should work too.
Gear:

Fender American Strat, texas specials
Fender Tele Baja
VOX AC15
Ibanez Analog Delay
Boss Keeley Blues Driver
Katana boost
Dunlop Wah
"....it was sensational. His warm, luscious clean...."

I had to stop for a second when reading...
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Quote by forsaknazrael
You'll need to plug into a Jennifer Aniston or Jessica Simpson to cop his tone.

>_>

Quote by Mangohabs
in terms of single coils, he has these signature mid-scooping "big dipper" pickups in his strats....i wouldn't worry about getting a humbucker...i believe he only uses one during "Assassin".
i find that the pickups in my american strat are very very similar if you drop the mids on the amp a little lit

Hmm, interesting. Do you know where I can get these? After a quick google search they seem to only come with his guitar.

Quote by BvH001
Try amp settings
Bass, 8
Middle, 3 or 4
Treble 6.5

this will get you pretty close to his clean tone.. judging from the fact that you have a tube amp. For his overdriven tone.. I get pretty darn close. I use a doodad guitars check-a-board overdrive and a tubescreamer combined to nail it. Though a tubescreamer and mudhoney should work too.

Thanks for the help man, but, every amp is different, every amp has more mids, or more bass, compared to another, so shooting around amp settings is a good way to show what kind of show he has (E.g. Bass-y, or mid-y, etc.), but normally they can't be applied exactly the same to another amp, as it's gonna be different.

Do you think a tubescreamer is a must? I've never really used anything as a boost, so, I don't know. But, on the single coils, my amp doesn't get very heavy. It could probably get most Mayer stuff, but, I've heard TS really do give the amp more of a push. Should I invest in a boost pedal?

Quote by teamhex
"....it was sensational. His warm, luscious clean...."

I had to stop for a second when reading...

Sorry, I just couldn't find another way to describe it.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone

Sorry, I just couldn't find another way to describe it.

Not making fun or anything, but I had a good laugh
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Mayer doesn't really use the TS as a boost. He uses it for the OD. And look on eBay for his sig pickups. Any decent low output SC will get you within the ball park. To be honest, most of his tone comes from the amps he uses. Back in the day he used a Super Reverb and these days is using a Dumble SSS or clone depending on where he is.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I don't really hear Dumble distortion in Mayer's tones. Mostly the TS. He is an SRV clone after all.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by teamhex
Not making fun or anything, but I had a good laugh

+1
When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show.
When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.

-The Great George Carlin
Hmm, quite an interesting debate here.

There are mixed opinions about how much difference pickups make on UG, but, Squier pickups are really, really shitty, so I think it would make quite a big difference, if I got something of decent quality. So, what kind? Budget is in OP.

Also, about the overdrive, I've heard he uses a Keeley Modded TS9? and 808? Is that true?

What pedal do you recommend, if you think it's a good idea to get an OD, for Mayer type tones? Not a very high budget, maybe £50-70 ish, but I will buy it used.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
get a tubescreamer.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone

Basically, I'm wondering what pickups I should get to replace the ones in my newly refinished Squier. (I'll get a link to it if anyone's interested.) Some might think I'd be better off buying a new guitar, but, I honestly believe my Squier is the best guitar I've ever played. I got seriously lucky. (I've played Fenders, Gibsons, etc. but I've always preferred my Squier.)

Budget for the pickups isn't huge, maybe about £100 for the coils (2), and around £50-60, for the humbucker. (It's HSS.)

http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/

email or PM Chris and let him know what equipment you have and what you're trying to achieve, he'll be able to tell you what you need pickupwise and probably make it too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by forsaknazrael
True, for most of his rhythm tones.

However in some of the John Mayer Trio stuff, he has Dumblish sounding leads, I think.

I'm not a big Mayer fan so I probably just haven't heard it. But in that case, I'd go with a Mosferatu if you're using single coils. It's a bit darker and has more gain on tap to compensate for low output single coils. It's an all around better pedal IMO.

TS, I'd suggest pretty much any decent low output single coil set. I've heard good things about Rock Monkey pickups if you're in the UK. Swapping the pickguard to make it a SSS guitar would be ideal but not required as I don't hear Mayer using the bridge pickup a whole lot.

As for pedals, I think you should start with a TS9 or Maxon OD9 and eventually get a Mosferatu as well. Mayer also makes a lot of use of the Way Huge Aqua Puss with repeats set low and quiet. The reissue is very close sounding albeit it has slightly less headroom. Not really a problem with low output single coils. He uses it more for the nice slight compression it gives I think.

