Chances are, this is in the wrong place. So I'm sorry.

But I need to learn how to tell what key a song is in ASAP, im working with auto tune ( for a rap band Im recording)

And I dont understand what key they are playing in

(I dont know music theory whatsoever)

thanks.
There's a key for rap music?
Kidding aside, either doodle around around on guitar till you find the root note (the key) or relate what you hear to an anchor note (like middle c) and figure out step wise. Or i guess you could fiddle with the auto tune till it sounds right.
You could always ASK what key they are playing in?
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by guitarsftw
You could always ASK what key they are playing in?

They have no idea, they are great, but aren't exactly well educated in music.
Quote by legallydead
Chances are, this is in the wrong place. So I'm sorry.

But I need to learn how to tell what key a song is in ASAP, im working with auto tune ( for a rap band Im recording)

And I dont understand what key they are playing in

(I dont know music theory whatsoever)

thanks.

Maybe learn music theory before you try and work with a program that auto-tunes. It's bad enough people don't have to learn how to sing anymore.

Seriously though, you'll need to start learning basic music theory ASAP, it's the only way anyone could explain to you what key a song is in. I assume that since you post here that you play guitar. Start by learning all the notes on the fretboard.
Quote by yearzero
Maybe learn music theory before you try and work with a program that auto-tunes. It's bad enough people don't have to learn how to sing anymore.

Seriously though, you'll need to start learning basic music theory ASAP, it's the only way anyone could explain to you what key a song is in. I assume that since you post here that you play guitar. Start by learning all the notes on the fretboard.

They are using it for Backup vocals, I have it only because I like to mess around with it from time to time to make comedy songs.

I myself can kind of sing, but I dont use auto tune to assist me.

I have been playing for 6 years now, I just never really got around to it
Quote by legallydead
They are using it for Backup vocals, I have it only because I like to mess around with it from time to time to make comedy songs.

I myself can kind of sing, but I dont use auto tune to assist me.

I have been playing for 6 years now, I just never really got around to it

It's all good man. I'm quite the fan of the Auto-Tune the News series. There's no shame in using auto-tune. I actually like the sound you can get out of it. It's just been beat to death in pop music and it makes me wonder who can actually sing and who can't. But what do I know? Jimi Hendrix and Bob Dylan can't sing worth a damn but they make it work.

Anyhow...This is the lesson I used to start learning music theory.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

It's a lot of info so don't expect to get it in one sitting. I don't know how to determine key without a guitar so rap music is beyond me. Once your ear gets used to recognizing things you should be able to at least determine if the song is in a major or minor key just by ear.