As I'm starting to go away from just covers, and I've always wanted to learn the methods behind things, I am wanting to know the basics of theory. I know it may be a vague, and large request, but other than a teacher, what is the best way to learn theory? I have been in concert band for 4 years, so I'm not completely stupid. Its just guitar theory I'd like to learn about.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by Sean0913
There definitely is.

Sean

let me guess ...... signing up for your website ?

shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 27, 2010,
Quote by Sean0913
There definitely is.

Sean

and two topics down

Quote by Sean0913
No, I think you should learn to find these answers yourself. Music isn't a Vending machine where you throw a little effort and receive instant gratification. Time, Patience, Commitment and Practice. If you have to ask how it helps, it sounds like we are put in the position of "talking you into it".

I'm sure no one wants to do that. You're in charge of your own musical destiny. Find these answers for yourself. Show that you respect music and the fact that it takes work and time and go out there and make it happen.

Best,

Sean

WHUT?

theres a easy way to learn theory?
not so much....

try studying?
Last edited by Coagulation at May 27, 2010,
Quote by Coagulation
and two topics down

WHUT?

theres a easy way to learn theory?
not so much....

try studying?

He is right in that there is an easy way, if you know what to tackle and in what order you could advance quickly. But that doesn't mean you don't have to spend time working on it. You have to be really committed to music if you want to go far in it.

Anyone can play catch outside, but there's a big difference between that and playing in the MLB. The more work and time you put into it, the better you'll be and the farther you'll get. Pretty easy if you think about it.
I'd love to learn, I just don't know where to start. Or what some of the basics for guitar is.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
I'd love to learn, I just don't know where to start. Or what some of the basics for guitar is.
Try learning the notes of the fretboard, then maybe the major scale.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by AWACS

I would suggest that you

- 1st learn to read standard notation.

(you would also be learning where the notes on your instrument are during this process)

- build up a repertoire of music. Start with things your familiar with (and like). then branch out from there.

then, when you have the background for it, get yourself a theory book. Be patient and enjoy the process.

Sites like this can be helpful as well...

Quote by pwrmax
www.musictheory.net

Good if you want something free.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 27, 2010,
the easiest way for me was to read an article and then apply it to my writing as much as i could