When you do get around to getting a new amp, a Super Reverb or clone would be perfect.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
Also, about the overdrive, I've heard he uses a Keeley Modded TS9? and 808? Is that true?

generally, when you get a modded TS9, you mod it to 808 spec with a little more niceness. Yes, most famous musicians that use the TS9 either have a Keeley modded pedal, or they did it themselves.

If you want I can do the mods for you -- PM me if you're interested.
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
Let first say, I hate you so much. I wanted to go see that show incredibly. Ah I kid

Anyway I heard he doesn't actually use the bridge pickup and more of the mixture of the bridge and middle pickup. Anyone want to clarify?
Thanks a lot for the help guys. I'm going to be looking into RockMonkey.

Quote by Photograph
Let first say, I hate you so much. I wanted to go see that show incredibly. Ah I kid

Anyway I heard he doesn't actually use the bridge pickup and more of the mixture of the bridge and middle pickup. Anyone want to clarify?

, I never really saw the pickup selector in the bridge position, to be honest, so, I think that's probably right.

He said he'd come back to Wembley next year, I might see you there.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by mmolteratx
I don't really hear Dumble distortion in Mayer's tones. Mostly the TS.

You don't? It's all over Where The Light Is and his Trio stuff. But what you need for Mayer's tone is in short a dumble, a buttload of boutique pedals and a Strat with mid-scooped pickups indeed. The Big Dipper only come with his signature model strat, but you can get custom made, or the Custom '69 are very like his signature pickups.

Can I ask you, was he using a pedalboard with all the pedals on it or was he using a CAE midi board to control the pedals in his rack?
Quote by WtrPlyr
You don't? It's all over Where The Light Is and his Trio stuff. But what you need for Mayer's tone is in short a dumble, a buttload of boutique pedals and a Strat with mid-scooped pickups indeed. The Big Dipper only come with his signature model strat, but you can get custom made, or the Custom '69 are very like his signature pickups.

Can I ask you, was he using a pedalboard with all the pedals on it or was he using a CAE midi board to control the pedals in his rack?

I'm afraid I don't know. I was too far away to see his feet. I never really saw him obviously stepping on any pedals though, so, I don't think he had a board.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Well, I think it's obvious that most of his tone comes from his amps. A much smaller percentage comes from the pickups and pedals, but if you're stuck with your amp, I suppose they can get you closer.

I think the best plan of attack is to get some nice, vintage output/vintage voiced single coils (talk to Chris at rockmonkey, probably) and a good Dumble-esque pedal. If you're happy with your cleans, that will begin to get you there. Ultimately, you won't get it without the amp, though.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Mayer's amp set-up is the Dumble and the Two Rock running together. He has them on all the time and runs them as one amp. He has a Marshall Bluesbreaker, a Tubescreamer and a Klon. He mainly leaves the Klon on at all times and then uses the TS and Bluesbreaker for leads. He does have a couple Linn pedals. For his pick-up, they are proprietary, however, Klein S-5's are a good substitute. The thing w/ the pups are, it's best to buy them in a set as the Ohms vary from neck to bridge like most set-ups. The middle pup is RWRP and he does have a mid-boost ala Clapton.
you'll never get his tone without his amp really.
something along the lines of - a real dumble
two-rock
bludotune
caroll ann
fuchs
vvt xdrive
the best twin reverb ever

pickups won't even get you close.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I know I won't nail his tone without his amp, or something like his amp, but, there's no way I can afford that.
All I'm trying to do, is get closer. Pickups can make a difference, and, compared to stock Squier pups, I think it will make a significant difference.

I've e-mailed Chris, he replied, recommended me some pickups, so I think I'll go with those. http://rockmonkeyguitars.com/1962_smooth_groove.htm and http://rockmonkeyguitars.com/custom_extra_warm_smooth_groove.htm First for the neck, second in the middle.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Good plan going for Rockmonkeys, I've got a set in my strat and play a lot of Mayer.
62 smooth grooves in the neck and middle and warm gorilla groove in the bridge, didn't get them specifically for Mayer though.
Last edited by aaronni at May 28, 2010,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Cool, that's what I got.

Well, I have a custom Swinging Hot in the middle, but the Smooth Groove in the neck and the CEW in the bridge is WIN.

Have you got any demos? I haven't found any yet.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Umm....demonstrating what exactly? I can maybe make some.

the delay clip on my profile is my Strat neck pickup with some digital delay:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/forsaknazrael/music/play781998

Just a general feel of the tone and dynamics. I know a lot depends on the amp, pedals, etc. But, you can still get a general idea of what kind of sounds I'm going to get.

Thanks man.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Clean stuff?

Yeah, also a bit of light OD, if that's okay?

Thanks a lot man, really appreciated.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Page 1 of 2